Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the issue is less of concern with the fact that a fish was cut in half (if it had been a fish caught for food, no one would have batted an eye) ...

But more the thought of what kind of motive is behind the killing and mutilation of a pet as part of a domestic dispute. That could very easily be meant (and taken) as a veiled threat against either the child or mother, at worst, or demonstrate an inclination to violence and lack of impulse control at the very least. In either case, something that should be addressed.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the issue is less of concern with the fact that a fish was cut in half (if it had been a fish caught for food, no one would have batted an eye) ...

But more the thought of what kind of motive is behind the killing and mutilation of a pet as part of a domestic dispute. That could very easily be meant (and taken) as a veiled threat against either the child or mother, at worst, or demonstrate an inclination to violence and lack of impulse control at the very least. In either case, something that should be addressed.

Agreed...

Obviously if the state issues licenses that allows people to kill fish, and seafood restaurants exist, it's safe to assume that the government doesn't really care about people killing fish.

Like you said, I think the concern was more along the lines of "This guy does impulsive things with knives when he's mad"

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have three beautiful fishes. They are my family. Picture it being your dog or family member. That someone killed in front of your child and you. 4 months or less is nothing. These fishes aren't for eating. Not that I would go fishing, kill or eat a fish in the river beach or what ever. That would be distasteful to me.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have three beautiful fishes. They are my family. Picture it being your dog or family member.

I wouldn't picture a dog or a fish as a family member...but that's just me.

I realize that people love their pets, but when people start equating a dog, cat, or fish with their own human children, I think that's where it starts bordering on what's called "pet obsession".

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A Connecticut man has been sentenced to 120 days in jail after police say he cut a pet fish in half during a domestic dispute.

The Bristol Press reports ( The Bristol Press - New Britain man gets 120 days in prison after killing pet fish in Bristol ) 33-year-old Juan Vega pleaded guilty Tuesday to breach of peace. As part of the plea deal, a charge of cruelty to animals was dropped.

Man sentenced to 120 days in jail after pet fish cut in half

Whole thread seems a bit post hoc ergo propter hocish to me. He got done for breach of peace, not cruelty to animals.

• Agree
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Part of the factor was that he violated his parole, which made the sentence longer

Ronald Dearstyne, the prosecutor, said Vega’s parole being violated as a result of the arrest weighed into the sentence he offered.

Vega’s criminal history includes convictions of drug sales, Dearstyne said.​

This was also not HIS fish - it was his girlfriend's fish and he was trying to torment her and the child. Not cool. He also broke her TV set by kicking it.

The time sentence isn't too long considering all this.

This article title is misleading.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0