March for Life today -- 'Science is Pro-Life'

Science is...

• Pro-Life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pro-Choice

• A religion run by a priesthood in lab coats

• Profane and vain babblings (1 Timothy 6:20)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
... For me, arguing is learning. If I think my reasons still stand at the end, it means I learned less.
OK, that explains a lot. I hope you can see that your opinion of the success your own arguments is likely to be slanted in your favour; it's called confirmation bias.

'Nuff said.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
YOU brought the issue of long-term.
Yes; I suppose asking whether a long-term threat to health counts as a threat to life, is redundant when birth is a threat to life regardless of timescale.

You're right - your argument is unsound regardless of timescale.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
OK, that explains a lot. I hope you can see that your opinion of the success your own arguments is likely to be slanted in your favour; it's called confirmation bias.

'Nuff said.

I tried hard not to be that way (for my own sake). After many years of training and experience, I believe I can see the weakness of my argument when it is reminded. And I will say thanks to the one who reminded me. Since I am educating myself, I won't want to cheat myself as much as possible.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes; I suppose asking whether a long-term threat to health counts as a threat to life, is redundant when birth is a threat to life regardless of timescale.

You're right - your argument is unsound regardless of timescale.

From the beginning, I suggested that biology is not on the side of abortion, on a short-time base. This scientific argument is clear and much less biased.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
From the beginning, I suggested that biology is not on the side of abortion, on a short-time base. This scientific argument is clear and much less biased.
Well that's incorrect. Biology does not take sides, and natural abortion occurs at all stages of pregnancy.

You can argue on moral and ethical terms whether wilful termination should be allowed, and if so, under what constraints, and you can use scientific data to delineate your moral and ethical position - that's what the abortion debate is about; but science, biology, and evolution have and make no moral or ethical claims or judgements, they can only inform our moral and ethical judgments.

Your argument was itself stillborn.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well that's incorrect. Biology does not take sides, and natural abortion occurs at all stages of pregnancy.

You can argue on moral and ethical terms whether wilful termination should be allowed, and if so, under what constraints, and you can use scientific data to delineate your moral and ethical position - that's what the abortion debate is about; but science, biology, and evolution have and make no moral or ethical claims or judgements, they can only inform our moral and ethical judgments.

Your argument was itself stillborn.

Biology can reason toward a side.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Then you should be able to demonstrate that chain of reason not just make assertions.

This might be logically sound, but it isn't useful or true in the real world:
1) Juvenissun's ideas are correct and reasonable
2) Juvenissun likes the idea of creationism
THEREFORE:
3) Creationism is correct and reasonable

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
As I said previously, biology can inform reasoning to favour a 'side' - but the choice of the 'side' is a choice based on human values, a moral and ethical one, not a scientific one (though, of course, it is behaviour emergent from the biology of the brain).

For example, you might decide that brain activity is the source of consciousness, self, and experience and without that there is no person; consequently, you might suggest that a foetus is not a person until it has a brain capable of such activity, and that therefore termination is justified up to that point but not beyond. In this case, you would have used science to inform your moral and ethical decision about when personhood is present or absent, and you could use science to establish roughly how long it takes before a foetus is a person by this definition.

But whether a termination is justifiable in the absence of personhood (by that definition) is a moral and ethical decision; some might say that what counts is the potential to achieve personhood, and that any foetus that appears to have that potential should not be terminated. This is not a scientific decision, but science can be used to inform the judgement of the potential viability of the foetus.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As I said previously, biology can inform reasoning to favour a 'side' - but the choice of the 'side' is a choice based on human values, a moral and ethical one, not a scientific one (though, of course, it is behaviour emergent from the biology of the brain).

What you considered is out of the scope of the OP. We are talking about science, not human value.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What you considered is out of the scope of the OP.

The post is on-topic. (And in agreement with the OP -- namely that there is no such answer to the question posed.)

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The post is on-topic. (And in agreement with the OP -- namely that there is no such answer to the question posed.)

Science (biology) is pro-life.
No consideration of human value is in the survey.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Science (biology) is pro-life.

Could you point to a scientific study or a high school biology textbook that concludes or states that science is pro-life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Could you point to a scientific study or a high school biology textbook that concludes or states that science is pro-life?

No. If there is, your OP would worth nothing.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The OP involves both science and human values. If you didn't realise that before, you know now.

In my point, science is the issue. Human value is too luxury to talk about.

Upvote 0