Mar 27, 2011
✟95,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I am a horrible runner who recently signed up for my second marathon to take place April of '23. Does anyone have advice for how to best prepare for a marathon as a really bad/slow runner that needs to be under a 6 hour limit? Do you focus on just running for training or is it helpful to incorporate things like weights/elliptical/bike in your training program?

Reactions: DragonFox91

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What I keep on finding in endurance training programs is incorporating short sprint intervals/sessions into your program a few days a week even if you're not training to become a sprinter. It seems to help improve speed and cardio fitness at the same time.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I have only run one marathon although I did run 47 miles the day my dad died (kind of a Forest Gump thing…I guess)

I only did a marathon just to say I did it…and it was tough for me, because typically as a sprinter I trained at shorter distance between 5-8 miles, 6 days a week.

Marathons are hard on your body and diet is very critical. Go online for “distance running” to figure out your desired nutrient intake ….there are also formulas for the amount of carb intake according to your weight.

As for training, I did 3 – 20’s prior to the marathon which I scheduled so as to have a 3 weeks recovery before the marathon…. although I did maintain my 5 daily miles throughout (with a 2 day break after my 20’s) But ….you should do what you determine is best for you.

Weights are good... bike and elliptical are different….You are using different muscles with each as opposed to running ….especially on a bike…I would go with elliptical and treadmill ....that would be my choice…but again …..you determine what is best for you.

Stay safe

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,320.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am a horrible runner who recently signed up for my second marathon to take place April of '23. Does anyone have advice for how to best prepare for a marathon as a really bad/slow runner that needs to be under a 6 hour limit? Do you focus on just running for training or is it helpful to incorporate things like weights/elliptical/bike in your training program?

I've done a few and my advice is lots and lot of kms. Build up to 35-40 kms a week. And up to at least one 30km run about 4 weeks out. Take it slow and build the distances gradually or there's a risk of injury.

Max mileage should be three weeks out then taper down to light jogging in the last week and literally nothing in the last three days.

You're training for a run so only running will help. Forget bikes, swimming, weights etc. Just run. As much as you can. For as long as you've got. All the time. Every day. No rest days, just shorter runs. Do a hard day then an easy one. Do a tough week then an easier one. Saw tooth upwards all the time.

Stretching is good before and after. Ice baths likewise if you suffer muscle soreness. And get good running shoes. The best you can afford from a shop that knows what you're trying to do. Break them in slowly.

Good luck! You've got all the time you need. Give us updates and we'll keep you focussed.

Reactions: TheRealAriel
Upvote 0