Margarine vs. Butter: What’s the Difference—and Which Is Healthier?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Regardless of whether you can believe it's not butter, you may wonder what margarine is exactly. It's creamy, yellow, and spreadable just like real butter, but there are major differences between the two products—the biggest being their ingredients.

Butter is a byproduct of milk, typically from cows. Churning the cream skimmed from milk creates a rich, semi-solid emulsion that can be used as a fat in baking and cooking or as a condiment. Though embraced by cuisines around the world, butter has become a topic of health debates. While it is a good source of calcium and vitamins, butter is also high in saturated fat, which has been shown to raise cholesterol.

Continued below.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Butter! :yum:

I remember when 'oleo' first came out. It came in a plastic bag with a yellow dye capsule inside. You let it get to room temperature then mixed the yellow dye by kneading the bag, then squeezing it out onto a plate. We tried it for awhile to save money but soon went back to butter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regardless of whether you can believe it's not butter, you may wonder what margarine is exactly. It's creamy, yellow, and spreadable just like real butter, but there are major differences between the two products—the biggest being their ingredients.

Butter is a byproduct of milk, typically from cows. Churning the cream skimmed from milk creates a rich, semi-solid emulsion that can be used as a fat in baking and cooking or as a condiment. Though embraced by cuisines around the world, butter has become a topic of health debates. While it is a good source of calcium and vitamins, butter is also high in saturated fat, which has been shown to raise cholesterol.

Continued below.

JS: We use both, but our butter substitute spread has no tras-fats and is made of healthier fats. Still if melted butter is called for and no meat involved we mix our butter with olive oil to lower the saturated fat and only use the butter substitute with meat.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My daughter's class made butter at school as a project. Then the cafeteria people gave her class rolls to put their fresh churned butter on.

I keep two different kinds around the house. I buy American butter for my unsalted uses and European butter or its equivalent (Amish roll butter is pretty close) for sauteeing/flavoring. My kids were at my grandmother's house and she made them grilled cheese sandwiches. They told me they tasted different and it occurred to me that Granny always uses margarine because she's too thrifty to pay for butter.

Of course, I've started doing grilled cheese with mayonnaise instead of butter. My friend's wife converted me to the method after we had some grilled cheeses at their house.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My daughter's class made butter at school as a project. Then the cafeteria people gave her class rolls to put their fresh churned butter on.

I keep two different kinds around the house. I buy American butter for my unsalted uses and European butter or its equivalent (Amish roll butter is pretty close) for sauteeing/flavoring. My kids were at my grandmother's house and she made them grilled cheese sandwiches. They told me they tasted different and it occurred to me that Granny always uses margarine because she's too thrifty to pay for butter.

Of course, I've started doing grilled cheese with mayonnaise instead of butter. My friend's wife converted me to the method after we had some grilled cheeses at their house.
Yeah I had never used the mayo method. I did not know about it until recently.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Continued below.

All baking requires real butter, the higher fat content the better for most baking applications. It's properties can't often be replicated - and when it is it's with things like lard etc.

However, general cooking is usually just after a touch of flavor, which can be replaced by the healthier option of olive oil and so forth. Regular olive oil (not extra virgin) has a "buttery" taste to it naturally, although you can sometimes mix EVOO with a little margarine to get some butter flavor.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All baking requires real butter, the higher fat content the better for most baking applications. It's properties can't often be replicated - and when it is it's with things like lard etc.

However, general cooking is usually just after a touch of flavor, which can be replaced by the healthier option of olive oil and so forth. Regular olive oil (not extra virgin) has a "buttery" taste to it naturally, although you can sometimes mix EVOO with a little margarine to get some butter flavor.
I never use margarine. It’’s very watery and I believe natural is best. I use butter or olive oil. Although canola is the healthier option, I always lean towards the olive oil.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I never use margarine. It’’s very watery and I believe natural is best. I use butter or olive oil. Although canola is the healthier option, I always lean towards the olive oil.

I'm weird on oils... I use canola, peanut, olive, sesame... lol. Depends on what I'm cooking (Chinese food requires the sesame flavor, peanut oil has a higher smoke point etc) , but I reach for olive the most...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm weird on oils... I use canola, peanut, olive, sesame... lol. Depends on what I'm cooking (Chinese food requires the sesame flavor, peanut oil has a higher smoke point etc) , but I reach for olive the most...
I swear, I have an oil collection. I think we are on the same page here. Sesame oil absolutely needs to be used in stir fry, etc.

Upvote 0