Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are hypocrisy, judgment, and condemnation the cause of divisons? Jesus said not to lord authority over one another to the disciples. Also he said where two, three or more of them in agreement he would be there. In the Gospel there's more sayings of his about judgment like taking the plank out of your own eye first. Another is not to judge as the judgment we use is how we'll be judged.

In Acts the Apostles authority was as the Church according to Christ. Even those who lead weren't perfect; Peter had denied Jesus three times, Paul had persecuted the Church, and James supposedly his brother accepted him after his death. Then the inclusion of the Gentiles involved Paul who was an Apostle to the Gentiles, James who was a leader of the Jewish believers (Jerusalem church), and Peter who was the Apostle chosen to shepherd/father the Church.

All these different people and places yet they were united under one faith, one Church, one Christ, and one God. I'm thinking it's the opposite of those three; humility and mercy, justice too. Peter admitted the keeping of the law was a yoke the Jews hadn't been able to burden, that is why for the Gentiles he was lenient regarding their inclusion. When Peter didn't eat with the Gentiles as he had done, separating himself sitting with other Jews, even to him Paul rebuked.

If we as Christians are under the law of Christ and not the law of Moses, does this mean our discernment should be of the Holy Spirit and not the sinful flesh? What I mean is instead of looking at God's word as a law to be enforced against sin, we look to it for raising ourselves and others in the spirit (Not saying to ignore sin being lawless against God). I'm thinking if we understood God according to the Gospel and Jesus, our discernment of His word would be character driven (values/principles) like the major three displayed by the Lord and Apostles alike.

Should this be the case for how we interpret the Bible, putting it into the context of the Gospel through Jesus and consider his motivations or intentions behind his instructions and teachings? Would this lead the modern Church to greater understanding and unity?

Last edited:

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If your question is if we should be thinking about the intentions behind Jesus and the apostles actions in the Bible, the I'd say yes. We can definitely gain a deeper understanding of God this way. I think this is what you're asking, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If your question is if we should be thinking about the intentions behind Jesus and the apostles actions in the Bible, the I'd say yes. We can definitely gain a deeper understanding of God this way. I think this is what you're asking, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, what motivated them and what was intended. The big differences of Jesus and the Apostles versus men was God's nature. Which would be His character expressed through them. Apparent characteristics which separate Him from us are humility, mercy, and justice. These traits if they're in us as believers would unite and not divide. Unlike hypocrisy, judgment, and condemnation which are common of man.

So if the Church is to have the Holy Spirit, it would be in Christ lead by him and not men or ourselves interpreting as we will God's word. Under the law of Christ we're to discern the fruits of the spirit and not as if we're under the law of Moses judging sins of the flesh. When we confuse the two our values and principles aren't fully aligned, also opposing the weightier matters regarding God's word and following Jesus.

Upvote 0