Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
is income something Christians consider when looking for a spouse OR doesn't matter as long as the person is Christian

did you/do you discuss income & money with your future spouse?
That this is even a question confirms the study ...

• Informative
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
how?
doubt they singled out only Christians to ask
Okay ... I believe that the revelation of the scriptures admonishes husbands to take care of their household.

2 Timothy 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

BTW ... the word husband actually has the meaning presented below ...

Definition of husband (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb

1a: to manage prudently and economically

Any man who is not prepared to manage his household prudently and economically ... is not ready to be married ...

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
saw this article just posted re marriage and income of men

Fewer people are getting married because there’s a shortage of economically-stable single men, says study

is income something Christians consider when looking for a spouse OR doesn't matter as long as the person is Christian

did you/do you discuss income & money with your future spouse?
I like Mark Gungor's approach to marriage. He said that you need to marry a person of character (whether you are looking for a husband or wife, makes no difference). The Bible is clear that working for a living is God's order. As long as the income is sufficient to live on and give some, I'd suggest it is sufficient. If you are marrying into a large debt or to someone who is irresponsible, that will create a big strain on the relationship.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
OR maybe this is a question that Christians won't answer?
Christians should be open and honest with prospective spouses. There should be few surprises after the knot is tied.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Since money is the leading cause of divorce and 50% of Christian marriages fail it seems foolish to ignore the issue.

Financial discipline is a must for me. I’m debt free and unlikely to consider someone financially encumbered. The same is true for my daughter and I wouldn’t sanction that union.

I pay attention to familial attitudes regarding money and discuss parental influences. I’m mindful if he’s frequently giving resources to loved ones in need and if they’ve grown dependent on that practice. Many do.

We are told the borrower is the slave of the lender. I make small allowances for business debt. But anything else requires prayer and consideration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Personally, income wasn't a factor for me when deciding to marry. We've gone through times of lay-offs, unemployment, lower wages, etc. and these things haven't threatened our relationship. I guess from my perspective I think: "What's the absolute worst case scenario? We lose all our things and end up living under a bridge? That doesn't sound unbearable." Not that it's come to that point, but I suppose understanding and not fearing the worst outcome makes it easier not to be stressed out about financial setbacks and allow them to damage the relationship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that prudence in considering a marriage partner, including economic viability, is wise and fitting for a Christian.

Just because someone is a Christian does not mean they are going to do all things well. A person may be a Christian and yet a financial disaster. Coming to faith doesn't mean all life skills are automatically granted.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since money is the leading cause of divorce and 50% of Christian marriages fail it seems foolish to ignore the issue.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christians should be open and honest with prospective spouses. There should be few surprises after the knot is tied.
Yeah - some churches (like the one I attended in college) discouraged that kind of communication.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you're going to form a union with someone everything should be prayerful considered. Finance is something that is going to be part of your daily life so there should definitely be a discussion about this before and during marriage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah - some churches (like the one I attended in college) discouraged that kind of communication.

Why? So much of headache could have been saved if they had those.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why? So much of headache could have been saved for having those.
Because that could upset their apple cart of the guy being responsible for EVERYTHING.

She was supposed to just shut up and go along with it - whatever "it" was.

BTW - side note: If the discussion (pre-marriage) ever was about sex, the church leadership would (and did a couple of times) dissolve the engagement and move one of the parties to another city or state.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since money is the leading cause of divorce and 50% of Christian marriages fail
Always helps to have accurate states.
"It’s a useful myth,” said Bradley Wright, a University of Connecticut sociologist who recently wrote “Christians Are Hate-Filled Hypocrites … and Other Lies You’ve Been Told.”
'the General Social Survey, a vast demographic study conducted by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago, and found that Christians, like adherents of other religions, have a divorce rate of about 42%. The rate among religiously unaffiliated Americans is 50%.

When Wright examined the statistics on evangelicals, he found worship attendance has a big influence on the numbers. Six in 10 evangelicals who never attend had been divorced or separated, compared to just 38% of weekly attendees.'

If it is advice about marriage try this lecture:-
William Lane Craig offers advice to Christians considering marriage

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Always helps to have accurate states.
"It’s a useful myth,” said Bradley Wright, a University of Connecticut sociologist who recently wrote “Christians Are Hate-Filled Hypocrites … and Other Lies You’ve Been Told.”
'the General Social Survey, a vast demographic study conducted by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago, and found that Christians, like adherents of other religions, have a divorce rate of about 42%. The rate among religiously unaffiliated Americans is 50%.

When Wright examined the statistics on evangelicals, he found worship attendance has a big influence on the numbers. Six in 10 evangelicals who never attend had been divorced or separated, compared to just 38% of weekly attendees.'

If it is advice about marriage try this lecture:-
William Lane Craig offers advice to Christians considering marriage

Does that also account for people that are married in "name only"?

;)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Six in 10 evangelicals who never attend had been divorced or separated, compared to just 38% of weekly attendees.'

Statistics don’t influence my behavior. I follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. The loss of a few points doesn’t negate the failures that took place.

I prefer to converse with people who have thriving marriages whose behavior confirms the happiness they attest. I want to know how they clung to God in light of their challenges and how they’ve grown as a result.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0