Marriage outside of the church you attend?

GabrielxBaker

Aug 7, 2019
Pittsfield
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recently I had a conversation with a friend of mine on how their church has said that you can only Marry someone who attends the same church as you do.

the way I understand it is you cannot be unevenly yoked I have never heard anything on you are stuck in your own church?

Any thoughts on this?

GabrielxBaker

Aug 7, 2019
Pittsfield
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have heard that your faith should be the same, like once saved always saved vs loss of salvation. But I have never heard only in your church :/ if I was able to marry, that would definitely leave me out of the running :)
that's what ive always been taught another large curve that I was just throw this persons church is part of a group of churches that call themselves the true church and they are the only churches of Christ... all other churches are incorrect :| starting to sound like a cult ...

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Recently I had a conversation with a friend of mine on how their church has said that you can only Marry someone who attends the same church as you do.

the way I understand it is you cannot be unevenly yoked I have never heard anything on you are stuck in your own church?

Any thoughts on this?
All churches do recommend "the same" denomination.
Marriage is hard enough without encouraging split marriages.
In most cases, both spouses stop attending when it happens.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts on this?
There are a lot of similarities between certain branches of the Christian faith. A semi-devout Presbyterian could probably marry a semi-devout Methodist without too much trouble, I suppose.

In general though, it's probably good advice. Marrying someone with as similar religious views as you as possible is one more point of commonality in the marriage. And you will need as many as you can get sometimes.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
that's what ive always been taught another large curve that I was just throw this persons church is part of a group of churches that call themselves the true church and they are the only churches of Christ... all other churches are incorrect :| starting to sound like a cult ...

Yeah, that was my initial instinct...it sounds a bit cult-like.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sometimes denominational differences can be a problem. Especially when the gap is large. There are some people I’d never consider dating because I have no interest in converting (or may be spiritually opposed to their teachings). I think common denominators in matters of faith are ideal.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts on this?
I would want clarification on whether they meant the same "type" of church they attend, or the actual same local church they attend.

I would imagine that when two Christians get married that they would desire to actually go to the same local church. I can't foresee a healthy marriage in which two Believers decide to attend two separate local churches. I've known Christians that attended separate churches when they met, and by the time they were married they were both attending the same local church. I've also known Christians that when they got married they each left the local church they attended and sought a "fresh start" at a completely new local church where they could lay down new roots.

Cult members like Jehovah's Witnesses would certainly say that one JW must marry another JW, but they wouldn't even go so far as to say that one JW can only marry a JW from their local Kingdom Hall.

If your friend goes to a Church where their Pastor is saying that the members literally cannot marry anyone outside of their local church - I would see that as a huge red flag and would probably think there are other, larger issues going on at that church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that that's true, but as for the admonition not to be yoked unequally to another, it's unequally that matters. Many if not most marriages between people of different Christian churches are certainly not a matter of being yoked unequally.

So if you were to marry a Christian of another denomination, it would matter if they impeded you in the exercise of your own faith, but if they accommodated it --and I don't mean converting to it--that would not be a case of an unequal yoking, in my view. :)

If we were talking about marrying a non-Christian, that would raise additional concerns, but that would depend to some degree on what the religion was.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Misuse of the word (all).

For ones who have attended several different churches in their lifetime
they know that Not To Be True.

We have a few young singles in our church at this time.
All members of (Bible believing churches) are welcome to date.
MB

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Misuse of the word (all).

For ones who have attended several different churches in their lifetime
they know that Not To Be True.

We have a few young singles in our church at this time.
All members of (Bible believing churches) are welcome to date.
MB

True, we sloppy liberals allow in most anyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums