Los Angeles
✟7,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are so many issues it is really hard to put them into one thing but I'll do my best. I guess the first issue is "trust". I do not feel as though my wife does not trust me at all. This woman will not even let me go to the grocery store alone and it is suffocating me. I want to be in a relationship that is centered on trust. There has been no infidelity or any reason for the lack of trust. She is extremely possessive. Prior to our marriage I played mixed doubles tennis but now she won't allow that. I have given her no reason for this distrust so really don't understand why this is happening.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There has been no infidelity or any reason for the lack of trust.

She doesn't have the ability to defend herself here, so I always have to go lightly on these types of discussions. But if the above is true then you need to fight her over this, and stand up for your rights, not just as a husband but as a human being. She would be slowly destroying the marriage through insecurity, and you would be allowing her to if you don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: tennis4375
Upvote 0

tennis4375

Aug 27, 2017
Los Angeles
✟7,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we first stated dating this started to came up. I was playing a social mixer tennis drill and she one of the women high five me after and great shot and she went bezerk to the point of disrupting the entire club and then she told me I was no longer allowed to play any type of tennis where women were on the same court

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we first stated dating this started to came up. I was playing a social mixer tennis drill and she one of the women high five me after and great shot and she went bezerk to the point of disrupting the entire club and then she told me I was no longer allowed to play any type of tennis where women were on the same court

Yes, well, should she be allowed to tell you what you can and cannot do? I mean, would you have told her such a thing because she high fived some dude? Sounds like you are letting insecurity control the relationship. Do you feel guilty about what you did? If no, then you should tell her you didn't do anything wrong and stand by it, until she realizes the truth: That she should be ashamed of herself.

But only do this in a loving way, not a cruel or resentful one. Try holding her in your arms when you tell her this, so that she trusts that you still love her, in spite of her insecurities.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jealousy can be the result of repressed fears. Fears can be the result of repressed anger. The fear and anger are revealed in emotional outbursts. At the same time, jealousy can be the result of repressed desires. One may be thinking (outside of one's immediate awareness) about marriage infidelity. That could be based upon "reasonable suspicion" in the mind of the one who is experiencing jealousy.

In any case, one-half of the marriage might prayerfully and lovingly GENTLY approach the difficulty the other half is experiencing. The possibility of intervention by a Christian counselor or a fully trained Church pastor is there.

Note that I am not handing out a prescription and that you are in no wise expected to follow my suggestions.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But only do this in a loving way, not a cruel or resentful one. Try holding her in your arms when you tell her this, so that she trusts that you still love her, in spite of her insecurities.

Keep in mind also that she will probably try to pull away and refuse to listen. But this is where you have to be strong, and not continue trying to talk about it when it is only going to be an argument. Wait until you are close again (such as during intimacy if necessary), and then hold her, and let her know that you will NOT be unfaithful to her under any circumstances. But also tell her that the fact she is trying to dominate over your life because of her insecurities is being unfair and unloving to you.

Upvote 0

tennis4375

Aug 27, 2017
Los Angeles
✟7,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jealousy can be the result of repressed fears. Fears can be the result of repressed anger. The fear and anger are revealed in emotional outbursts. At the same time, jealousy can be the result of repressed desires. One may be thinking (outside of one's immediate awareness) about marriage infidelity. That could be based upon "reasonable suspicion" in the mind of the one who is experiencing jealousy.

In any case, one-half of the marriage might prayerfully and lovingly GENTLY approach the difficulty the other half is experiencing. The possibility of intervention by a Christian counselor or a fully trained Church pastor is there.

Note that I am not handing out a prescription and that you are in no wise expected to follow my suggestions.
I AGREE with every bit of what you are saying. Are you recommending that I just give in and live like this? I have been to several therapist with her and when she talks to them she goes "I'm not jealous at all" but her actions are not consistent with what she is saying? I just feel smothered and want to be able to live without the fear of how she might perceive something even though in my mind I'm not doing anything wrong. I could almost understand her position if I had cheated or done something In our relationship but there isn't any of that

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
This kind of control is abusive. It likely comes from a place of deep fear and insecurity, but it is still abusive nonetheless. It is not acceptable, so imo, how to address it is through boundaries. Start with non-threatening situations like make a time when you can go to a ball game with a buddy, and let her know it will just be you and your buddy. While you are with your buddy, let him know what is going on in your marriage so someone else knows what is happening - for support, prayer, and also as a witness if need ever be.

When you spend time apart from her, don't tell her every detail of your outing. Casually mention that you had a good time, and that being apart from her was actually good for you because it gave you an opportunity to miss her and experience the reunion after being apart for a bit. This will reassure her insecurities and also let her know that you value her. After all, how can you ever really value being together unless you have experienced being apart?

As you spend more and more time away from her, you can gradually introduce scenarios where there might be women present, such as the mixed tennis groups. After all, that seems a relatively benign activity. It's not like you're off to the strip bar to pay for lap dances.

Another thing to consider in all this, though, is where this might be coming from. While it could be her insecurity, it could also be that she is guilty of whatever she accuses you of, and she is accusing you (projecting) to take the guilt off of her own shoulders. To dig deeper into this, you could suggest that you go for couples therapy - not because she has a problem, but because you feel like you need help to move beyond some difficult feelings (being smothered, but don't tell her that).

Upvote 0

tennis4375

Aug 27, 2017
Los Angeles
✟7,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This kind of control is abusive. It likely comes from a place of deep fear and insecurity, but it is still abusive nonetheless. It is not acceptable, so imo, how to address it is through boundaries. Start with non-threatening situations like make a time when you can go to a ball game with a buddy, and let her know it will just be you and your buddy. While you are with your buddy, let him know what is going on in your marriage so someone else knows what is happening - for support, prayer, and also as a witness if need ever be.

When you spend time apart from her, don't tell her every detail of your outing. Casually mention that you had a good time, and that being apart from her was actually good for you because it gave you an opportunity to miss her and experience the reunion after being apart for a bit. This will reassure her insecurities and also let her know that you value her. After all, how can you ever really value being together unless you have experienced being apart?

As you spend more and more time away from her, you can gradually introduce scenarios where there might be women present, such as the mixed tennis groups. After all, that seems a relatively benign activity. It's not like you're off to the strip bar to pay for lap dances.

Another thing to consider in all this, though, is where this might be coming from. While it could be her insecurity, it could also be that she is guilty of whatever she accuses you of, and she is accusing you (projecting) to take the guilt off of her own shoulders. To dig deeper into this, you could suggest that you go for couples therapy - not because she has a problem, but because you feel like you need help to move beyond some difficult feelings (being smothered, but don't tell her that).

Very helpful post. I agree. I am going to start setting some boundaries. Right now it has gotten to the point that we are not talking. We slept in separate bedrooms last night. Very confused because I don't want to lose my marriage but I feel like I am losing my identity of who I am.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I AGREE with every bit of what you are saying. Are you recommending that I just give in and live like this? I have been to several therapist with her and when she talks to them she goes "I'm not jealous at all" but her actions are not consistent with what she is saying? I just feel smothered and want to be able to live without the fear of how she might perceive something even though in my mind I'm not doing anything wrong. I could almost understand her position if I had cheated or done something In our relationship but there isn't any of that
No, I don't recommend that you give in. Are you in love with her, totally committed to keeping the marriage intact? If so, respond to her accordingly.

Otherwise.........

I suggest that denial on her part is a usual reaction in these situations. She might seek to hide her uneasiness in order to hold you responsible for the tension. It is called "projection." One who does not deal with one's own frailties projects them onto the other person, holding the other person responsible for the tension, and thereby justifying one's self.

I'm surprised that the therapies you each have been through have not revealed or pointed out this somewhat typical situation.

Upvote 0

tennis4375

Aug 27, 2017
Los Angeles
✟7,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very helpful post. I agree. I am going to start setting some boundaries. Right now it has gotten to the point that we are not talking. We slept in separate bedrooms last night. Very confused because I don't want to lose my marriage but I feel like I am losing my identity of who I am.

Upvote 0