Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How? What are the odds of having an accident on any given day? Without an accident how on Earth does it effect anyone else?
It doesn't. It's a protection against a worst case scenario. Most accidents happen at less than 30 mph.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why? It is OUR safety
Not usually.
Cars are a lot less safe TODAY and for the last 30 years than they were before (back when they had STEEL and STEEL BUMPERS and drivers that learned how to drive first before driving etc etc etc) .

It's NOT about safety ----- it is about CONTROL, POWER, and MONEY.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,240,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
What right does the government have to force me to wear a seat belt? I am an adult. I own my body and am responsible for assessing risk and acting accordingly. If I choose not to wear a seat belt for myself, what basis does the government have to force me to wear one?

It's a violation of my personal liberty and right to privacy.

Btw, I always wear a seat belt. But I do so because I choose to. The state has no right to force me to comply with its laws about safety, when I am the only one who would suffer harm from failure to comply.

Discuss.
I actually don't mind it, because the damage that could result if I don't wear one affects not only me, but others as well -- anything from becoming a projectile injuring fellow passengers, to being a drain on others who may have to take care of me because my injuries have put me in a vegetative state.

If only I was affected by it, then yeah, the law would feel very intrusive.

-

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Like many others, the 'spin' (false news) about the so-called safety of seat belts sounded convincing to you, and that's no surprise since so much money is involved.
When they first came out, a lot of people at many levels pointed out that it should be a matter of choice, mostly because practically speaking
wearing a seat belt often resulted in a persons death instead of surviving an accident,
and the old "projectile" excuse was not based in facts.
Since then (it has been decades ago) the statistics have been overwhelmingly stacked so people cannot know or find out the truth about it, (or air bags either). (or loss of steel bumpers !!!! either , and how many lives that cost, and how many billions of dollars also )
I actually don't mind it, because the damage that could result if I don't wear one affects not only me, but others as well -- anything from becoming a projectile injuring fellow passengers, to being a drain on others who may have to take care of me because my injuries have put me in a vegetative state.

If only I was affected by it, then yeah, the law would feel very intrusive.

-

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,240,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Like many others, the 'spin' (false news) about the so-called safety of seat belts sounded convincing to you, and that's no surprise since so much money is involved.
When they first came out, a lot of people at many levels pointed out that it should be a matter of choice, mostly because practically speaking
wearing a seat belt often resulted in a persons death instead of surviving an accident,
and the old "projectile" excuse was not based in facts.
Since then (it has been decades ago) the statistics have been overwhelmingly stacked so people cannot know or find out the truth about it, (or air bags either). (or loss of steel bumpers !!!! either , and how many lives that cost, and how many billions of dollars also )
Judging by the crash I was in just over a year ago, the belt and .air bags proved to be quite helpful. I shudder to think what may have become of me if I didn't have those. Long story short, today I wouldn't have been able to shudder. Or think. :D

-

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I am rejoicing (truthfully) and glad that you were protected,
but that is not unusual.
I would be quite dead if a seat belt and air bag worked the way they were supposed to. (thankfully not the case ! )
The roof of the car was smashed in right where my skull would have been.
This happens a lot more often
than recognized. Just one more example: a police officer burned to death because she could not get released from her seat belt after an accident.
Her fellow officers watched helpless as they could not get close enough fast enough to do anything for her.
Be sure though, that for the next 15 years, they did not issue as many seat belt tickets as the officers who did not know about it.
They 'reluctantly' issued any to meet their quotas mandated by their job!

Judging by the crash I was in just over a year ago, the belt and .air bags proved to be quite helpful. I shudder to think what may have become of me if I didn't have those. Long story short, today I wouldn't have been able to shudder. Or think. :D
-

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What right does the government have to force me to wear a seat belt? I am an adult. I own my body and am responsible for assessing risk and acting accordingly. If I choose not to wear a seat belt for myself, what basis does the government have to force me to wear one?

Btw, I always wear a seat belt. But I do so because I choose to. The state has no right to force me to comply with its laws about safety, when I am the only one who would suffer harm from failure to comply.

Discuss.

I agree with you, I always thought it was being too controlling. I understand safety laws when it comes to a person unwisely dangering others, but it should be a persons choice when its just affecting themselves.

I do also always wear my seatbelt by the way. Saved my life in an accident.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you feel about suicide and voluntary euthanasia? @Tallguy88 ?

You're quoting me but tagging Tallguy so not sure who you are asking.

Obviously I don't think people should commit suicide, but I don't think it should be considered a crime. That's another thing up to the person.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You're quoting me but tagging Tallguy so not sure who you are asking.
I'm asking both of you, that's why I tagged @Tallguy88 , too
Obviously I don't think people should commit suicide, but I don't think it should be considered a crime. That's another thing up to the person.
And euthanasia?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Was this to me? Just (and please, correct me if I'm mistaken) I seem to remember you being against legal euthanasia?
I am. I meant I agree with JCF. Suicide shouldn't be a crime, but we should confine and treat a person attempting it.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am. I meant I agree with JCF. Suicide shouldn't be a crime, but we should confine and treat a person attempting it.
So, not allow it, you mean? Take active steps to intervene and stop people from doing it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Discuss.

Perhaps the government shouldn't require seat belts. After all, some don't think that it really has any responsibility to promote the general welfare. However, INSURANCE COMPANIES should be free not to cover any of your costs associated with an accident with no seat belt.

It been a while since we've discussed the Ayn Rand approach to individual freedom and government.

Upvote 0