Market Basket Strong!!

thetorncloak

Aug 12, 2014
✟15,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Considering that I shop at Hannaford, Stop & Shop, Whole Foods and Roche Bros...
the whole ordeal is bizarre to me.

Yet, it's good to see employees actually care for where they work. What a change from what I am used and the idea that (unless I am wrong,) the corrupt, overpaid union (possibly criminal) heads decide to strike and cause havoc (as what happened a few years ago with Stop & Shop.)

Yet, this ordeal says a lot about the Market Basket company.
Then again, it could be a corrupt union... or maybe even a legitimate union...
the news is convoluted regarding this whole matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My pieces of the puzzle may be >

There are two DeMoulas cousins who have had ownership and control of Market Basket. Each cousin has had about half the ownership and voting control by means of stock ownership. Then two board members left and the replacement board members backed the non-CEO cousin and he used his newfound power to fire his cousin who had been CEO. And the workers now have gone on "strike", in order to get the fired cousin returned as their CEO.

The workers have had a very good arrangement, working under the CEO who was fired.

The cousin who fired his CEO cousin accused the CEO of helping Market Basket to buy land from a company which could give profit to the fired CEO; so supposedly the fired CEO could arrange a land sale at much more than the land's value, so that he and the land company could make a lot of money. But judges had ruled that the accusing cousin has not been clearly correct in some number of cases. In one case, even, the sold land turned out to be valued at more than the price Market Basket payed the fired cousin's partner land company.

Market Basket employees do not have a union, but they have had pretty good pay and vacation and other benefits. Possibly, in my opinion, the company has paid-up to give workers benefits which are pretty decent but cost the company less than if they had to pay what a union would arrange. And the workers do not have to pay money to a union. So, may be they have worked things in between, so both the company and workers get and pay less than if there was a union.

Stop and Shop has a union, and ones seem to think they have higher prices but also better quality. It is said that if Market Basket raises its prices, they won't be able to get away with cheaper quality products for higher prices. But I have found their quality can be good. And they have products that Stop and Shop does not have . . . maybe including in international products; though Market Basket is "cheap", I get the feeling they know what they are doing. But Stop and Shop can have things Market Basket doesn't have. It's not clear to me if either chain has consistently better quality, for the two stores I have shopped.

Ones are saying Market Basket workers need to go back to work, for the good of the community and themselves and the company. But it seems worker leaders are saying their return to work would allow the present cousin in control to stabilize business so he could take a while to find someone other than the fired CEO cousin to buy the chain. So, they feel, if I understand correctly, that they have to keep the shutdown of business going so there can't be a desirable business available for someone other than fired CEO to buy. They're forcing the ruling cousin's hand, it seems.

It seems to me that the present cousin in power possibly is able to change things so the workers do not have the benefits they have had. And he has made claims that courts did not back up, against the fired CEO. And the workers are choosing to make this sacrifice. So, I am respecting them, by not shopping there. My personal feeling is I would like the fired CEO to get the company, if he is going to be good to the workers and keep the prices down. He has already done this, with success, I guess; so . . . we will see :)

God knows who people really are. And if we try to make our lives nice the way we want, this can be without submitting to God (2 Corinthians 5:15). So, yes they need to give themselves to Jesus, in any case, or else nothing . . . even if it is a "good deal" for them . . . will do them the good they really need. So, if ones or most of them are not Christians, this is the main thing to be concerned about. If they have been setting their hearts on the benefits and security of Market Basket employment, their hearts can be broken. We need to depend on You, instead, LORD our Father :) "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thetorncloak

Aug 12, 2014
✟15,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for "synopsis" (my joke term), hah! ... I can see that this is quite a complicated matter. And I appreciate your exhaustive explanation. Based on WBZ, WPRO and such; you have made the concept clearer and personal.

I'm not against unions also... just when they sacrifice worker pay for other pointless agendas, push the agenda for everyone to vote for the usually Liberal candidate, and other such manipulation.
:waaah:
As if the union bosses need to act in order to justify their dues... maybe I can't separate such an organization from the "protection rackets" of old.
:smoke:

I do see them as needed against ruthless capitalists though.
And then, here is the question/definition of manipulation... on both sides.
My apologies for union rant and anime emoticon.

And as for your very good Biblical advice: I would find it hard for so many to follow such an implementation, even with many Catholics in the area (SEast Mass/RI), they seem to be more so hinged on their Holy Days and taking offense at Catholic criticism instead of living anything like a Christian life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just read some more. There was a time when co-owners were George and Telemachus Demoulas. George, the father of Arthur S., died, and Telemachus took control of the company. Then Arthur S. sued him for taking advantage of the company, and the court favored Arthur S.'s side of the family, by awarding them 50.5% control of the company.

But there is Rafaela who changed from Arthur S.'s side, in board member voting, and she thereby got Arthur T. in as president. But recently she changed back with Arthur S. and out went Arthur T. So, now we have him as the fired CEO showing a different kind of power.

Having a baby changes everything, they say. And having a widow who can change her mind can change a thing or two, too. I would say some amount of personal things have effected what she has decided to do.

Here is a link to the summary of the history of Market Basket's present situation, family tree things included >

Market Basket feud opens opportunity for farm stands

People have feelings. Every person involved is feeling some things and thinking things about this. And not all people are the same way, to say the least. And my experience and observation of people, including myself :), is that many people of opposite positions are sure they are right and even that what they are doing is a good idea.

A lot of people are being effected emotionally; it is not only a news story or some thing to fill a dot in a history book. So, we need to care for these people, and enjoy the LORD who does things always right with us, no court needed to get Him to ! ! ! :) lololol

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Family owned companies often have conflicts in the 3 and 4th generation. We see it again here.
Author T seems to be a wise man who know how to treat his workers and run a business well. So while I seldom shop there I think the out comes was with Author T back as CEO is the best move.

This might be an early battle between the rich and the workers.
For the last 40 years companies have been working to keep salaries low even as the works have got way more productive. The workers have been working harder and smarter but have not been getting the added income the companies have made. That money ahs been going to upper management and the investors.

Author S saw that the company could pay the workers less in salary and benefits and so wanted to take over the company. The workers felt that Author T paid them a fair wage. Author T is following the old model of giving the workers a good salary and the family has been taking a smaller cut of the profits. Author S wanted to change the company to do what other companies have been doing for decades, give more of the profits to the share holders/owners.

I think as people realize that the workers have been getting 10K to 20K less salary each year and its been going to the owners instead we will see more workers asking in some way for their share of the profits the company is making. I think the MB workers and the public have done an amazing things that will be played out many times in the future.

Upvote 0