Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So man and woman are created in God's image without one being lesser than the other. With that in mind, doesn't it seem that God is likely genderless? I know what Genesis says about how man and woman work together, but can we consider the idea of sex and gender being separate for a moment, and how these things, and the creation story, might affect the classical view of God as 'He'?

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So man and woman are created in God's image without one being lesser than the other. With that in mind, doesn't it seem that God is likely genderless? I know what Genesis says about how man and woman work together, but can we consider the idea of sex and gender being separate for a moment, and how these things, and the creation story, might affect the classical view of God as 'He'?

Jesus said.

I and the Father are one.

John 10:30

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I suppose it could if "He" is the stop/start point for how one views the Father. But you have to in part remember the time that the Scriptures were first written. A patriarchal society with roles being clearly defined to fit that common understanding.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

KaieraAi

Sep 6, 2017
Painted Post
✟9,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I suppose it could if "He" is the stop/start point for how one views the Father. But you have to in part remember the time that the Scriptures were first written. A patriarchal society with roles being clearly defined to fit that common understanding.

Exactly! That's what I was thinking. The first thing said about human creation is simply, they were created in his image, male and female they were created. Which makes it sound like perhaps the sex part is simply a trait of humankind? Hmm. From a sociology perspective, we see that sex and gender are two different things, and it seems this is talking about the sex of mankind, not gender.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Exactly! That's what I was thinking. The first thing said about human creation is simply, they were created in his image, male and female they were created. Which makes it sound like perhaps the sex part is simply a trait of humankind? Hmm. From a sociology perspective, we see that sex and gender are two different things, and it seems this is talking about the sex of mankind, not gender.

Not exactly. I do not think our creation in His Image is either about sex or gender. While, the reevaluation of the cultural norms of the days of the Scriptures first being committed to parchment or velum has a role in how we should reevaluate that truth going forward. But, in this case, we are created with His ability to love, to steward the planet, to have the potential on being pure at first and his free will which play a role in the Fall of Man. that is what being created in HIS Image really represents. And why Jesus' sacrifice on Calvary was God's own work to bring us back to his ideal, as with our imperfections and sins erased by Jesus' blood.

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟40,965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most think that in God's image means God looks (visibly) like us and/or visa versa. However there is another way of discerning this.

God is omniscience, omnipresent, and omnipotence means that He is inconceivable. So are we to our mind, we too cannot conceive ourselves as the mind. God's image of Self is inconceivable. Our image of self is also inconceivable.

However, the mind, to make sense of itself, fabricated a story of self (ego) to make sense of itself. The mind knows it is invalid, but wont give it up because it fears losing its own identity, itself, to its truth. That is why it (the ego) always seek validation to keep the pretense up. That is also why the ego fears the truth, because itself is not true.

Our old nature (self-will) believes in the ego is real and true. It is a fear-based deceptive reality.
Our new nature (God's-will) believes in God, Christ and God's kingdom to be the Greater True Reality.

For us to conceive God's image of inconceivability is for us to abandon our self-will beliefs of ego conceivability for our spiritual conceivability. This is done by believing in Christ the Son of God. Christ is the way, the truth, and the life which allows us (believers in Christ) to see the kingdom of God. That is, to conceive the inconceivability of God, and our true spiritual identity, as children of God.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So man and woman are created in God's image without one being lesser than the other. With that in mind, doesn't it seem that God is likely genderless?
Not really. Genderless means neither gender. From the description of God in the Hebrew scriptures, He is BOTH genders. In fact, the majority of descriptors are feminine.

One quick example: One of HIS names is El Shaddai - rendered "The All Sufficient God." But "shad" is the Hebrew word for breast.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

we can judge things by the standards of God's righteousness, but there should be a sanctification rather than defilement...

Blessings

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I would not say 'genderless' I would say 'androgynous' because He had within himself the fullness of the male and female attributes of creation, essential for reproduction. In scripture John says "God is spirit". I believe that is the image/substance of God. And when Genesis says "Let US make mankind in OUR image" He did so by putting a spirit in us, which was 'of His spirit'. And when God, in His androgynous plurality of male/female did this 'birthing' of human spirits, He did so because that's what God was....spirit. There was no 'Jesus' at creation, there was only Father/spirit, Word/spirit and Holy Spirit/spirit. And God's original Adam/mankind creation, was also androgenous containing within himself both male and female attributes...'like God'. But because of Adam's loneliness God went down and took out a 'side' of Adam. And the 1/2 that He took He formed (not created) a new body.

GEN 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

• Informative
Reactions: KaieraAi
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Bible says God is a spirit:

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

So, if we are images of God, we are images of a spirit and therefore similar spiritually.

But father is an idea that describes God and it I think it is not biological thing, but rather spiritual thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KaieraAi

Sep 6, 2017
Painted Post
✟9,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God is omniscience, omnipresent, and omnipotence means that He is inconceivable. So are we to our mind, we too cannot conceive ourselves as the mind. God's image of Self is inconceivable. Our image of self is also inconceivable.

So with this, clearly a self-built identity isn't important, only our identity in Christ is. But do you think there are earthly things about our identity of perception of self that should be valued? Like for instance, I pride myself as a good friend and musician, but neither of those things really impact my identity in Christ (Well, I guess being a good friend could be based on my concept and value of loving and caring for others). Anyways, what I'm saying is, how do we then weed out the parts of our earthly identity that shouldn't matter, and what parts of it should? Should we value our gifts and skills? Or do we need to approach these things from a different perspective that doesn't impact our earthly identity? Do you think defining ourselves is a bad thing?

"Let US make mankind in OUR image" He did so by putting a spirit in us, which was 'of His spirit'.

Along with the top part, I think this is mentioning the same idea, that we are in God's image through spirit. So we can have an identity of self simply in the concept of God, of universal love and unfathomable forgiveness, right? That is the part of God that we have been created in the image of. We need to nurture that and grow in it, focus on making it the most powerful part of our being, right?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Analysis of the times had ideas "pulled from" the head or the feet.
Eve came from Adams side, illustrating equality.
Gender matters must be ignored.

Treat other people just as you would wish to be treated, yourself.
This is the basis of the Law and the Prophets.
Gender matters must be ignored.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟40,965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So with this, clearly a self-built identity isn't important, only our identity in Christ is. But do you think there are earthly things about our identity of perception of self that should be valued? Like for instance, I pride myself as a good friend and musician, but neither of those things really impact my identity in Christ (Well, I guess being a good friend could be based on my concept and value of loving and caring for others). Anyways, what I'm saying is, how do we then weed out the parts of our earthly identity that shouldn't matter, and what parts of it should? Should we value our gifts and skills? Or do we need to approach these things from a different perspective that doesn't impact our earthly identity? Do you think defining ourselves is a bad thing?...
Not the true thing to do.

1 John 2:16 For everything in the world_the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life_comes not from the Father but from the world.

For everything in the world... (the world is what we perceive via self-will, which is censored and determined by our fears of invalidity).
_the lust of the flesh,...(exploiting self, others, and anything else made from dust (benefiting the ego-self from the physical (visible) world).
...the lust of the eyes,...(imagining, dreaming, wishing, and even baiting what to exploit for ego-self)
...and the pride of life...(self-will run riot is playing god. Claiming all exploits as your own kingdom)
_comes not from the Father...(self-will exploits does not come from God's will. The word Father implies that we 'who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God' [Romans 8:14]. Father -- Son (Christ) -- brothers and sisters (we in Christ).
...but from the world. (self-will reality)
...Along with the top part, I think this is mentioning the same idea, that we are in God's image through spirit. So we can have an identity of self simply in the concept of God, of universal love and unfathomable forgiveness, right? That is the part of God that we have been created in the image of. We need to nurture that and grow in it, focus on making it the most powerful part of our being, right?
There is a trap here. We (self-will) cannot focus on making ours being powerful. That is ego claiming it again. Humility (letting go of self-will) allows God's-will for us to be conceived and the power/courage to carry it out. Letting go is not focusing or hanging on.

The nurture part is us letting go of self. So really, it is easy, because all we do not to interfere with God's-will, but just go along with it regardless of our ego-fears. That is why faith is so important, because without it, self-will will run-riot.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Along with the top part, I think this is mentioning the same idea, that we are in God's image through spirit. So we can have an identity of self simply in the concept of God, of universal love and unfathomable forgiveness, right? That is the part of God that we have been created in the image of. We need to nurture that and grow in it, focus on making it the most powerful part of our being, right?
I think that spirit is the SUBSTANCE of God. But attributes like "universal love and unfathomable forgiveness" are CHARACTER attributes of the "likeness" of God's . And androgenous ADAM was originally created in the image/spirit of God and ADAM/EVE were created to pursue "after His likeness". IOW, they were originally created to 'want to be like God'. The fact that they were made in His image/spirit, but were not yet mature in their character and 'likeness of God' is what the very temptation of Satan was, and which became their downfall in the Garden.

GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our LIKEness:

And Satan said;
GEN 3:5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be LIKE God, knowing good and evil."

The rest of the promise of God was that after they were 'like' Him they would rule this earth 'as Gods' and for God.
"and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

But the FALL interrupted that coming to pass. Yes God wants us to be like Him. But in doing what ADAM/EVE did...to pursue the 'being like God' and "knowing good and evil" came from an illegitimate source...Satan. He usurped the authority meant to be our, and is even now "the God of this world" (2Cor 4:4).

Jesus came and fulfilled being a 'perfect man' because He was always obedient to the Father. Therefore AFTER HE DIED, He was given "the name above all names". And in the context of what we're talking about here "name" is representative of AUTHORITY and not just a moniker.

And, as you say; "we need to nuture and grow" but not in our image/spirit, but in our soul. After we have been 'born again', our spirit is good. "he who is joined to the Lord is ONE SPRIT". IOW, your spirit is saved. Now we must "work out the salvation" of our soul in pursuing the mind of Christ and the "likeness of God" in our character.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on how things look. :) Not saying you/anyone else has to agree though. :amen:

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

From the beginning man referenced God as "he".

Gen 1
[27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Gen 1
[31] And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

In early history, Moses first called God, the "father".

Deut. 32
[6] Do ye thus requite the LORD, O foolish people and unwise? is not he thy father that hath bought thee? hath he not made thee, and established thee?

While man has referenced God as "he" and as "thy father".
God has made no correction to that reference.
However God did notify mankind that the LORD IS - I AM - I AM THAT I AM.

Ex 3
[14] And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

While he, him, his, father, son and man represent a MALE GENDER in application to and understanding of a particular GENDER that occupies the Earth - such terms ARE FOR the benefit of occupants OF the Earth.

All occupants OF the Earth are "KINDS" of things. One of those "KINDS" of things is called MAN ie MANKIND - and MANKIND has two Genders. ie MALE and FEMALE - and that which was created (mankind), by Gods design requires TWO Genders (male and female) to REPRODUCE.

God has No Gender. God IS "I AM". God CAN NOT Reproduce.
God can call things which are not, as though they are - ie Father, He, Son.

God creates (forms) a Natural man (body/form) from the Natural element called Earth and gives that body it's own seed.

Meaning by mankind's Natural law - a father Reproduces a son via copulation to plant
his seed within a woman.

Meaning by Gods Spiritual law - God can plant His SEED in a mans Heart, and that births a man a NEW spirit - No copulation - no "thing" is reproduced - what is birthed is a NEW truth - a Supernatural Truth - which is Gods Word.

Ex 3
[14] And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM:

Isa 41
[4] Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning?
I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.

Isa 48
[12] Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first,
I also am the last.

John 8
[24] I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that
I am he
, ye shall die in your sins.

John 13
[19] Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that
I am he.

While Gender IS necessary for reproducing Earthly occupants...as it IS the Law of Nature for the Natural Earth...

Gender has NO necessity for quickening ie (birthing ie bringing to life) Gods Word in a mans heart.

When God quickens a mans spirit - what he is quickening is Gods Word in a man.
Man is simply a KIND of thing whose estate is the Earth, thus what is occupying the Earth is called a mankind - regardless of its gender - we are all manKIND.

God Bless,
SBC

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Welcome to the Forum -

So man and woman are created in God's image

Actually more specific; In their Image; After their Likeness

Gen 1 [26] And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:

In and After - what applies to "them", according to God.

What is "Gods image"? Body
What is "Gods likeness"? Good Body, Good Soul, Good Spirit.

What did God create?
..A body of flesh, from dust of the earth, a Man, God called Adam.
What is the image of A man?
..A very good natural body, very good spiritual soul, very good natural spirit.
..And out of the bone of that good natural body, God created a woman, God called Adam.

Gen 1
[31] And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

And what happened ?
...The very good natural flesh body became corrupt.
...The very good spiritual soul within the body became corrupt.
...The very good natural spirit within the body became corrupt.

And so what did manKIND and his offspring become?
Not Good, and Not in Gods image and likeness, but in Adam's image and likeness.

Gen.5
[1] This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
[2] Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
[3] And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Point being what initially applied to Adam (ie man and woman) does not apply to earthly offspring -

However God has provide a WAY for an earthly man to be RESTORED, QUICKENED and CHANGED and RECONCILED BACK to being in the condition as God intended.

RESTORED - soul (ie saved)

Pss 23
[3] He restoreth my soul:

QUICKENED - spirit (ie born again)

John 6
[63
] It is the spirit that quickeneth;

CHANGED - body (future, for all restored souls and quickened spirits)

1 Cor 15
[52]
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

We wait to See the changed body - however in God accounting it is already done.
And WHY when a man - submits in true faithfulness unto God -
the mans CONVERSION from Corrupt to Not Corrupt (ie the mans Reconciliation)
is Complete - and We know this - BECAUSE -

the Conversion requires the WHOLE of what was corrupt to be made WHOLLY changed -

Matt 9
[22] But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole

Mark 10
[52] And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole.

Luke 17
[19] And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.

Note;
What came forth out from Adam was also called Adam - but Adam called the woman Eve.

What came forth out from God was also called God - yet God said call Him Gods Son.

Matt 1
[23] Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Luke 1
[35] And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0