Marcus Borg passed away

Kaonashi

If God is thy father, man is thy brother.
Jun 8, 2004
Denver
✟13,333.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was greatly saddened a few weeks ago when tat Marcus Borg passed away. Christianity lost a good one.I don't think I would have ever given Christianity a second chance if it hadn't been for me randomly picking up Borg's The Heart of Christianity and discovering a Christianity that was so much more real and authentic then the American Evangelicalism I been brought up in.

RaylightI

Jun 29, 2014
✟3,622.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I surely disagree with his false teachings regarding Christ's divinity and resurrection and I find it very hard to accept such false teachings as representative to Christianity.

There are limits for everything and being Liberal doesn't mean denying Christ's divinity and actual resurrection. The likes of Marcus are going too far to the other direction where Christianity lose its true meaning, just like what fundamentalists did and doing.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of great teachings he said, specially about loving God and surely I agree with him on that and many other. Marucs is at the hands of God now, and may he rest in peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sitswithamouse

I look Time Lord
Mar 6, 2005
Devon, UK
✟13,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I had no idea Marcus had passed away.
Very saddening. :(
meeting Jesus Again For The First Time was his one book that helped me reconcile my (Closet deism) at the time.
Reading that book helped me become closer to Jesus again and gave me greater understanding of the Gospels.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I liked Borg as a writer, and consider him important to my faith, though I didn't agree with him on everything. I have several of his books in my library. I'm sad about his death, because I'm pretty sure I would've liked him if I'd known him, and because he won't be writing anymore books.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I read his books, I often felt that he somehow knew exactly which aspects of Christian doctrine and practice bothered me. It was like I had given him a list of questions and concerns and he then addressed each of them in one or more of his books. He made me realize that I was not alone in thinking that most Christian religions were far removed from truly following the Gospel of Jesus. Thanks Marcus, for that and much more.

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I'm pleased he has gone on to the next journey in life beyond the physical and into the arms of the Creator. I'm also thankful for the legacy he left behind for us all. He smoothed the path and cleared the way for others to follow.

Upvote 0