He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are slight differences in meaning from translation to translation in every verse. Won't this turn out to change the meaning of the whole Bible from translation to translation? If I change my course by 1 degree every five miles, I will never reach my destination. So I contend that if you are reading a different translation than me, your breed of Christianity will be different from mine. This may indeed be very dangerous for you, if my breed of Christianity is the one, narrow, and ONLY way to eternal life (see Matthew 7:13-14), that would mean your breed of Christianity will take you off course and not bring you into heaven.

And yes I am of the opinion that the KJV is both inspired and inerrant, though I do not intend this to be a KJV-only post, per se.

Most of the translations completely agree with one another on all issues of doctrine. There are some differences which are important, definitely. Some translations omit certain scriptures because of their scholarly theories. Some undercut His divinity or muddy certain scriptures, but overall they all agree on the important things. I could read a NKJV, NIV, ESV, or even NLT and still find everything I need to know to be saved and have a relationship with Jesus Christ. After that, the Lord is more than capable of leading a person to read whatever translation He wants them to. Right now, the Lord has me reading the NKJV. It's not perfect but it is sufficient.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm reading a NKJV at the moment. Last year it was an ESV, before that an NIV. As a child and 2 years ago I would read KJV from time to time.

I think it is very unhealthy to stick to one version. If we look at a thesaurus we will find that each word has a variety of synonyms but each synonym means something very different sometimes. Then some Bibles favour one ancient text iver the other. It is better to use different translations to get a fuller understanding and avoid misunderstanding context.

I favour modern translations over the KJV after witnessing theological errors based on misunderstanding the old use of words. In KJV it says 'mortify' the flesh. Mortify now means embarass... when it used to mean 'put to death' Mort=dead.

Also, I have seen KJV sometimes breeds a certain kind of Christian... Either that or it takes someone to be a certain way to latch on to it and claim they have truth when everyone else doesn't.

What does give me occasion to pause though is when new translations are changing gender from men to include both sexes.

I object to the Message translation at this point in time. To me it reads like a gossipy, older lady.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are slight differences in meaning from translation to translation in every verse. Won't this turn out to change the meaning of the whole Bible from translation to translation? If I change my course by 1 degree every five miles, I will never reach my destination. So I contend that if you are reading a different translation than me, your breed of Christianity will be different from mine. This may indeed be very dangerous for you, if my breed of Christianity is the one, narrow, and ONLY way to eternal life (see Matthew 7:13-14), that would mean your breed of Christianity will take you off course and not bring you into heaven.

And yes I am of the opinion that the KJV is both inspired and inerrant, though I do not intend this to be a KJV-only post, per se.
Do you really think Jesus prayed that we would be one with the Father through doctrines? Do you think His prayer to the Father was unanswered? Unity in the body of Christ is by the Spirit, not by the soul. Our spirits are transformed, but our souls need renewing daily. If you rely on doctrine, or Bible translations, as your litmus test of whether you are speaking to a follower of Christ, you will be deceived since the unregenerate can spout doctrines, too. It is by the tangible sense of the Spirit that you know who are brothers and sisters in Christ, not doctrines and Bible quotes.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 4:16, Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

2 John 1:9-11, Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him Godspeed. For he that biddeth him Godspeed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Sound doctrine is important, even essential to salvation.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Newer translations are not completely unuseful...for example, I know that mortify means put to death simply by comparing translations, so that when I read mortify in the KJV I don't think embarrass I think put to death. Also the root of the word has to do with death such as in mortuary. It's not hard to understand the few words in the KJV that might refer to something else in the 1600's. I would say they are few and far between. In fact, "quit you like men" (1 Corinthians 16:13 KJV) has been used by the HG to minister to me an exhortation to stop sinning, whereas the more correct-to-Greek modern translations translate it "Be brave." I wouldn't give up what the HS ministered to me just because the Greek more modernly says something different. God did that in His sovereignty, and if I had been reading a modern translation the effect would not have been the same; and I am not going to let the devil steal that from me by saying that a modern translation is more accurate, because what I read was inspired and God used it.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Also, when you compare Revelation 22 to Isaiah 14 in many of the newer translations (not in the KJV), you might even conclude that Jesus is satan. Things like this were predicted in 2 Peter 2:1-3...damnable heresies secretly introduced into modern versions, wherein the translators even denied the Lord who bought them...this is one of the primary reasons why I shy away from modern versions and stick to the KJV like my life depends on it...because it does!

Upvote 0

wonderkins

Jul 16, 2017
Winlock
✟146,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, when you compare Revelation 22 to Isaiah 14 in many of the newer translations (not in the KJV), you might even conclude that Jesus is satan. Things like this were predicted in 2 Peter 2:1-3...damnable heresies secretly introduced into modern versions, wherein the translators even denied the Lord who bought them...this is one of the primary reasons why I shy away from modern versions and stick to the KJV like my life depends on it...because it does!
I looked at those chapters in my esv Bible. I don't see what you're talking about. I don't know anyone who would think Jesus is satan based on those chapters. The more you speak the more it seems your intention actually was to have a kjvo debate.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Another issue I have is that people may hear something quoted out of the KJV, and, having itching ears, they will go to their self-picked translation in the hopes that it won't say exactly that. and in many cases it doesn't. This was predicted in 2 Timothy 4:1-4, people rejecting what God said to them and going to a different "teacher", i.e. translation in the hopes that the conviction will go away. But it is that very conviction that would save them if they did not fickly seek out a different source, because they didn't like the way it was rendered in "that version".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The more you speak the more it seems your intention actually was to have a kjvo debate.
Perhaps another motive than expecteded ?
Another issue I have is that people may hear somrthing quoted out of the KJV, and, having itching ears, they will go to their self-picked translation in the hopes that it won't say exactly that. and in many cases it doesn't. This was predicted in 2 Timothy 4:1-4, people rejecting what God said to them and going to a different "teacher", i.e. translation in the hopes that the conviction will go away. But it is that very conviction that would save them if they did not fickly seek out a different source, because they didn't like the way it was rendered in "that version".
Those issues don't occur when people together or separately seek the TRUTH FROM YHVH by faith and grace in JESUS in union with JESUS.
No matter what translation they have available, IF ANY.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
.this is one of the primary reasons why I shy away from modern versions and stick to the KJV like my life depends on it...because it does!
Actually, your life depends on remaining in JESUS, trusting and relying on the FATHER in heaven for everything concerning SALVATION.

Upvote 0

wonderkins

Jul 16, 2017
Winlock
✟146,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What makes the kjv the only true word of God? And again, is your Bible exactly the way it was when it was first published? Is every single word a carbon copy?

Also, my church just sent materials to a missionary in Papa New Guinea so they along with some scholars can translate the Bible into their language. When they have finished that glorious task, they will not have a kj Bible. They will have the Bible translated in diodio (spelled correctly). Will you accuse any newly saved brother and sister in Papa New Guinea of having itching ears? Many there don't speak English. Are they only allowed to read the English kjv?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
What makes the kjv the only true word of God? And again, is your Bible exactly the way it was when it was first published? Is every single word a carbon copy?

Also, my church just sent materials to a missionary in Papa New Guinea so they along with some scholars can translate the Bible into their language. When they have finished that glorious task, they will not have a kj Bible. They will have the Bible translated in diodio (spelled correctly). Will you accuse any newly saved brother and sister in Papa New Guinea of having itching ears? Many there don't speak English. Are they only allowed to read the English kjv?
I have already addressed this previously in this thread.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Only if everyone is left to their own understanding of scripture with no foundation of the truth.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Only if everyone is left to their own understanding of scripture with no foundation of the truth.
All people everywhere must seek the FATHER CREATOR and JESUS with their whole heart , and keep seeking HIS KINGDOM all of their lives.
< shrugs > most people on earth are NOT LEFT TO THEIR OWN UNDERSTANDING - they are TOLD what and how to believe and act and live by someone else without any foundation of the truth.
They all together with the same faulty understanding taught to them all fall into the same pit.
i.e. don't put trust in man nor in mankind, nor in religious groups nor in government nor in medicine nor in education nor in anything in society.
TRUST THE HEAVENLY FATHER FOR ALL THINGS ABOUT SALVATION,
in this life, and for the next life, TRUST HIM,
and it is done already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wonderkins

Jul 16, 2017
Winlock
✟146,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have already addressed this previously in this thread.
I went back through your comments. I don't see what you're referring to. But it would bring clarity if you respond to my statements about Papa New Guinea.

Upvote 0