Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
“I don’t care how many candlelight vigils and musical performances you have from the cast of Hamilton, you’re not going to convince most normal and sane people that our government last year was almost overthrown by a guy wearing a Viking hat and speedos.” --Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)

Thoughts?

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟198,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with him 100%.

I'll add that if this was an Antifa or BLM protest that got out of hand, everyone would be making excuses for them.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with him 100%.

I'll add that if this was an Antifa or BLM protest that got out of hand, everyone would be making excuses for them.

But it wasn't Antifa or BLM that "got out of hand", it was Trump's people violently storming the US Capital to prevent the lawful process to certify the Presidential election.

What is your basis for saying that "everyone would be making excuses for them"?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But it wasn't Antifa or BLM that "got out of hand", it was Trump's people violently storming the US Capital to prevent the lawful process to certify the Presidential election.

Even that isn't true. Wanna try again?

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“I don’t care how many candlelight vigils and musical performances you have from the cast of Hamilton, you’re not going to convince most normal and sane people that our government last year was almost overthrown by a guy wearing a Viking hat and speedos.” --Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)

Thoughts?
The half-naked guy with the horns ... wasn't the only one present.

I'd seen him before ... at the site of previous Trump rallies ... and, if you ask me, ... he was/is pretty harmless.

However, there were some armed, and pipe-bombs were placed, and law enforcement officials were assaulted in large number, sprayed with bear-spray and beaten with the American flag.

Capitol windows and doors were smashed in, the halls of the Capitol were desecrated with urine and defecation, ... and the representatives of American federal governance were forced to flee for their safety ... as they attempted to perform one of the most sacred ceremonies of the passing of federal leadership.

Obviously, all of those present for the demonstration at the Capitol that day were not guilty of the excesses carried out by a relative few, ... and the investigation into illegal activity has largely focused only upon those who can be identified as participating in the actual perpetration of crimes that day. And the clear intent of this smaller segment of the assembled crowd ... was to halt the scheduled and Constitutionally required passage of the presidency to the winner of the prior election.

To allow our democratic governance to be hog-tied and held hostage to a mob on that day ... would forever set the precedent that, in America, ... the actions of a mob (1,000 or fewer) mean more than the votes of 150+ million ... and that is a precedent which I don't think that we want to set.

So ... should the perpetrators be arrested, tried, and sentenced to just punishments ... yes, ... for this is a chapter that we shouldn't repeat ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even that isn't true. Wanna try again?
How is that statement not true ... ?

Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟198,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Because they'd been making excuses for them all year long, looting vandalizing, and destroying businesses in Portland, OR, Chicago, IL, Minneapolis, MN and many other cities. Or maybe it was setting up law-free enclaves in places like Seattle, WA.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Rubio thinks that people are saying this about that guy he's way out of touch with what's being said.

But then he doesn't believe that, he just thought that was a clever statement to make, it just sounds silly to me.

• Agree
Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The half-naked guy with the horns ... wasn't the only one present.
He is often held up as typical of the demonstrators (although he wasn't) and the scene of him sitting at the Speaker's desk was made to be the most familiar scene on most news channels.

I'd seen him before ... at the site of previous Trump rallies ... and, if you ask me, ... he was/is pretty harmless.
It seemed so.

However, there were some armed, and pipe-bombs were placed, and law enforcement officials were assaulted in large number, sprayed with bear-spray and beaten with the American flag.
Well, that's not true.

Capitol windows and doors were smashed in, the halls of the Capitol were desecrated with urine and defecation
There apparently was one incident of urination, maybe from someone who couldn't hold it any longer and also couldn't get out of the building even when that was tried. This was the situation reported by others in attendance.

. and the representatives of American federal governance were forced to flee for their safety
Who'd you have in mind?

Obviously, all of those present for the demonstration at the Capitol that day were not guilty of the excesses carried out by a relative few, ... and the investigation into illegal activity has largely focused only upon those who can be identified as participating in the actual perpetration of crimes that day.
That isn't true, either. Relatively few of them have been charged with serious offenses and none have been charged with treason or insurrection despite the President and his allies in Congress constantly calling the experience an insurrection. Some people have been charged who didn't even enter the building but were simply identified as having been in the crowd.

To allow our democratic governance to be hog-tied and held hostage to a mob on that day ... would forever set the precedent that, in America, ... the actions of a mob (1,000 or fewer) mean more than the votes of 150 million ... and that is a precedent which I don't think that we want to set.
It cannot very well set such a "precedent" since there have much worse attacks upon the Capitol and its operations before this demonstration.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because they'd been making excuses for them all year long, looting vandalizing, and destroying businesses in Portland, OR, Chicago, IL, Minneapolis, MN and many other cities. Or maybe it was setting up law-free enclaves in places like Seattle, WA.
Perhaps it shouldn't be so ... but, currently, ... there is a difference ... between assaulting a Target in Portland ... and assaulting the seat of American federal government.

Just like there's a difference between threatening your neighbor ... and threatening the president of the United States ...

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟198,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it shouldn't be so ... but, currently, ... there is a difference ... between assaulting a Target in Portland ... and assaulting the seat of American federal government.

Just like there's a difference between threatening your neighbor ... and threatening the president of the United States ...

And there you go proving my point.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never heard or read where any representative or leader was making excuses for vandalizing and looting. Maybe you could show me where you read or heard it?

Upvote 0

Captain Ahab

Aug 7, 2020
Southeast
✟6,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2D40F01D-92F4-41D2-89D3-749670A952DF.jpeg

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Remember when Antifa took over Capital Hill in Seattle and basically succeeded from the nation? Some democratic politicians tried to label that a summer of love as it slowly turned into a crime infested homeless encampment.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I never heard or read where any representative or leader was making excuses for vandalizing and looting. Maybe you could show me where you read or heard it?
CHAZ/CHOP. The "Summer of Love". Google it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's not forget about when anti-Kavenaugh leftists stormed the Capital.

• Winner
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is often held up as typical of the demonstrators (although he wasn't) and the scene of him sitting at the Speaker's desk was made to be the most familiar scene on most news channels.
He's easily identifiable ... and, thus, made for good recognizable news coverage.

Well, that's not true.
What's not true ???
Some people have been charged who didn't even enter but building but were simply identified as having been in the crowd.
Who has been charged ... who cannot be connected to the criminal events of that day ?
It cannot very well set such a "precedent" since there have much worse attacks upon the Capitol and its operations before this demonstration.
That such an event threatened the transfer of the presidency sets a precedent, ... despite any othr previous attacks which have occurred ...

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CHAZ/CHOP. The "Summer of Love". Google it.
I know about this and followed it fairly well. When did a politician make EXCUSES for looting and vandalizing?

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let's not forget about when anti-Kavenaugh leftists stormed the Capital.
Or the labor groups who invaded the Wisconsin Capitol. Or the Puerto Rican nationalists who shot Congressmen while the latter were in session. Or the radical who shot at Congressmen on the baseball diamond because of his hatred for all Republicans and almost killed one of them. Or the terrorists who actually bombed the Capitol building a few years ago.

All of these could reasonably enough be considered MORE SERIOUS threats to "democracy" than January 6 was.

Upvote 0