Manufacturing is now officially in recession, despite Trump’s vow to boost industry

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Manufacturing is now officially in recession, despite Trump's vow to boost industry

During President Trump’s first two years in office, his standing with many voters was buoyed by a surge in manufacturing that helped create millions of jobs and undergirded the whole U.S. economy.

But today, manufacturing has plunged into recession and is threatening to pull down other sectors, perhaps hitting hardest on supporters in those states that helped put Trump in office.

Impeachment may be dominating the news, but the less-noticed industrial slump ultimately could pose a greater threat to Trump’s reelection.......

Instead of healthy job growth, layoff announcements have surged this year, especially in battleground states such as Pennsylvania and Michigan. Friday’s jobs report for September showed a slight drop in total factory jobs......

Some of those same factors are again weighing against American industry. But analysts and business leaders say the single biggest restraint on manufacturing this year has been of Trump’s own making: excessive use of tariffs and his trade wars with China and other countries....

The trade wars have not just hurt farmers.

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Manufacturing is now officially in recession, despite Trump's vow to boost industry

During President Trump’s first two years in office, his standing with many voters was buoyed by a surge in manufacturing that helped create millions of jobs and undergirded the whole U.S. economy.

But today, manufacturing has plunged into recession and is threatening to pull down other sectors, perhaps hitting hardest on supporters in those states that helped put Trump in office.

Impeachment may be dominating the news, but the less-noticed industrial slump ultimately could pose a greater threat to Trump’s reelection.......

Instead of healthy job growth, layoff announcements have surged this year, especially in battleground states such as Pennsylvania and Michigan. Friday’s jobs report for September showed a slight drop in total factory jobs......

Some of those same factors are again weighing against American industry. But analysts and business leaders say the single biggest restraint on manufacturing this year has been of Trump’s own making: excessive use of tariffs and his trade wars with China and other countries....

When you look at the strength of China in this area, I am surprised that significant manufacturing is successful anywhere else.

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

ahhh, the los angeles times. what a source.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too bad the industry isn't seeing that - only left leaning rags -

5 Reasons Why America's Manufacturing Is Growing Again

Updated October 22, 2019

Manufacturing is forecast to increase faster than the general economy. The Manufacturers Alliance for Productivity and Innovation (MAPI) Foundation says increased capital growth and higher exports will boost manufacturing and predicts production will grow 3.9% in 2019, before slowing slightly to 2.4% in 2020 and 1.9% in 2021. Manufacturing will be boosted by the tax cuts but could be hurt by Trump's trade war.

It also depends on the strength of the U.S. dollar; if the dollar declines, that's good for exporters. But with the Federal Reserve is raising interest rates, that will make the dollar stronger. Underlying these short-term developments are five new forces that are driving manufacturing's growth:
When you get away from obvious bias - as demonstrated in the title of the article, you just don't find anything convincing of the "recession" narrative that has been attempted for the last few months.

The issue being that the economy is doing very well, especially for the middle class, with pay rising and taxes lowered, they really can't support the "tax breaks for the rich only" narrative. I can look at my paystub and see it is not only for them.

So a dog whistle has to be developed and the high pitched whistle is RECESSION.

The Democrats need a recession plan

Democrats Desperately Need Recession to Win 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...5f2142-f23f-11e7-b390-a36dc3fa2842_story.html

Recessions, and the fear that another one is just around the corner, explained

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/08/whos_wishing_for_a_recession.html

Left-wing comedian Bill Maher has let the cat out of the bag. He speaks a truth that is in the heart of leftists everywhere but they dare not say too loudly — namely, their hope for a recession as a means of defeating President Donald Trump in 2020.​

That is my opinion.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Too bad the industry isn't seeing that - only left leaning rags -

5 Reasons Why America's Manufacturing Is Growing Again

Updated October 22, 2019

Manufacturing is forecast to increase faster than the general economy. The Manufacturers Alliance for Productivity and Innovation (MAPI) Foundation says increased capital growth and higher exports will boost manufacturing and predicts production will grow 3.9% in 2019, before slowing slightly to 2.4% in 2020 and 1.9% in 2021. Manufacturing will be boosted by the tax cuts but could be hurt by Trump's trade war.

It also depends on the strength of the U.S. dollar; if the dollar declines, that's good for exporters. But with the Federal Reserve is raising interest rates, that will make the dollar stronger. Underlying these short-term developments are five new forces that are driving manufacturing's growth:

Your article uses old data. That paragraph links to and is based on a MAPI projection from March of 2018:
Marked Strengthening in the U.S. Manufacturing Outlook — MAPI Foundation

A lot has changed since then (particularly the trade war they reference), but I can't find anything on either of MAPI's websites that's relevant and newer than that.

When you get away from obvious bias - as demonstrated in the title of the article, you just don't find anything convincing of the "recession" narrative that has been attempted for the last few months.

Your continued use of old data in these responses undermines your point.

The issue being that the economy is doing very well, especially for the middle class, with pay rising and taxes lowered, they really can't support the "tax breaks for the rich only" narrative. I can look at my paystub and see it is not only for them.

...as does your continued incorrect use of the term "dog whistle".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It’s like there is a comprehension issue or you are ignoring parts of my post.

Oh, there’s a comprehension issue, all right, but it’s not on my end. Both of these threads have been about developments in the manufacturing sector this year and in both of them, you’ve responded with data from last year or earlier. Granted, the fact that the link you posted here was outdated was somewhat less obvious than it was with some of the others, but it was still outdated. If you want to argue against the points being made, you have to use data that’s current, but you don’t. It’s like you’re trying to spin this to favor Trump without having a solid grasp of what the point being made actually is.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps I should have included this from the article in the OP:

As measured by the Federal Reserve, manufacturing output shrank over two straight quarters this year. That’s the common definition of recession.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The Democrats need a recession plan

Democrats Desperately Need Recession to Win 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...5f2142-f23f-11e7-b390-a36dc3fa2842_story.html

Recessions, and the fear that another one is just around the corner, explained

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/08/whos_wishing_for_a_recession.html

Left-wing comedian Bill Maher has let the cat out of the bag. He speaks a truth that is in the heart of leftists everywhere but they dare not say too loudly — namely, their hope for a recession as a means of defeating President Donald Trump in 2020.
That is my opinion.

Calling this a recession is simply part of a growing narrative in the hopes it helps defeat the President for re election, because the Democratic Party cannot defeat him at the voting booth standing on their record - which is next to nothing beyond impeachment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
uh huh.....

Yes, that article was updated in October, but it doesn't say what parts of it were updated then. The current version of the "Outlook" section (from which you quoted) says:

However, as you can see, that paragraph said the same thing (aside from a spelling correction) in the version that existed in June:

Manufacturing is forecast to increase faster than the general economy. The MAPI Foundation says increased capital growth and higher exports will boost manufacturing. It predicts production will grow 3.9 percent in 2019. It will slow slightly to 2.4 percent in 2020 and 1.9 percent in 2021.

Manufactuing will be boosted by the tax cuts but could be hurt by Trump's trade war.

The previous version on record is from January 2017. It has slightly different numbers and nothing about the trade war:

Manufacturing is forecast to increase faster than the general economy. Production will grow 3.0 percent in 2017, and 2.8 percent in 2018. Growth will slow to 2.6 percent in 2019 and 2.0 percent in 2020.

IOW, some time prior to June of 2019, The Balance updated the piece with data from early 2018.

This really isn't hard to follow. If you'd have just clicked the link that I posted and that was included in the very paragraph you quoted, you would've seen that I was right. This is getting really frustrating. If you're not going to read the material and actually respond to my posts, what are you even doing here?[/URL]

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I thought all that corporate tax give-away was supposed to go to jobs!

It did wonders for the accountants for the CEOs as they scrambled to buy back their companies' stocks...

Reactions: Ricky M
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
actually respond to my posts, what are you even doing here?

About the same as you, just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me automatically wrong and you automatically right.

As for not replying to you, I will note the absence of any response whatsoever to the links I provided showing that the partisan byline "recession" is something being promoted for months.

If you are not going to respond to my whole posts - what are YOU dong here? hmmm?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, there’s a comprehension issue, all right, but it’s not on my end. Both of these threads have been about developments in the manufacturing sector this year and in both of them, you’ve responded with data from last year or earlier. Granted, the fact that the link you posted here was outdated was somewhat less obvious than it was with some of the others, but it was still outdated. If you want to argue against the points being made, you have to use data that’s current, but you don’t. It’s like you’re trying to spin this to favor Trump without having a solid grasp of what the point being made actually is.
It is hard to tell when an economic recession is going to hit. It is hitting manufacturing.
It is also hitting globally. Germany is going into recession.

Here is another article about it:
Top economists blame Trump's protectionist policies for global 'stagnation'

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Calling this a recession is simply part of a growing narrative in the hopes it helps defeat the President for re election, because the Democratic Party cannot defeat him at the voting booth standing on their record - which is next to nothing beyond impeachment.

Calling it a recession is a fact... the dictionary definition of recession is "a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters."

... which is exactly what has happened on the manufacturing sector... Donald's pie-in-the-sky promises to the contrary.

Turns out, you can't pay a mortgage or feed a family with smoke and mirrors.

Upvote 0