Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I met Jesus,” says the Houston-area parishioner, “and he gave me a better understanding of my purpose in life, and what his plans are for my family and me, and what he has called on me to do.”

Several years ago, a Houston community newspaper cheered on the upcoming parish event of St. Paul the Apostle church in Houston. Called “Men Who Cook,” this event has been a major fundraiser to benefit the parish’s scholarships and its ACTS Retreats —a four-day and three-night lay retreat presented by fellow parishioners at a nearby retreat center. There are separate retreats for men, women and teens, and prayer is a primary factor.

One of the main leaders of the event has been Mario Enriquez, an immigrant who entered the United States from Mexico when he was 15 years old. Now married to his wife, Linda, for 28 years, they have raised four children and have now been blessed with three beautiful granddaughters. Mario was raised Catholic but was somewhat indifferent to his faith. He and his wife would attend Mass with their children, usually during the holidays like Easter and Christmas. “Our faith was not as strong in the beginning,” he said. “We just didn’t have a strong relationship with God.”

Continued below.
Mario Enriquez and the Men Who Cook

Reactions: public hermit