Los Angeles
✟7,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last week I posted a thread because my wife is hysterically controlling and possessive. She is forbidding me to play tennis in a mixed setting where any other women are on the court. It feels really weird. it is like I'm not able to just relax and be myself. There is no history of cheating or anything of the like. I really need some advice. I chose to participate in a tennis drill clinic the other day where there were 8 guys and one girl and now she won't talk to me because I told her that I played. I really can't put up with this its driving me crazy.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last week I posted a thread because my wife is hysterically controlling and possessive. She is forbidding me to play tennis in a mixed setting where any other women are on the court. It feels really weird. it is like I'm not able to just relax and be myself. There is no history of cheating or anything of the like. I really need some advice. I chose to participate in a tennis drill clinic the other day where there were 8 guys and one girl and now she won't talk to me because I told her that I played. I really can't put up with this its driving me crazy.

Sounds like you may have to make a choice. If you value her enough in your life, you may need to knuckle under and never play tennis if other women are involved in any way.

If on the other hand you can't take it, you may simply have to tell her that the marriage may not work out. There's an outside chance that she might soften her position if you tell her that, but I wouldn't tell her anything of the sort unless you really mean it, and are prepared for the consequences of saying so.

Upvote 0

tennis4375

Aug 27, 2017
Los Angeles
✟7,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that were the only thing I guess I could consider it but it seems to seep over into other areas. She doesn't really allow me to have friends to go just hang out with? Go have lunch with etc. It doesn't feel normal to me? I have encouraged her to go make some friends and do things with them. I just need some space to be me and have my own identity. I feel suffocated.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that were the only thing I guess I could consider it but it seems to seep over into other areas. She doesn't really allow me to have friends to go just hang out with? Go have lunch with etc. It doesn't feel normal to me? I have encouraged her to go make some friends and do things with them. I just need some space to be me and have my own identity. I feel suffocated.

Can the two of you go to counseling ???

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I understand. But I suppose the underlying theme here is that you are allowing yourself to be treated unfairly. I think you need to address the reasons why. Are you unsure of yourself? Does the relationship mean too much to risk losing it? Do you feel responsible for keeping the relationship going at any cost?

It appears the complication lies with you. You seem frozen through indecision.

Like I said, her control issues will eventually destroy the relationship anyway, so I advise you to warn her that if she keeps forcing the issue you will eventually have to make a choice.

Have you ever asked her to play tennis with you?

Upvote 0

tennis4375

Aug 27, 2017
Los Angeles
✟7,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand. But I suppose the underlying theme here is that you are allowing yourself to be treated unfairly. I think you need to address the reasons why. Are you unsure of yourself? Does the relationship mean too much to risk losing it? Do you feel responsible for keeping the relationship going at any cost?

It appears the complication lies with you. You seem frozen through indecision.

Like I said, her control issues will eventually destroy the relationship anyway, so I advise you to warn her that if she keeps forcing the issue you will eventually have to make a choice.

Have you ever asked her to play tennis with you?

Do you think her playing tennis with me would cure the control issues? I don't really think it would. I'm not sure what is driving this issue but I know it needs to stop. She is going to have to make a decision.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She is going to have to make a decision

If you mean she will because you are not going to stop playing tennis, then yes. I agree. And that's taking a position I think you need to take, only as I stated in the previous thread, try to do so in love, still holding out hope for the relationship.
Do you think her playing tennis with me would cure the control issues?

It wouldn't hurt to try. If anything, at least it says that you are still willing to hold out an olive branch, and try to make the relationship work somehow.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything you do that your wife doesn't want you to do will erode her love for you, regardless of how fair it should be that you do it. It's just simple cause/effect reality.

Usually suspicion is a protective, emotional reaction to a feeling of danger. Would you be willing to be an open book to her so she can verify for herself that you are not engaging with the opposite sex inappropriately? This would include full digital transparency, etc. If so, you may put a lot of her seemingly excess fears to ease, which would make things a lot easier for you and may save your marriage.

What do you think of these articles?

Independent Behavior

Annoying Habis and Independent Behavior #2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you think her playing tennis with me would cure the control issues?
No. Why? Because she is with you and monitoring every move you make. If you even so much as smile and say hi to any woman, you will never hear the end of it. You need space away from her, not doing even more things with her. And as you said, it spills into other areas so it's not about who you're playing tennis with. It's about her control. Play tennis with her, and you lose in her game of control. This is why boundaries are so necessary. Marriage is not about winning and losing a game of control. It's about partnership where you are together because you want to be together.

I agree with Hidden. By the sounds of things, you have been playing tennis a long time - long enough for her to know that there is no reason to be so distrusting. Might be an interesting conversation to have with her when she tries to control, is to ask "what are you so afraid of?" or "what's the worst that can happen?" If she says she is afraid you are going to be attracted to another woman, then you can say "is that really what you think of me? Do you really think I do not have the integrity to keep my vows?" If she has already formulated this kind of thinking, there will be little to nothing that you can do about it. You can't change her opinion of you, and if she is going to nurse her negative thinking and assumptions of you, then there is nothing left to the marriage. And there is the boundary - she can nurse her assumptions all she wants, but you can choose to not live with someone who does not believe in you (or whatever else you are going to do in order to cope with her negative thinking about you).

This is where a lot of abused people truly suffer - and you have already said you are losing your identity... you start losing your voice in the marriage. You start believing the abuser is right, and then eventually you lose yourself, you lose confidence, you lose your true purpose in life, you lose your own perceptions. You question everything you know to be true about you. Don't let this happen to you! It's so much easier to do in the early stages than if it's been going on for decades... please read the book Boundaries (or Boundaries in Marriage - either will do) by Cloud and Townsend. You are not responsible for her jealousy. You are not responsible for her control issues or for what caused them. You are responsible for you, and for how you respond to her attempts to control.

You are using phrases like "she is forbidding me to play..." and "she does not allow me to have friends..." I am assuming you are a grown man, so you do not need to ask permission. She is not your parent. It is a matter of courtesy if you simply tell her where you're going or what you're doing, but you do not need to ask permission. It should suffice to say "dear, I'm heading to the tennis court and will be home by (time)." That is how a mature person does marriage. And a mature spouse on the receiving end of that kind of comment is "thanks for letting me know. Have a good game!"

Ime, people like your wife, who frame everything you do with suspicion and negative assumptions, don't change unless they go for therapy, such as cognitive therapy, where she develops an awareness of her thinking and then use self-talk to combat the negative thoughts. And of course, people like this don't typically think they need therapy - usually these kinds of people blame everyone but themselves.

Praying for you.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yours.

His marriage will not be helped if he purposefully does things that his wife is very strongly against.

Whatever he does that his wife is adamantly opposed to will emotionally hurt her, and therefore his marriage.

You may not agree with her positions, but nevertheless, they are the way she vehemently feels, so if he does them anyway he will be setting off a grenade in his marriage.

Better to deal with the situation, which is challenging enough, without the collateral damage from the grenade.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here are some of the highlights of the portions of your advice that are harmful, which is wherever you advised him to purposefully do things that he knows his wife does not want him to do WITHOUT first resolving the problem:

No. Why? Because she is with you and monitoring every move you make. If you even so much as smile and say hi to any woman, you will never hear the end of it. You need space away from her, not doing even more things with her.

By the sounds of things, you have been playing tennis a long time - long enough for her to know that there is no reason to be so distrusting.

If she says she is afraid you are going to be attracted to another woman, then you can say "is that really what you think of me? Do you really think I do not have the integrity to keep my vows?"

if she is going to nurse her negative thinking and assumptions of you, then there is nothing left to the marriage. And there is the boundary - she can nurse her assumptions all she wants, but you can choose to not live with someone who does not believe in you (or whatever else you are going to do in order to cope with her negative thinking about you).

please read the book Boundaries (or Boundaries in Marriage - either will do) by Cloud and Townsend.

A better book is Lovebusters, by Dr. Willard Harley, which would help him understand exactly what he's doing that bothers her and how to fix it WITHOUT damaging her love for him.

You are not responsible for her jealousy. You are not responsible for her control issues or for what caused them. You are responsible for you, and for how you respond to her attempts to control.

I am assuming you are a grown man, so you do not need to ask permission. She is not your parent. It is a matter of courtesy if you simply tell her where you're going or what you're doing, but you do not need to ask permission. It should suffice to say "dear, I'm heading to the tennis court and will be home by (time)." That is how a mature person does marriage. And a mature spouse on the receiving end of that kind of comment is "thanks for letting me know. Have a good game!"

If he follows your advice he will not only not fix his problem but he will damage his marriage greatly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
He is the one who has identified time away from her as a need. He is feeling smothered by a contolling (which is abuse) wife. He needs to not be smothered. Why are you protecting the abuser?

OP: get the book Boundaries or Boundaries in Marriage by Cloud and Townsend. You are lacking boundaries and she has learned she can control you. You need to reclaim your voice and position in this marriage. Whatever damage the previous poster thinks my advice will harm in your marriage is only leaving you in a position to continue being controlled. It is your wife who has caused damage. You can be responsible for you, and for your choices. How she responds to those choices you make is her business. You are not responsible for her misery, just as she is not responsible for yours. You can choose how to respond to her attempts at control. You can continue letting her control and destroy your marriage that way, or you can establish boundaries on how you respond to her, and upset her for a while till she realizes she can't push you around anymore.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is the one who has identified time away from her as a need. He is feeling smothered by a contolling (which is abuse) wife. He needs to not be smothered. Why are you protecting the abuser?

OP: get the book Boundaries or Boundaries in Marriage by Cloud and Townsend. You are lacking boundaries and she has learned she can control you. You need to reclaim your voice and position in this marriage. Whatever damage the previous poster thinks my advice will harm in your marriage is only leaving you in a position to continue being controlled. It is your wife who has caused damage. You can be responsible for you, and for your choices. How she responds to those choices you make is her business. You are not responsible for her misery, just as she is not responsible for yours. You can choose how to respond to her attempts at control. You can continue letting her control and destroy your marriage that way, or you can establish boundaries on how you respond to her, and upset her for a while till she realizes she can't push you around anymore.

So he is here because his marriage is falling apart due to purposefully doing things against his wife's wishes.

And you are here advising him to redouble his efforts to do so even more, and create even more resentment inside of his marriage, instead of to considerately address the issue with his wife?

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
He is here because his wife is too controlling and he has no freedom to be himself. However, this is not a debate board. He came here for advice and I offered mine. I'm not here to argue with you or be criticized by you. He is intelligent enough to know what advice may or may not work in his marriage.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think her playing tennis with me would cure the control issues? I don't really think it would. I'm not sure what is driving this issue but I know it needs to stop. She is going to have to make a decision.

Tennis, YOU are actually the one who has a decision to make.

If I were you, I would eliminate mixed sex tennis until you have resolved this problem because each time you do so, you make your problem worse.

What does she describe about your behavior that bothers her? Try to describe the problem to us from her perspective? How does she describe it?

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would ask if the wife watches or plays tennis along with him. It seems a bit out of the blue to just say "my wife is controlling" when we don't know if she has reason or not to be concerned. There must be a reason otherwise that isn't being explained here.

• Agree
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0