Man harasses woman as non-citizen for wearing Puerto Rican shirt—police officer does nothing

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Forest Preserves probe cop's response to Puerto Rican harassment complaint
A Cook County Forest Preserves police officer has been assigned to desk duty after he was seen on video allowing a man to harass a woman who was wearing a shirt that featured the Puerto Rican flag.

Video of the June 14 incident at an undisclosed Cook County Forest Preserve has since gone viral, garnering more than 1 million views on Facebook alone.
On several occasions she called out to the officer who was first on the scene, telling him how uncomfortable she was with the man harassing her.

"I do not feel comfortable with him here; is there anything you can do?" she asks.

"He didn't do anything," Irizarry says a short time later, apparently referring to the police officer.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I understood it. The main character is Filipino. What's your point?

At the time it was written that selection was quite intentional, a member of a group looked down on. When I read it as a young man Filipinos being thought of as trash was fading enough that I did not realize that significance. Seeing them as trash seems to be having a resurgence.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Someone at work opined that she if she doesn't like America she should go back to her own country.

*headdesk*

How dare she disrespect America by wearing a shirt that displays the name and flag of a place that is part of America. Such a disgrace.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the time it was written that selection was quite intentional, a member of a group looked down on. When I read it as a young man Filipinos being thought of as trash was fading enough that I did not realize that significance. Seeing them as trash seems to be having a resurgence.

You may be reading stuff into the novel that's not there. The character Juan Rico was born into a wealthy family in a Tagalog-speaking area of the Terran Federation, i.e. in what is now the Philippines.

And were Filipinos "thought of as trash" in the US in 1959? Are they now?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sad. The trend had been otherwise. I was sort of hoping the current generation would have a hard time understanding some of the end of Starship Troopers. Easy now that such bigotry has returned in full measure.

I didn't understand what you meant by that.

Never mind, I read further, and I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may be reading stuff into the novel that's not there. The character Juan Rico was born into a wealthy family in a Tagalog-speaking area of the Terran Federation, i.e. in what is now the Philippines.

And were Filipinos "thought of as trash" in the US in 1959?

Yeah, rather.

Are they now?

Yeah, rather.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I thought was interesting was how the police officer stood back and let it go on without trying to take control of the situation at all.

Brown people can't call the police on white people. Doesn't work that way here.

A white Texas police officer whose violent arrest of three black women went viral when it hit the internet was placed on restricted duty Thursday while an internal investigation is under way, officials said.
The confrontation erupted after Jacqueline Craig called Fort Worth police to report that a white neighbor had choked her 7-year-old son, NBC Dallas-Fort Worth reported.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk...-black-women-white-officer-after-they-n699201

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
What I thought was interesting was how the police officer stood back and let it go on without trying to take control of the situation at all.

Brown people can't call the police on white people. Doesn't work that way here.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk...-black-women-white-officer-after-they-n699201
And the other detail is the police officer only intervened when someone came to the woman's aid and told the man to step back. The whole time I was wondering, isn't the job of the police officer to tell the man harassing the woman to step back? Especially when she tells the officer directly that the man is harassing her.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Puerto Rico as a whole is a bit of an anomoly these days. As I understand it they are about the only place on the United Nations list of non-self-governing territories that is currently lobbying to be a full part of it's "Administering Power" - as in becoming a state.

Most of the other US NSGTs are going for extra powers, the French NSGTs are moving towards independence, the solitary NZ NSGT is determinedly staying as one - they've had two inquorate independence referenda and the British contributions to the list have a sufficient degree of self-government that they a) wonder what they have to do to get off of the UN list and b) exercise the self-government in ways that the British government find marginally inconvenient (eg conscription in Bermuda, or the whole "belonger" status - as they control their own immigration while BOT citizens can move to the UK,other British citizens cannot necessarily move to a BOT).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And the other detail is the police officer only intervened when someone came to the woman's aid and told the man to step back. The whole time I was wondering, isn't the job of the police officer to tell the man harassing the woman to step back? Especially when she tells the officer directly that the man is harassing her.

Was just going to mention that...

While the guy is clearly not in his right mind (can't tell if he was unstable or just drunk), the cop sat back and watched while she asked numerous times for help and he stared right at the situation, and did nothing.

As soon as her brother - according to the video - (a non-white guy) stepped in and backed the guy up, then the cop decides he's going to intervene and start moving in on the conversation.

Apparently in the eyes of that particular officer, there's no real danger until it's a white person that's about to get roughed up.

I hate to say it, but this is why so many minorities distrust the police.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How dare she disrespect America by wearing a shirt that displays the name and flag of a place that is part of America. Such a disgrace.

I'm calling Poe!

That said it is funny how white folks never seem to have this problem. I have 2 Springbok Jerseys, both of which I wear very often in public. Never had a problem. Same for my Fiji Jersey which I no longer wear that much because it is wearing out.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Was just going to mention that...

While the guy is clearly not in his right mind (can't tell if he was unstable or just drunk), the cop sat back and watched while she asked numerous times for help and he stared right at the situation, and did nothing.

As soon as her brother - according to the video - (a non-white guy) stepped in and backed the guy up, then the cop decides he's going to intervene and start moving in on the conversation.

Apparently in the eyes of that particular officer, there's no real danger until it's a white person that's about to get roughed up.

I hate to say it, but this is why so many minorities distrust the police.
I think the main point that should be reiterated (I say it often), the bad police officer is not the problem and is not the one who causes distrust of the police; it is the lack of accountability that often comes with bad police officers. Many times, without media scrutiny, this officer goes unpunished or if fired, simply gets a job somewhere else. The police department becomes like a prison with a high recidivism rate, except it's the rehiring of bad police officers who have no business wearing the uniform. If bad cops lost their job, they would be an unfortunate reality (every occupation has incompetent people), but you could be rest assured that if their conduct reached a certain level, you would not see that person in uniform in your city or another city.

I am reminded of the officer that killed Tamir Rice had an evaluation that said he should not be a police officer, but yet he still found a job elsewhere. And that needs to stop.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0