Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This may not be a popular teaching, but I completely agree. :oldthumbsup: We should be very careful regarding who we marry, and should only be seeking the person God has for us. I won't even consider someone unless I know they are a Christian, and there is evidence of the Holy Spirit working in them.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd emphasize 1 Cor 7:39 (which he only uses in a supporting role here) rather than Malachi 2, mainly to lead with New Testament instruction to take away the excuse people make as soon as they see an Old Testament verse being used as evidence; such people need that. But I generally agree with him. 1 Cor 7:32-35 talks about how our loyalties are divided between the world and God when married, but if your spouse is a Christian, you can hold each other accountable to God (and most of that will be indirectly, expressed by how you live) and more easily confirm his will for your next steps because you both have the Holy Spirit.

Edit: I see that this was originally part of a series on Malachi itself, so it is more appropriate in that context to lead with Malachi. It looks worse when standing alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What it looks like is a series when I posted it (Key word: Lessons). There's a lot said in the article itself as well. Nothing here looks "bad" as you say, but a lot being aligned with the Bible. You can't pick pieces of the Bible, but take it as a whole. That is quite important when reading articles such as these online or hearing the opinions of others. This is why we are told to test everything.

• Friendly
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree in general with the whole premise of the article. There are critiques I could give of certain things the author said, but I won't go that far. I will just say that it is very redundant and that most of the points could be made concerning disobeying any command God has given in the Bible. I also am not so much a fan of the author's dogmatic approach to the topic, coming at it from the standpoint of all of the horrible things about making a decision to marry someone who is not a Christian. I tend to appreciate moreso starting with the Gospel as the foundation and then moving from there. I also appreciate when there are more positive points made about the joy that results from obedience to God rather than bombarding readers with negative arguments.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then you miss the point entirely. Don't forget that this is a series of "lessons". From reading the Bible over, I have found what this person is talking about isn't far off the truth.

You're looking for positiveness over the truth, is what I gather. I really don't see how any of this is bombarding anyone. This certainly is not a popular since it does not tickle the ears...

• Friendly
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then you miss the point entirely. Don't forget that this is a series of "lessons". From reading the Bible over, I have found what this person is talking about isn't far off the truth.

You're looking for positiveness over the truth, is what I gather. I really don't see how any of this is bombarding anyone. This certainly is not a popular since it does not tickle the ears...

No, I entirely understand the point. I said I agree with his premise, just not his approach. The author is telling the truth, but not the whole story.
I have known people who will embrace something written or spoken as true or really well-done merely because it is written in a tell-it-like-it-is, punch-you-in-the-face-with-the-truth type of way. We can’t judge the truthfulness of something by whether or not it “tickles the ears,” but by how it aligns with Scripture. It is true that it is a sin to marry a non-Christian. Sin in general can impact us and the people around us in the way that the author describes. Lying, stealing, lust, pride, etc. I could write a very similar article inserting any of those things in there. But we can’t be guided by dogmatic articles and sermons that tell us what we are doing wrong, tell us how sinful we are, etc. and then leave it there. The Gospel has to be part of the conversation, otherwise we are no different than any other religion that is guided by rule-following. We don’t obey so that God will love us, we obey because He already does. If that truth is left out, you might have identified the thrust of a specific passage, but you have left out the entire theme and storyline of Scripture. Leaning on the truths of the Gospel is where joyful obedience comes from, not from white-knuckling.

It really all comes down to this: we need reminding of the danger and deadliness of sin, but just as often, if not moreso, we need reminding of the work of our Savior on our behalf. There is no more vivid picture of how God feels about sin than Jesus’ death on the cross.

I hope you don’t feel offended by my critique. I scrutinize the pastors that I listen to and read the same way.

Upvote 0