Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hey Mikey, do you wanna get together and contact the legal team for evolution in the Kansas fiasco? Maybe we can make a similar challenge for Harun Yahyah? I think he is easily the most dangerous fundie on Earth. He is what Hovind would be if Hovind were Muslim and intelligent enough to write for himself.

Upvote 0

Oonna

Trust Yourself
Mar 6, 2005
Could be anywhere!?!?
✟31,556.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Im just curious, is Bob Bakker the man ive seen on the science channel looking for Bones (Or was it eggs) in Montana ( i think it was Montana at least, it could have been one of the Dakota's)? Sorry its been a year or so since i saw the show im referring to.

Upvote 0

Lilandra

Princess-Majestrix
Dec 9, 2004
state of mind
Visit site
✟19,703.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
as well as the other judges.
http://www.studentofnature.org/debatejudges.htm

Aren't there a bunch of men on the science channel from time to time looking for bones?
Oonna said:
Im just curious, is Bob Bakker the man ive seen on the science channel looking for Bones (Or was it eggs) in Montana ( i think it was Montana at least, it could have been one of the Dakota's)? Sorry its been a year or so since i saw the show im referring to.

Upvote 0

the_gloaming

Mar 21, 2004
Ingalund
✟7,844.00
Faith
Agnostic
As long as Aron gets endogenous retroviruses and fusion of 2 chromosomes to form human chromosome 2 in there somewhere, I'll be happy.

Incidently, although I have seen attempted explanations for endogenous retroviruses (which are of couse flawed), I have not come across any that refute the chromosome fusion point. Has anyone heard of any ? If not then I don't see how Ramsey could refute that at all. He's certainly not going to come up with his own theories.

Upvote 0

mikeynov

Senior Veteran
Aug 28, 2004
✟2,746.00
Faith
Atheist
Aron-Ra said:
Hey Mikey, do you wanna get together and contact the legal team for evolution in the Kansas fiasco? Maybe we can make a similar challenge for Harun Yahyah? I think he is easily the most dangerous fundie on Earth. He is what Hovind would be if Hovind were Muslim and intelligent enough to write for himself.

I'll give you a PM.

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
the_gloaming said:
As long as Aron gets endogenous retroviruses and fusion of 2 chromosomes to form human chromosome 2 in there somewhere, I'll be happy.
The problem is that Ramsey demanded a very restrictive word limit, 2,000 words, excluding the first and last paragraphs, and whatever we quote from the other party. This wouldn't be so bad except that creationists can easily post hundreds of falsehoods in 1,000 words. So either most of my replies have to be extremely abbreviated, or I have to let stand some fibs that should have been addressed.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry for coming so late to the debate itself, but just a few comments about Ramsay's response.

From the very beginning he seems to be confusing a written debate with a call into Sean Hannity's show.

(quoting Aron) "…it doesn't matter how the first life appeared on the Earth. It could have been seeded by aliens, created by a god, [sic] arisen by chemical processes, or it could have come about by some other means as yet unidentified."

Aliens? Really! Where is "all the evidence" for this nonsense? Is this the beginning of "21st Century Just So Stories" by the Aron-Ra?

Wow! Aron offers the four currently plausible, however unlikely, possibilities for the advent of life, and yet he choses he focuses on the most socialiably mockable one.

Ugh it gets worse just in his next comment.

He should clarify whether or not he believes in abiogenesis, (or spontaneous generation of life), and since Francisco Redi, Louis Pasteur, and others disproved it over a century ago, why?

Actually Mr. Ramsay, abiogenesis is completely different from spontaneous generation as that disproven (by Pasteur) concept suggested things like Flies emerging from raw meat, Mice emerging from corn and Geese emerging from Barnacles whereas abiogenesis suggests that self-replicating "pre-life" would develop into self-replicating "life."

His rambling diatribe about abogenesis/evolution aside, let's look at the next landmine he gladly jumps on.

The second major portion of what is generically called 'evolution' in textbooks was more specifically referred to as ‘descent with modification’ by Darwin. This idea predates Darwin. The ancient Egyptians, for example, believed 2500 years before Darwin that a cow gave birth to the first human and hence worshipped cows. A well-known children's fairy tale speaks of a kiss turning a frog into a prince. Today evolutionists speak of time turning a frog into a prince. The more we learn about how biologic systems really work, we understand that a molecule-to-man evolution is nothing but a fairy tale 'dressed up in a lab coat.'

Actually, if he really wanted to be serious about the ancient origins of evolution as expressed by both Darwin and the Modern Synthesis, he should have cited Anaximander who first suggested life originated in the seas. As far as his suggestions that Egyptians worshipped cows, and therefore thought cows birthed humans - will he address the cat cult of Bast? But before I digress to far, evolutionary theory does not suggest that cows gave birth to humans and therefore his analogy is fallacious.

The "frog turns to prince" false analogy was done on the web by Fred M. Williams years ago, and falisfied about 10 minutes after he posted it.

And "molecules to man" or it's rhyming Siamese cousin, "goo to you via the zoo" is just as laughable as the parady of it I coined, "Clod to Bod via God." Thankfully science is not determined by semi-clever phrases.

These are logical and factual errors in the first few paragraphs of Ramsay's response. I realize that the talk radio/"gotcha" point debators out there will think he's wonderful, but I have to say I find him pathetic.

Upvote 0

Oonna

Trust Yourself
Mar 6, 2005
Could be anywhere!?!?
✟31,556.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
consideringlily said:
as well as the other judges.
http://www.studentofnature.org/debatejudges.htm

Aren't there a bunch of men on the science channel from time to time looking for bones?

Thanks, i looked all over for a bio with a good picture but i couldnt find one. And yes, the science channel has tons of men looking for bones, but not in Montana. Thanks again, i think thats him.

Upvote 0

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
This is like spectating on a ten round fight between Muhammad Ali and Carrot Top. It's not even round two and we're into the bluster, with stupid arguements and ridicule replacing anything resembling sensibility. Maybe it's a testement to these boards, but I've seen several creationists here who've put up a much better showing (Mark Kennedy, for instance, doesn't randomly insult people in the middle of a formal debate). This guy is in a position of power?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Walshicus

May 14, 2005
✟113.00
Faith
Buddhist
Alarum said:
This is like spectating on a ten round fight between Muhammad Ali and Carrot Top. It's not even round two and we're into the bluster, with stupid arguements and ridicule replacing anything resembling sensibility. Maybe it's a testement to these boards, but I've seen several creationists here who've put up a much better showing (Mark Kennedy, for instance, doesn't randomly insult people in the middle of a formal debate). This guy is in a position of power?

It makes me feel particularly thankful that I live on a continent where this kind of negligence for scientific evidence doesn't take place. I'm sure though that Aron will put Ramsey in his place.

Upvote 0

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Walshicus said:
It makes me feel particularly thankful that I live on a continent where this kind of negligence for scientific evidence doesn't take place. I'm sure though that Aron will put Ramsey in his place.
Europe? Don't make me laugh. You guys are building that absurd sun reactor in France. I wonder how many billion that failure will cost?

Upvote 0

cerad

Zebra Fan
Dec 2, 2004
✟10,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Valkhorn

the Antifloccinaucinihilipili ficationist
Jun 15, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟11,624.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Europe? Don't make me laugh. You guys are building that absurd sun reactor in France. I wonder how many billion that failure will cost?

I read the article. Seems like a damned good way to spend that money - especially considering the US has spent more than 20 times that on a war in Iraq.

Like it or not, fossil fuels WILL run out at the rate we're using them, so any study into any alternative energy sources are a good idea. Something that would operate like the sun is a great idea, considering that the Sun is the only real source of all our energy in our solar system.

Upvote 0

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Edx said:
Isnt fusion the way to go? I mean seriously?

Ed
Probably, in the LONG run, yes. But what they're building is a several billion dollar proof of concept. We know how it works. We need to figure out how to make it work for a long time. This will accomplish exactly ZILCH towards that.
Its goal will be to produce 500 megawatts of fusion power for 500 seconds or longer during each individual fusion experiment and in doing so demonstrate essential technologies for a commercial reactor.
Big news: if there was a viable commercial reactor someone would build it. We don't have the ability to run it for anywhere CLOSE to 500 seconds right now, and even if they somehow get to that using our horrible methods, they'll never get anything out of it.

Basically we're looking at a gigantic useless piece of showing off. The ability to make sustained fusion isn't available to us. The money SHOULD have been spent researching ways to make viable sustained fusion, instead of in this insanely expensive ego trip.

Hey, at least our politicians only throw bones to creationists. Yours throw billions to failed concepts in the name of sustainability. The sad part is that enemies of sustainability will be able to use the power consumed by this monstrosity and the absolute lack of solutions it'll produce as evidence that new-wave power sources are fatally flawed.

Upvote 0