Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are told by some Christians that when you have sex with a person you are married.
Jesus said, when you look on a person with lust you are considered to be one flesh -- thus married.

Questions for non-LDS: Are you married to everyone you lusted after? If so, do you need to formally get a written statement of divorce from each of them?

Question for LDS: When you lust after someone are you married to them? If your current spouse has lusted after a person are you then married to that person too? If your wife lusted after a Man, are you also married to him? Are those of the LDS faith who lusted after others also sealed to the person lusted after? If your Spouse lusted after a Man, are you also sealed to him?

Genesis 2:24 – Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Matthew 5:28
J.B. Phillips New Testament
27-28 “You have heard that it was said to the people in the old days, ‘You shall not commit adultery’. But I say to you that every man who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her—in his heart.

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are told by some Christians that when you have sex with a person you are married.
Jesus said, when you look on a person with lust you are considered to be one flesh -- thus married.

Questions for non-LDS: Are you married to everyone you lusted after? If so, do you need to formally get a written statement of divorce from each of them?

Question for LDS: When you lust after someone are you married to them? If your current spouse has lusted after a person are you then married to that person too? If your wife lusted after a Man, are you also married to him? Are those of the LDS faith who lusted after others also sealed to the person lusted after? If your Spouse lusted after a Man, are you also sealed to him?

Genesis 2:24 – Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

27-28 “You have heard that it was said to the people in the old days, ‘You shall not commit adultery’. But I say to you that every man who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her—in his heart.
I don't believe Christ said if you look at someone with lust you are one flesh. He said you have comitted adultry in the heart. Also keep in mind the constant use of hyperbole in Jewish tradition. Be blessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironhold
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Answer to all questions is NO. That being said lust is a sin. There is nothing about marriage in this scripture:
(New Testament | Matthew 5:28)

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Adultery is not marriage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe Christ said if you look at someone with lust you are one flesh. He said you have comitted adultry in the heart. Also keep in mind the constant use of hyperbole by Jewish tradition. Be blessed.

Pretty much this.

It was Jesus noting that negative thoughts are functionally as bad as the actions themselves, as one precedes the other.

It shouldn't be taken as literally as the OP claims they should.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe Christ said if you look at someone with lust you are one flesh. He said you have comitted adultry in the heart. Also keep in mind the constant use of hyperbole in Jewish tradition. Be blessed.

New International Version
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Contemporary English Version
But I tell you if you look at another woman and want her, you are already unfaithful in your thoughts.

Weymouth New Testament
But I tell you that whoever looks at a woman and cherishes lustful thoughts has already in his heart become guilty with regard to her.

who looks at
βλέπων (blepōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 991: (primarily physical), I look, see, perceive, discern. A primary verb; to look at.

a woman
γυναῖκα (gynaika)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 1135: A woman, wife, my lady. Probably from the base of ginomai; a woman; specially, a wife.

to
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's Greek 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

lust after
ἐπιθυμῆσαι (epithymēsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's Greek 1937: To long for, covet, lust after, set the heart upon. From epi and thumos; to set the heart upon, i.e. Long for.

her
αὐτὴν (autēn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Feminine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

{has} already
ἤδη (ēdē)
Adverb
Strong's Greek 2235: Already; now at length, now after all this waiting. Apparently from e and de; even now.

committed adultery with
ἐμοίχευσεν (emoicheusen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 3431: To commit adultery (of a man with a married woman, but also of a married man). From moichos; to commit adultery.

Matthew 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Answer to all questions is NO. That being said lust is a sin. There is nothing about marriage in this scripture:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

1 Corinthians 6:16

16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”

1. Genesis 2:24
    Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Matthew 19:5
    And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
  3. Matthew 19:6
    Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
  4. Mark 10:8
    And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
  5. 1 Corinthians 6:16
    What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
  6. Ephesians 5:31
    For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Scripture does say friend sex before marriage or even in marriage with a woman of the night --- they become one flesh. In Genesis, marriage is defined as "one flesh". Granted, the proper commitment to marriage does not exist, you are right there.

I did say that "some Christians" claim that sexual relations equals marriage.

Thanks friend,
Daniel

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pretty much this.

It was Jesus noting that negative thoughts are functionally as bad as the actions themselves, as one precedes the other.

It shouldn't be taken as literally as the OP claims they should.

I am too tired and sick to think friend,
daniel

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Contemporary English Version
But I tell you if you look at another woman and want her, you are already unfaithful in your thoughts.

Weymouth New Testament
But I tell you that whoever looks at a woman and cherishes lustful thoughts has already in his heart become guilty with regard to her.

who looks at
βλέπων (blepōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 991: (primarily physical), I look, see, perceive, discern. A primary verb; to look at.

a woman
γυναῖκα (gynaika)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 1135: A woman, wife, my lady. Probably from the base of ginomai; a woman; specially, a wife.

to
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's Greek 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

lust after
ἐπιθυμῆσαι (epithymēsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's Greek 1937: To long for, covet, lust after, set the heart upon. From epi and thumos; to set the heart upon, i.e. Long for.

her
αὐτὴν (autēn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Feminine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

{has} already
ἤδη (ēdē)
Adverb
Strong's Greek 2235: Already; now at length, now after all this waiting. Apparently from e and de; even now.

committed adultery with
ἐμοίχευσεν (emoicheusen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 3431: To commit adultery (of a man with a married woman, but also of a married man). From moichos; to commit adultery.

Matthew 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
You have misconstrued scripture in order to fit your paradigm.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 6:16

16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”

1. Genesis 2:24
    Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
  2. Matthew 19:5
    And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
  3. Matthew 19:6
    Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
  4. Mark 10:8
    And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
  5. 1 Corinthians 6:16
    What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
  6. Ephesians 5:31
    For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Scriptures 1-6 are about marriage. Your first scripture involves two people, not one person:

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 6:16)

16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.

For instance if I steal something from you, that does not make you a thief. By the same token if a man lusts after a woman it doesn't make her a bad person, neither does it make her his wife. If a woman is forced it is not her sin. When a person is murdered they don't become a murderer just because they were murdered..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums