Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Most people that own that many snakes, particularly ball pythons, keep them in racks. You could easily fit them in a bedroom.

I wonder if being confined in small spaces over significant periods of time make them more aggressive or passive or it has no impact on behavior?

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
snakes dont require much room.

Unless you are running a breeding program,conducting some sort of scientific experiment, or running a business... owning a 100 of any animal tells me that you might be missing a few ounces short of a gallon.

Let me repeat this number 100. 100! Such a thing would raise alarms to me as a neighbor as well.

Upvote 0

XB3LI3V3RX

Animal Lover
May 8, 2013
Tennessee
✟16,341.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
dgiharris said:
I wonder if being confined in small spaces over significant periods of time make them more aggressive or passive or it has no impact on behavior?
Snakes love small spaces. If they're enclosures are too large it actually stresses them out.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Unless you are running a breeding program,conducting some sort of scientific experiment, or running a business... owning a 100 of any animal tells me that you might be missing a few ounces short of a gallon.

Let me repeat this number 100. 100! Such a thing would raise alarms to me as a neighbor as well.
i also question the number...is he selling them? does he ever take them to the vet for check ups?

Upvote 0

XB3LI3V3RX

Animal Lover
May 8, 2013
Tennessee
✟16,341.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ChristsSoldier115 said:
Unless you are running a breeding program,conducting some sort of scientific experiment, or running a business... owning a 100 of any animal tells me that you might be missing a few ounces short of a gallon. Let me repeat this number 100. 100! Such a thing would raise alarms to me as a neighbor as well.
People do breed hundreds of snakes at a time. I know quite a few people who do this exact thing, but you would never know because it is very rare for a snake to get loose (the only people I've ever seen a snake get loose are the people who fail to keep the tank properly closed) and they don't make a ton of noise or stink like many other pets.
And as I will repeat from other posts...this guy is breeding ball pythons which are almost harmless. I say almost because they can still bite you, but ANY animal can bite you.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
People do breed hundreds of snakes at a time. I know quite a few people who do this exact thing, but you would never know because it is very rare for a snake to get loose (the only people I've ever seen a snake get loose are the people who fail to keep the tank properly closed) and they don't make a ton of noise or stink like many other pets.
And as I will repeat from other posts...this guy is breeding ball pythons which are almost harmless. I say almost because they can still bite you, but ANY animal can bite you.
i wouldn't call it extremely rare. people who are just getting use to owning snakes can easily underestimate their ability to escape. i remember when i was 12 my snake escaped. but someone with more experience then i should be able to keep them contained i agree.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
i wouldn't call it extremely rare. people who are just getting use to owning snakes can easily underestimate their ability to escape. i remember when i was 12 my snake escaped. but someone with more experience then i should be able to keep them contained i agree.

I caught one of these as a kid

b-swal-c.jpg

put it in a jar, somehow it got loose (think I didn't close the jar), my mom freaked out, I had to tear my room apart to find it. I literally tore my room apart and then on a whim just because I had literally looked everywhere I decided to take my dresser drawers out and there it was, behind the drawer...

How it got there I have no clue, so I can only imagine a crafty snake finding a way to Houdini his way out of his tank

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

After re-reading the article, apparently there is no law regarding exotic animals there. He isn't breaking any laws. I am not seeing the problem other than upset neighbors.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I caught one of these as a kid

b-swal-c.jpg

put it in a jar, somehow it got loose (think I didn't close the jar), my mom freaked out, I had to tear my room apart to find it. I literally tore my room apart and then on a whim just because I had literally looked everywhere I decided to take my dresser drawers out and there it was, behind the drawer...

How it got there I have no clue, so I can only imagine a crafty snake finding a way to Houdini his way out of his tank
i use to catch monarch caterpillars (is that a monarch?) as a kid as well....well and pray mantis...and snakes...i also use to find spiders nice places to live. but yeah if you dont really secure your cage the snake will escape. i think someone else said this but snakes much prefer small encloses, there less likely to escape if they feel comfortable there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
We're derailing this thread enough Dgiharris and we've both said what we want to say. You're going to continue justifying your use of intimidation and threats of violence over trivial things and I am going to continue finding your behavior reprehensible. There's only one thing I really want to address left.

Where I come from, we make it a point to actually know our neighbors because we all live together in a community and getting along is part of it.

First off, I'm from the south. When someone has a dog that poses a threat and has attacked any person unfairly that dog gets put down immediately. That is very common practice.

I generally find it especially sad when people try to play the "Where I come from" or the "I'm from the south" cards. Mate, I've lived in the South. I've lived and worked in Texas, Mississippi, Georgia and Louisiana. In shorter stays I've been around Virginia and Kentucky as well. There is nothing special about the community in the south, there's nothing unique about the way you think your communities interact. Meanwhile in my time in the South I've seen more violent, vicious and unleashed dogs out wandering the streets or in poorly fenced yards than I have anywhere else in the nation. Our experiences when it comes to vicious dogs 'being put down immediately' as a common practice seem to differ. If anything I felt that people seemed much more prone to treating encouraging vicious behavior in their dogs in the south. Not everyone, not even most people but there sure seemed to be a lot more violent dogs around than anywhere else I have been. And most likely I've seen much more of all different parts of those states than you have given that the work I was doing down in the South involved being a knock on your door and demand payment bill collector and repo man.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've lived and worked in Texas, Mississippi, Georgia and Louisiana. In shorter stays I've been around Virginia and Kentucky as well. There is nothing special about the community in the south, there's nothing unique about the way you think your communities interact. Meanwhile in my time in the South I've seen more violent, vicious and unleashed dogs out wandering the streets or in poorly fenced yards than I have anywhere else in the nation. Our experiences when it comes to vicious dogs 'being put down immediately' as a common practice seem to differ. If anything I felt that people seemed much more prone to treating encouraging vicious behavior in their dogs in the south. Not everyone, not even most people but there sure seemed to be a lot more violent dogs around than anywhere else I have been. And most likely I've seen much more of all different parts of those states than you have given that the work I was doing down in the South involved being a knock on your door and demand payment bill collector and repo man.

I've lived in southern Texas my entire life, and I have to say that I've never seen a dog taken away or put down for vicious behavior in my life.

Neighbors breed and train hunting dogs, and don't keep them inside their fences or leashed to anything. We've had boar hunting dogs (still in their protective gear) run into our yard (6' wooden fence all the way around, we have no idea how they get in), terrorizing our cats. Many of our cats were ripped to shreds.

We reported the dogs and the deaths. We called our pathetic excuse for animal control and demanded something be done before a human being got hurt, and also demanded justice for our dead cats (we have spent a lot of money caring for these cats and of course we were extremely attached to them).

Nothing ever came of it. "Dogs kill stuff" was the answer. My uncle still takes warning shots at those dog every few months when they break into our yard. We don't want to hurt them, but I swear if they get one of my cats again I am not sure if I'll be so sympathetic.

Upvote 0

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
I've lived in southern Texas my entire life, and I have to say that I've never seen a dog taken away or put down for vicious behavior in my life.

Neighbors breed and train hunting dogs, and don't keep them inside their fences or leashed to anything. We've had boar hunting dogs (still in their protective gear) run into our yard (6' wooden fence all the way around, we have no idea how they get in), terrorizing our cats. Many of our cats were ripped to shreds.

We reported the dogs and the deaths. We called our pathetic excuse for animal control and demanded something be done before a human being got hurt, and also demanded justice for our dead cats (we have spent a lot of money caring for these cats and of course we were extremely attached to them).

Nothing ever came of it. "Dogs kill stuff" was the answer. My uncle still takes warning shots at those dog every few months when they break into our yard. We don't want to hurt them, but I swear if they get one of my cats again I am not sure if I'll be so sympathetic.

Yeah, one of the guys on my crew in Louisiana actually simply picked up a cat and walked it out of a 'customers' house and took it home after witnessing the wounds on it and the way their pitbull pup was attacking it. But then, I also never saw as many stray cats in my life as in Louisiana.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, one of the guys on my crew in Louisiana actually simply picked up a cat and walked it out of a 'customers' house and took it home after witnessing the wounds on it and the way their pitbull pup was attacking it. But then, I also never saw as many stray cats in my life as in Louisiana.

The poor thing! I'm glad your friend rescued it from that place :(

I'm right on the border of Louisiana, and there is indeed a huge stray cat problem, in addition to a dog problem where they aren't really strays, but aren't taken care of and allowed to roam breed like crazy.

Most people don't get their animals fixed, and for some reason neutering is seen as emasculating an animal. I grew up with the belief that you only took a dog to the vet if it was dying, and you never took a cat to the vet at all. After I got a job, I couldn't take it anymore, and I started rounding up all of our cats and the neighborhood cats and got them all fixed and vaccinated (more stray cats than dogs in this part of town).

After a few years, the population in the neighborhood finally leveled out. It's been about eight months since I last saw an intact cat roaming around, which I trapped and got taken care of (she lives inside with two of our indoor cats now).

I am really upset at the way people view and treat animals around here, but nothing big is going to change until laws are enforced, I think.

Upvote 0

XB3LI3V3RX

Animal Lover
May 8, 2013
Tennessee
✟16,341.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums