• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Man Who Mocked George Floyd’s Killing Is Fired by FedEx

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Jun 11, 2020.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+9,899
    Christian
    Man Who Mocked George Floyd’s Killing Is Fired by FedEx

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Frugality

Frugality Renewed

+245
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    A reminder that free speech and expression is a right that protects you from legal consequences and nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. solid_core

solid_core Well-Known Member

+1,505
    Austria
    Protestant
    Single
  4. Frugality

Frugality Renewed

+245
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    It is a free country. They weren't charged, prosecuted, or imprisoned. They turned out better than George Floyd, in fact.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. solid_core

solid_core Well-Known Member

+1,505
    Austria
    Protestant
    Single
    If you cannot say what you think without serious consequences, then you are NOT living in a free country. Period.

And the loss of job is a serious consequence.

6. Frugality

Frugality Renewed

+245
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    If you don't understand the rights you do and do not have in the country in which you reside, only you are at fault. Your rights don't protect you from facing any and all consequences; they protect you legally.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Yttrium

Yttrium Well-Known Member

+948
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    So people should be able to call their boss a moron without being fired? Gee, that would be nice. I don't see that happening, though. The companies have freedoms and rights too.

8. SummerMadness

+9,899
    Christian
    Wonderful advice for up and coming employees. Go to work and curse out your supervisor, there should be no consequences for that! Free speech!

Some do not understand how free speech works, @Paisios of Athos laid it out very clearly.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Gregorikos

Gregorikos Ordinary Mystic

+337
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    No one was fired for their opinions. they were fired for their public behavior.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  10. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,383
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Sickening, he also mocked his death. By kneeling on some guys neck. I wouldn't want him around me. Or delivery my things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+10,399
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Really, that’s what you think? You can just say whatever you like, and if it happens to offend your (private) employer they should just get over it? Since when is company policy over the reckless behaviour of employees an indicator of the freedom of a country? I doubt if there are any companies that don’t have a clause in every employee’s contract that specifies loss of employment for any behaviour that, in their opinion, risks bringing the company into disrepute. Certainly not any large or successful company.

12. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+2,205
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    To roughly quote XKCD: "Free speech doesn't mean freedom from criticism or consequences. If you are yelled at, get your show cancelled, banned from an internet community, or lose your job, your free speech rights are not being violated.

It's just that people think you are an *********. And they are showing you the door"

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Caliban

Caliban Well-Known Member

+1,105
    United States
    Skeptic
    Married
    You can't be serious...I don't think you understand freedom. People are not free to spew racist ideology without social consequences. The one who was not free was George Floyd.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+6,525
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Yeah youre free to be a jerk in many ways.

Others are also free to see you being a jerk and say "I dont want to associate with you". And then follow through.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+4,610
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So do you support people being able to tell a supervisor off, or speak their mind freely with customers?

16. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+19,267
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Free speech does not mean free from consequences. It means free from government infringement.

A valuable lesson to be learned.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. SummerMadness

+9,899
    Christian
    The same thing happened to a student that received a scholarship to college this fall. She posted a racist meme laughing at George Floyd's death on social media... she lost her scholarship. You are not entitled to your job or scholarship, as you said, free speech does not mean free from consequences.

18. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+10,832
    United States
    Married
    Apparently you can do that in Russia...

19. Trogdor the Burninator

Trogdor the Burninator Senior Veteran

+1,549
    Christian
    First up, I have zero sympathy for the person who mocked George Floyd. If someone hates black people that much, they should just stay away from society altogether.

But I'm not so sure I agree with the definition of "not free from consequences" either. Because I can easily see a world where corporations fired people for tweeting in support of BLM. Or calling Trump names. Or posting material in support of Palestine. Or distributing union materials.

Speaking out and not going to jail but losing your job is how McCarthyism worked.

20. SarahsKnight

SarahsKnight Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth. Supporter

+8,012
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    That's what a mocking display of someone's completely unjustifiable death is to you? ... A mere opinion?