Colfax
✟8,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and a I have split financies due to earlier marital problems (he drained accounts and left). Since weve gotten married (2 years) ive always made slightly more than him and have far less debt. When we shared $, we blew through my savings and started buying things on credit and were always chasing to pay things off, it was stressful! Needless to say, he still lives this way. I am the only one contributing to the household expenses while he spends his on personal bills and credit card debt.

We recently developed a joint income that we had agreed would pay our joint bills. Now that the money is here, he is upset realizing that this still does not free up his money. It’s back to the let’s join everything again... I can’t go back to the controlling of where I’m spending and the I’ll spend it before you can behaviors. I feel stuck between putting my foot down and saying your the man and this is how we can off set your lack of contribution and responsibility vs just letting him spend as he pleases while I support the house hold.

We can’t agree and are getting resentful towards each other!! What are we missing?

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It really doesn't need to be difficult.

By what you've said, you both work. Split the bills 50/50 for things like rent, food, car insurance etc.

But he clearly needs to learn to live within his means. If you have credit card debt... that's what you spend your money on, not buying more things you don't need(need more than paying off mounting debt), or certainly buying anything that's adding to existing debt.

It might be best for you both in the long-term to tackle the debt you both have under the agreement things are going to be FRUGAL for the next couple years. Maybe try transfer credit from one card to another that has zero interest for 12 months or something and just hack away at it until you dwindle it down or pay it off. You can do that several times.

He needs to grow up, frankly. Money doesn't grow on trees and you can't live your life on credit. If he wants more money to spend then he needs to address that in his professional life and spend time working towards that end, not slacking off and using credit cards to buy the lifestyle he can't be bothered earning through hard work.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We went bankrupt when we both spent out of a single joint account to make all of our purchases.

Now we have multiple checking & Paypal accounts, each with their own limited purposes (some accounts are combined),
  • Hub account: receives paychecks, pays monthly bills (via on-line banking), automatically funds other accounts below, short-term savings; no checks, no card.
  • Larder account: for all food & dining; card only.
  • Snack account: another outlet for larder funds; card only.
  • Supply account: cleaning agents & toiletries; card only.
  • Internet account: high-risk transactions, normally low balance, connected to Paypal; card only. Use this account when you must authorize biller to draw out their payments.
  • Gasoline allowance: for routine, weekly gasoline; Paypal card only. One per driver/car.
  • Discretionary account: all the funds that are available after everything else has been paid, used for unexpected monthly expenses; card, paper checks.
  • His discretionary funds.
  • Her discretionary funds.

Black= sole account managed by gatekeeper; no discretionary funds.
Pink= Hers
Blue= His
Green= transactional accounts
Opt out of back-up funding for debit cards.

None of the funds may be used for other purposes (except emergencies) to stop raiding. If there is a build-up of unused funds, they may be sent to the Discretionary account or savings (at the Hub account) for re-assignment.

The gatekeeper owns each checking account to accommodate transfers. Joint accounts where partner is the manager of a specific account.

(I found out that this is a variation of the "envelope" accounting system.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband and a I have split financies due to earlier marital problems (he drained accounts and left). Since weve gotten married (2 years) ive always made slightly more than him and have far less debt. When we shared $, we blew through my savings and started buying things on credit and were always chasing to pay things off, it was stressful! Needless to say, he still lives this way. I am the only one contributing to the household expenses while he spends his on personal bills and credit card debt.

We recently developed a joint income that we had agreed would pay our joint bills. Now that the money is here, he is upset realizing that this still does not free up his money. It’s back to the let’s join everything again... I can’t go back to the controlling of where I’m spending and the I’ll spend it before you can behaviors. I feel stuck between putting my foot down and saying your the man and this is how we can off set your lack of contribution and responsibility vs just letting him spend as he pleases while I support the house hold.

We can’t agree and are getting resentful towards each other!! What are we missing?
Hi there is a guy named Dave Ramsey he teaches a class im sure you can go through the book together or find one on line or locally; its on Biblical financial advice. I know a lot of people this helps out. Those who lack discipline can learn from this. I do not endorse it 100% as God's call on your life is not always making a wise financial choice. My wife quit a high paying corporate job to teach in a Christian school for 1/3 the pay. This kind of move his program does not consider. Sounds like this would help you guys in laying out rules for spending and budgeting. It would not make you the heavy as it would be both of you under a program.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

There are two options I would choose, if I were you.

But before we get to those options, we have to admit out loud, and directly, the current plan sucks. You have tried to be reasonable. You have tried to negotiate. You have tried to work around him. The result is it sucks.

So we need to drastically change the way we do this. It's time to drop an atomic bomb in the middle of this, and snap him out of his stupidity.

Now if you grasp this, and are willing to say to yourself, I must lay down the rules, or I will be miserable for the rest of my life, or until I divorce him.

Possibility number one:
Simply quit. Just quit. How does that work? Stop paying the bills. Just stop.
I've seen this work. Just leave the bills on his desk, or couch, or whatever. Unopened.

When you go shopping, buy only food for you. Not him. Let him starve. When he complains, say it's time to be a man, and start taking responsibility. If you refuse, then you can buy, cook, and eat your food yourself.

Stop cleaning his clothes too. Just quit. We are either a couple, and a pair, or you are a roommate, and you can deal with your life yourself.

When he asks what is going on, just tell him you are done being his parents. He's the man of the house, and it's time he mans up and pays his bills. And he'll get on whiny, and you just tell him... you can whine all you want, but I'm not paying the bills. Don't argue about it. Don't fight. No matter what he says, just reply "nevertheless I am not paying the bills anymore".

Either he will snap out of it, or when the power is turned off, he'll snap out of it. Try and plan it out so they cut the power in the summer rather than the winter.

Perhaps you say that sucks and you don't want to go through it. Right, but if things keep going the way they are going, you'll end up divorced anyway. So might as well give it your best shot.

Possibility number two:
Move out. Move back with your parents. When he goes to work, pack up, and leave. He comes home, you are not there.

He will call you, and you just say "I want a husband, not a child I have to pay for. You either man up and pay the bills, or I'm staying with my parents until you grow up."

He'll freak out, and say he'll change. You'll come back a few days later.

And here's the kicker with this. It's a not a magic pill. It's not a three step program. You might have to do it several times. He'll go back to his old ways, and you pack up and leave for your parents house again.

You might have to ditch the guy several times... but eventually even a dog can be trained to not pee on the carpet. You just have to keep doing it.

Possibility number three:

You tell absolutely everyone. You tell his parents. You tell his pastor. You tell his brothers and sisters. You tell his relatives. You tell his friends. You tell everyone "My husband is doing this, and it is destroying our marriage. Can you talk to him for me?"

You tell EVERYBODY.

One last bit of advice. For some reason many women think the way you get serious problems fixed, is by yapping at someone. You can talk at a man until the end of time. I can tell already that you have been yapping at your husband for some time. Talking is equal to nothing. Do not engaging in lengthy lectures. It does not work. Not in our culture. I've heard rumors that it works in Japan, that people will just get a tongue lashing, and they change their ways.

That's there, not here. You can talk until you pass out from exhaustion, and absolutely nothing will change. You need to confront with actions. Not words.

Again.... the only way you are going to have the courage to confront your husband, is if you understand that this is a doomsday situation. If you do not deal with this, you will end up in divorce. So you might as well attack this head on.

Either quit... just stop paying the bills, and let him figure it out or the power is turned off....
Tell absolutely everyone in his entire life... and let them pressure him to man up....
Or simply ditch him. He goes to work, comes back, and you are missing with all your stuff....

Action is what is needed. No more talking. Do not debate him on this, or argue with him, or have a lecture time. You need to make some moves.

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People don't tend to think about it in these terms, but there really is such thing as financial infidelity. The Bible teaches that when a man and woman get married, two become one, and that is in every sense--physically, financially, relationally, etc. There is an old wedding vow that says "...and with all my worldly goods I thee endow."

With that said, your husband committed serious financial infidelity through the actions you described early on in the marriage. Have you worked through that at all? I can understand from a practical sense why you would keep your finances separate, but that separation is a symptom of a lack of trust that exists between you and your husband, and that is a marriage-killer. What you are doing right now isn't working, and the only good solution is for you to combine your finances again. Obviously the problem with that is that he is not acting like an adult financially, and you are having to essentially babysit him with the arrangement you have right now.

I would suggest signing up for a Financial Peace University course near you. It is a fantastic course on how to deal with finances and financial problems. I get the sense, though, that this might not be enough and that you could both really benefit from marriage counseling. Ultimately this whole problem doesn't go away until he changes his behavior, but I think you have to acknowledge and be honest that this is an overall marriage problem and not just a financial one. You both really need to have joint finances, but you won't be able to do that until you can trust each other, and you won't be able to trust each other until he starts changing his behavior.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0