Dallas
✟887,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m sorry I don’t see the point. I don’t think the one commandment God said to Remember is the one commandment God wants us to forget- the holy day of the Lord thy God that will continue forever as promised Exodus 31:16 for eternity Isaiah 66:23

And as I pointed out God also said that the Passover must be observed for all generations yet that was later changed thru Paul’s message just like the Saturday Sabbath was.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I must have missed that quote where Paul deleted the 4th commandment. Paul tells us what matters is keeping the commandments of God 1 Cor 7:19 and Paul also preached on the Sabbath as his custom and the custom of Jesus Luke 4:16

“Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day” Colossians 2:16 NASB

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
“Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day” Colossians 2:16 NASB

So you think this one verse wipes out one of the commandments of God and the one that God said to Remember and 170 other Sabbath scriptures?

The verse in context is about food and drink and it is an ordinance not a commandment. The proper context this is talking about the sabbath(s) annual festivals that is an ordinance in the book of Moses and it is about food and drink which God’s Sabbath day has nothing to do with food or drink and is part of a handwritten covenant of Ten (not nine) that God personally spoke and wrote and stored inside the Most Holy of God’s Temple. The Sabbath commandment is not a shadow because it points back to Creation “Remember” before there was sin in the world.

If you don’t want to give the benefit of the doubt this scripture in its proper context is not talking about God’s HOLY DAY that we see continue on for eternity Isaiah 66:23 than we have free will. It doesn’t change this very important fact though.

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some interesting quotes:

The observance of the Lord's Day (Sunday) is founded not on any command of God, but on the authority of the Church." Augsburg Confession of Faith.
They [the Catholics] allege the Sabbath changed into Sunday, the Lord's day, contrary to the Decalogue, as it appears, neither is there any example more boasted of than the changing of the Sabbath day. Great, say they, is the power and authority of the church, since it dispensed with one of the Ten Commandments.
—Augsburg Confession of Faith, Art. 28, par. 9.

This 'handwriting of ordinances' our Lord did blot out, take away, and nail to His cross. (Colossians 2: 14.) But the moral law contained in the Ten Commandments, and enforced by the prophets, He did not take away.... The moral law stands on an entirely different foundation from the ceremonial or ritual law. ...Every part of this law must remain in force upon all mankind and in all ages.
—JOHN WESLEY, Sermons on Several Occasions, 2-Vol. Edition, Vol. I, pages 221, 222.

The sacred name of the Seventh day is Sabbath. This fact is too clear to require argument [Exodus 20:10 quoted]… on this point the plain teaching of the Word has been admitted in all ages… Not once did the disciples apply the Sabbath law to the first day of the week, -- that folly was left for a later age, nor did they pretend that the first day supplanted the seventh.
—Joseph Hudson Taylor, ‘The Sabbatic Question’, p. 14-17, 41.

It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.
—Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, NJ ‘News’ on March 18, 1903.

I wonder exceedingly how it came to be imputed to me that I should reject the law of Ten Commandments...Whosoever abrogates the law must of necessity abrogate sin also.
—MARTIN LUTHER, Spiritual Antichrist, pages 71, 72.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. This fourth commandment begins with the word 'remember,' showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote the law on the tables of stone at Sinai. How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?
—D.L. MOODY, Weighed and Wanting, page 47.

Many people think that Sunday is the Sabbath. But neither in the New Testament nor in the early church is there anything to suggest that we have any right to transfer the observance of the seventh day of the week to the first. The Sabbath was and is Saturday and not Sunday, and if it were binding on us then we should observe it on that day, and on no other.
—Rev. Lionel Beere, All-Saints Church, Ponsonby, N.Z. in Church and People, Sept. 1, 1947.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes I absolutely agree but my point was that Jesus Himself didn’t mention every doctrine in Christianity. Jesus didn’t tell us that we no longer need to observe the Passover, Paul did. Just like Jesus didn’t tell us that we don’t have to observe the Sabbath but Paul did.

Nobody said that what the Bible calls "The TEN Commandments" is now downsized to nine - as the OP points and the first 3 posts of this thread point out.

But in general we agree that all the rules for the NT church are not spelled out in the Gospels.

My point was that Jesus never mentioned this. I know it is mentioned in the epistles.

No NT Writer ever mentions "do not take God's name in vain" directly - but it is not a signal that this too is deleted from God's Ten. By contrast we have a number of direct quotes from the Sabbath commandment in the NT by several NT Authors and EVERY mention of a religious Gospel preaching service on Sabbath in the NT is a reference to the Bible seventh day Sabbath. The definition for Sabbath does not change in the NT

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you think this one verse wipes out one of the commandments of God and the one that God said to Remember and 170 other Sabbath scriptures?

The verse in context is about food and drink and it is an ordinance not a commandment. The proper context this is talking about the sabbath(s) annual festivals that is an ordinance in the book of Moses and it is about food and drink which God’s Sabbath day has nothing to do with food or drink and is part of a handwritten covenant of Ten (not nine) that God personally spoke and wrote and stored inside the Most Holy of God’s Temple. The Sabbath commandment is not a shadow because it points back to Creation “Remember” before there was sin in the world.

If you don’t want to give the benefit of the doubt this scripture in its proper context is not talking about God’s HOLY DAY that we see continue on for eternity Isaiah 66:23 than we have free will. It doesn’t change this very important fact though.

God bless

An ordinance given by God is a commandment. You keep on pushing the fact that the Sabbath was said to be observed forever while completely ignoring the fact that the same exact thing was said about the Passover. We’ve already seen the verses showing both of these have been abolished. What we have here is a difference in interpretation. What it comes down to is I believe Paul was referring to the Saturday Sabbath in Colossians 2:16 and you don’t. Jesus and the apostles specifically told us every commandment we must keep. They specifically mentioned every one of the 10 commandments except the 4th. I believe this is very relevant, you don’t. I really don’t see the point in debating the same old arguments back & forth unless you have something new to bring to the table I think we’ve each pretty much concluded our side of the debate. No point in beating a dead horse going over the same argument over and over.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nobody said that what the Bible calls "The TEN Commandments" is now downsized to nine - as the OP points and the first 3 posts of this thread point out.

But in general we agree that all the rules for the NT church are not spelled out in the Gospels.

No NT Writer ever mentions "do not take God's name in vain" directly - but it is not a signal that this too is deleted from God's Ten. By contrast we have a number of direct quotes from the Sabbath commandment in the NT by several NT Authors and EVERY mention of a religious Gospel preaching service on Sabbath in the NT is a reference to the Bible seventh day Sabbath. The definition for Sabbath does not change in the NT

I think Ephesians 4:29-30 includes that.

“Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:29-30‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

So I think the “winner” rating on that post is unwarranted.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
An ordinance given by God is a commandment. You keep on pushing the fact that the Sabbath was said to be observed forever while completely ignoring the fact that the same exact thing was said about the Passover. We’ve already seen the verses showing both of these have been abolished. What we have here is a difference in interpretation. What it comes down to is I believe Paul was referring to the Saturday Sabbath in Colossians 2:16 and you don’t. Jesus and the apostles specifically told us every commandment we must keep. They specifically mentioned every one of the 10 commandments except the 4th. I believe this is very relevant, you don’t. I really don’t see the point in debating the same old arguments back & forth unless you have something new to bring to the table I think we’ve each pretty much concluded our side of the debate. No point in beating a dead horse going over the same argument over and over.
The Ten Commandments is like the Constitution- these are God's holy laws written personally by God and it came in a covenant of Ten not nine. Exodus 34:28 We are also talking about THE holy day of the Lord thy God that has and will not ever change. Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:10, Isaiah 58:13, Exodus 31:16, Isaiah 66:23

Jesus talks about the Sabbath being kept after He goes back to heaven Matthew 24:20 and not once does Jesus mention any change of a day in worship to anyone and either do the apostles. Do you not think what Jesus did on earth was for an example for us? This is what the scriptures teach. 1 Peter 2:21-25 There is no record of Jesus going to the Temples reading the Word of God on the first day, but it was His custom on the seventh day Sabbath Luke 4:16-17, Mark 6:2 as well as the disciples. Acts 13:27, Acts 13:42, Acts 13:44, Acts 15:21, Acts 18:4, Acts 17:2

It's also weird the apostles would speak of the preparation day for the Sabbath if the Sabbath was deleted. Luke 23:54 Or Paul would tell us what matters is keeping the commandments of God (Ten commandments, not nine) and the ceremonial laws like circumcision is an individual choice. 1 Cor 7:19 Paul makes a distinction regarding these laws. God's laws stands forever.

There was most definitely the Sabbath commandment in the New Testament even after the death of Jesus who died because He was accused of breaking His Fathers Sabbath commandment which of course He never did. Jesus kept all of the commandments and told us to as well. 1 John 15:10, John 14:15

And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
- Luke 23:56

The Sabbath is part of a covenant of Ten spoken and personally written by our Creator and Savior. The one commandment people tell us to forget it the one commandment God said to Remember. I believe God.

The fact that the Sabbath commandment is debated so much tells me just how powerful the spiritual war is. The Sabbath was predicted as being changed in the Bible not by God's authority Daniel 7:25 the church who changed God's Sabbath from Sabbath to Sunday admit it came without any biblical authority. Trying to prove it came from the bible is fruitless because the Sabbath was from the beginning before sin Genesis 2:1-3 and will continue after sin Isaiah 66:23 the way God always intended. If you don't want to enjoy the blessing of the Sabbath day now, will you want to on the New Earth? God loves us all so much He wants us all happy and would never force us to do something against our will. Jesus is coming back soon I believe this with all my heart and we should worship Him in truth and spirit. The bible teaches us there is only one Gospel and it also teaches us there is only one day that God deemed His holy day. Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:10, Isaiah 58:13, Mark 2:28

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
An ordinance given by God is a commandment. You keep on pushing the fact that the Sabbath was said to be observed forever while completely ignoring the fact that the same exact thing was said about the Passover.

We have the Bible statement that for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23... and of course nothing like that exists for "Passover"

We have the Bible statement that "the Sabbath was made for mankind" Mark 2:27 - ... and of course nothing like that exists for "Passover"

We have the Bible statement that the UNIT of TEN containing the Sabbath commandment is that continued unit of Law having "'honor your father and mother' as the first commandment with a promise" ... and of course nothing like that exists for "Passover"

==================
On the other hand Passover does a few things the Sabbath does not - namely "He takes away the first to establish the second" Heb 10:4-11 speaking of "animal sacrifices and offerings" taken away for the "once for all" sacrifice of Christ.

Nothing like that for the Sabbath in the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums