March for Life today -- 'Science is Pro-Life'

Science is...

• Pro-Life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pro-Choice

• A religion run by a priesthood in lab coats

• Profane and vain babblings (1 Timothy 6:20)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
This is the same situation as infants be killed during ancient war, or people killed in air raid today. It is just part of a war.
So you're calling a male lion unilaterally killing unresisting cubs part of a war? A war between the male and the cubs?

Doesn't this contradict the exception you made for unilateral and unresisting killing?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
I am using these words scientifically. It is all based on action.
You try to kill me, I ran away so you failed. That IS war and I am resisting.
Very simple. No distortion on any word.
OK - like I said, if that's how you want to define those words. But it is not a scientific usage - I trained as and had a career as a biologist, and I did not hear those words used in the contexts you describe, nor AFAIK are they commonly used in those contexts, either in the sciences or elsewhere.

Just saying they're your definitions, and your usage is not particularly scientific.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Human behavior cannot be entirely predicted (your sense of should) nor entirely justified (the OP scientist's sense of should) by animal behavior generally. Humans operate under a vast additional set of conditions beyond what the rest of the animal world does. These conditions are commonly known as "human culture".

Lots of human cultural activity responds to motives completely removed from the biological imperatives you rely on for your previous "should" statements.
Having said that, human activity involving killing is generally not so distant or different from that of other creatures - for example, chimps.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Should, in this case, means "likely to". Nothing about moral.
It should rain.

Then this is not an answer to the question in the OP.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just be precise about which denotation you are (and are not) justifying with your reasoning.

Also: for either sense of "should" you are still wrong.

Human behavior cannot be entirely predicted (your sense of should) nor entirely justified (the OP scientist's sense of should) by animal behavior generally. Humans operate under a vast additional set of conditions beyond what the rest of the animal world does. These conditions are commonly known as "human culture".

Lots of human cultural activity responds to motives completely removed from the biological imperatives you rely on for your previous "should" statements.

We are talking about biological science, includes evolution. Psychology is a different thing and "should" not be included in this thread.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't really answer the question, the OP was about whether science is pro-life. Are you suggesting or agreeing that science is 'pro-life', i.e. anti-abortion? Is that the specific kind of killing you want to exclude from being justified by biological advantage?

Are there other types of killing you feel are unjustified by the criteria you've posted?

Yes, life in the womb should not be killed according to biological science.

Other example? I think genocide could be another one.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
OK - like I said, if that's how you want to define those words. But it is not a scientific usage - I trained as and had a career as a biologist, and I did not hear those words used in the contexts you describe, nor AFAIK are they commonly used in those contexts, either in the sciences or elsewhere.

Just saying they're your definitions, and your usage is not particularly scientific.

Animal societies have wars. This is biological.
Some lion cubs escaped the killing and grown up.
Both words are used precisely in biology.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We are talking about biological science, includes evolution. Psychology is a different thing and "should" not be included in this thread.
Obvioulsy... and I mean obviously, biological science is insufficient to describe all the "shoulds" (predictions, in your way of thinking) of human behavior.

Further, if you limit yourself to biological science in analyzing human behavior, you will arrive at "should" statements that are demonstrably false.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Obvioulsy... and I mean obviously, biological science is insufficient to describe all the "shoulds" (predictions, in your way of thinking) of human behavior.

Further, if you limit yourself to biological science in analyzing human behavior, you will arrive at "should" statements that are demonstrably false.

This is what this thread is about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes, life in the womb should not be killed according to biological science.
Are you suggesting that there is no advantage to the mother? that it's done for no reason?

Does it matter that nature itself kills even more of the unborn through miscarriage and stillbirth?

Other example? I think genocide could be another one.
Why is that different? By your criteria, it's war even if the victims try to run away.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Animal societies have wars. This is biological.
Some lion cubs escaped the killing and grown up.
Both words are used precisely in biology.
When ethologists may use 'war', but in my experience, they use the common meaning of group conflict, not your extraordinary definition. The only use I have heard of 'resistance' is in regard to forceful opposition, as in the attempts of victims of predation to see off the predator.

You still haven't answered my question about the male lion that unilaterally kills unresisting cubs.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Are you suggesting that there is no advantage to the mother? that it's done for no reason?

Does it matter that nature itself kills even more of the unborn through miscarriage and stillbirth?

Generally, life in the womb "should be" protected. That would reduce the chance of miscarriage.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You still haven't answered my question about the male lion that unilaterally kills unresisting cubs.

I am not sure why would a male lion want to do that. Zoologists would give a reason to justify the killing. I believe if an animal is not threatened for survival reasons, it won't kill.

For the same biological reason, if a mother's life is threatened biologically, then she is scientifically justified to kill the life in the womb.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When ethologists may use 'war', but in my experience, they use the common meaning of group conflict, not your extraordinary definition. The only use I have heard of 'resistance' is in regard to forceful opposition, as in the attempts of victims of predation to see off the predator.

Again, I am not trying to define any word. I use the best word to make a reasoning as short and precise as possible.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is what this thread is about.
Not judging by your posts, in which you insist biological science has some kind of definitive say about exactly when humans should and shouldnt kill each other.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not judging by your posts, in which you insist biological science has some kind of definitive say about exactly when humans should and shouldnt kill each other.

Yes, that is my point.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,291.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I am not defining anything. I am reasoning. If you don’t follow, then you can quit.
I'm sure I will quit soon.

But when you entire point is to describe what various words of concepts mean, all you are doing is defining.

As to reason, you still haven't made any kind of clear point about science and the pro-life movement.

Upvote 0