Male vs Female Dynamic; Is Chivalry Dead?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The difficulty I have at the moment, is that when I try to imagine "more chivalry" in the way men interact with me, it seems to mostly translate to being more patronised. Maybe it's because I'm often dealing with men much older than me, some of whom have precious little respect for me already, but I just don't want more of that.

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Chivalry, or general politeness, is a cultural thing. It varies by different regions and ages. The Bible does not specifically define what is rude or polite or acceptable for different genders as far as general social behavior goes. Rudesness, or the lack of it, solely exists in one's perception.

What many believed was rude a long time ago, is not considered rude now. There are things considered rude now, that others would not have thought was rude a long time ago. Changes aren't inherently bad, but just a reflection of the current trends.

An example is the rule about no elbows on the table. The whole reason that got started was because people would be forcibly placed in the navy. They would walk in and look around for people who seemed fit and perhaps experienced for military service. They would target men and boys who put their elbows on the table because that is a habit sailors would adapt to keep their food and drink from sliding around because of being tossed by waves. Mothers who did not want their boys taken would tell them not to eat with elbows on the table. Over time it evolved into a rule for good manners. However, it is not necessarily applicable for today.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0