United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dave Griiffey at Daffey Thoughts keeps an eye on Mark Shea so we don’t have to:

Is to reject that behaviors and attitudes taught by the modern Left. Case in point:

This was brought to my attention over at Facebook. Apparently Mark Shea has been banned or somehow limited from Facebook for a time, times and half a time. Why? I don’t know, though I can imagine. The level of vitriol, calumny and sometimes outright falsehoods wrapped in personal attacks and character assassination that define his social media presence are a possibility. Or perhaps he posted something about historical Christianity. In today’s world, you never know what will invoke the glorious censorship.

Now it needs to be pointed out that Mark cheered when it was announced that Facebook, YouTube and other internet media giants would ban and censor alt-right, racist, white supremacist and other hate groups from their sites. A few tried to explain to Mark that this is too vaguely defined today, and could be used to broaden just who belongs under such labels as ‘hate group’. Mark, naturally, mocked such appeals to logic and reality. So you never know. In this little dose of poetic justice perhaps he’ll learn a lesson.

Nonetheless, I was struck by Ms. Fisher’s appeal to people not to critique Mark or criticize him. After all, he can’t defend himself! This is Mark. A man who, snug and safe behind his ‘ban’ key, gladly lets fly with name calling, personal attacks, false accusations, and near slanderous assaults against anyone and everyone who doesn’t snap to and align with Mark’s partisan opinions.

Heck, this is Simcha Fischer who,
in a heated debate about Harambe the gorilla, called upon her followers to descend on a young lawyer running for office and find ways to ruin the young woman’s career path. This after she wrongly accused the young woman of – you guessed it – being a racist. It isn’t as if the genteel Ms. Fisher is a stranger to inflamed rhetoric and her own brand of expletive laden broadsides.

Continued below.
Rules For Thee But Not For Me

• Informative
Reactions: paul1149

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hate social media. I hate all media. And I'm a media guy, my living comes from media. But I so badly wish I had the understanding and the means to press a button and forever destroy the entire apparatus.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Agree. I remember the days with out it, I grew up without the internet and I'm beginning to think those days were a whole lot better.

I do too, I agree 100%. I saw a tweet earlier today where a guy suggested that America ought to shutdown all media for 30 days and see just how peaceful it all gets. Internet, television, newspapers, radio, everything. Any system that's used to convey angering information and opinions—shut it down. I bet the country would be significantly happier, safer, and more unified if we did.

I mean, I'm not old, but my family didn't get internet access until I was about 11 years old. So I can remember life before the web. The golden age of the internet was probably from 1999-2003 or so, before the advent of the most popular social media sites (MySpace, Facebook, Twitter). I know Friendster predates them but I never knew anyone who used it.

There was a time when the web was pure information. It was less about 'networking' and more about just going online to look things up, e-mail, maybe chat with someone or a group of people, but really it wasn't the disinformation, opinionated, angry mess it is today.

I kind of look back at my middle school years, I was attending a brand spanking new school, and the library had those fruit colored iMacs. We would log on to the internet and the home page they set up for us was all kinds of different search engine options, it wasn't all dominated by Google. There was Lycos, Bing, Excite, Ask Jeeves, and a dozen other choices. My friends and I would make "profiles" on ExPage, we would chat using AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), my first e-mail account was with Hotmail. I actually liked a less accessible internet because in a way it made bad things just as much, if not more, difficult to find than they are today.

It was all so innocent.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do too, I agree 100%. I saw a tweet earlier today where a guy suggested that America ought to shutdown all media for 30 days and see just how peaceful it all gets. Internet, television, newspapers, radio, everything. Any system that's used to convey angering information and opinions—shut it down. I bet the country would be significantly happier, safer, and more unified if we did.

I mean, I'm not old, but my family didn't get internet access until I was about 11 years old. So I can remember life before the web. The golden age of the internet was probably from 1999-2003 or so, before the advent of the most popular social media sites (MySpace, Facebook, Twitter). I know Friendster predates them but I never knew anyone who used it.

There was a time when the web was pure information. It was less about 'networking' and more about just going online to look things up, e-mail, maybe chat with someone or a group of people, but really it wasn't the disinformation, opinionated, angry mess it is today.

I kind of look back at my middle school years, I was attending a brand spanking new school, and the library had those fruit colored iMacs. We would log on to the internet and the home page they set up for us was all kinds of different search engine options, it wasn't all dominated by Google. There was Lycos, Bing, Excite, Ask Jeeves, and a dozen other choices. My friends and I would make "profiles" on ExPage, we would chat using AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), my first e-mail account was with Hotmail. I actually liked a less accessible internet because in a way it made bad things just as much, if not more, difficult to find than they are today.

It was all so innocent.
Agree. Social Media made things so much worse. I kept my kids off the internet for as long as I possibly could. I wish we could do what you suggested in your first paragraph but we won't be able to of course. I have a facebook account but I hate it, I only keep it because it's the only way I can communicate with Church and keep up on some events. I'm old enough to remember back when the only news we had was the big three and they were for the most part straight news people. There was no 24/7 cable news opinion hosts. Of course people had their political opinions, etc but you had to wait to hear them around the Thanksgiving table to argue about it not get hit with it every time you open up your FB feed. And I'm conservative but I see idiocy from both sides. I've been trying not to post at all on social media. I think about something once, twice, three times before I post and then don't do it. I taught my kids the same. My sons hardly ever use social media.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hmmm.... that’s one Catholic apologist I’m not familiar with.
He did some good stuff years back. And then he went more and more political. And then I stopped reading him. When one's politics, of the left or right, becomes one's religion then one has lost their relevance to anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0