Male Gynecologists

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PrivateWoman

It tells me that teenagers giggle when they feel awkward and at inappropriate times.

Honey, I understand that you had bad experiences with a male GYN, but you are making some broad accusations about men in general (and physicians in particular). The vast majority of male medical personnel are only looking out for your well being. They are not out to molest you.

Feel free to see whatever competent GYN you wish. That is what is important.

I have never been to a male gynecologist and I'm very happy about that. If you look at the first posting I made, I made a commitment to True Love Waits and as a part of the commitment, I am committed to never letting another man except for my future husband to see certain parts of my body.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have never been to a male gynecologist and I'm very happy about that. If you look at the first posting I made, I made a commitment to True Love Waits and as a part of the commitment, I am committed to never letting another man except for my future husband to see certain parts of my body.
Sorry. I mixed you up with someone else.

Do as you will. The rest of my post stands.

Upvote 0

paige_w

Aug 28, 2010
Canada
✟7,666.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
To be completely honest, I'm more comfortable with a male gynecologist. I find women are more judging.
Like when I went in for a breast exam... the female nurse made several comments about my boobs. The first was "aw, you have little boobies!" and then second was about them being veiny. I have never had a male practitioner make any comments.
But then that's just me :)

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I certainly don't want a lesbian female ob/gyn. Most female gynecologists are not lesbians. You can easily discern if they are one. I know that one female ob/gyn resident near where I live is a lesbian. I certainly would not want to go to her. The best thing to do is to do some research on a female gynecologist before you select her.

I'd be interested to know how you "easily discern". I know some gay people who are very openly gay and make no secret of it. I know other gay people who left me quite surprised when I found out they were gay.

I feel that paramedics cut off too many clothes. I feel that paramedics should be more sensitive to ensuring patients' modesty. In many cases, it is not really necessary to take clothes off. There is a good article about how medical professionals should work hard to ensure patients' modesty at For Medical Professionals. There is nothing specifically about paramedics on this web page though.
It's a long time since I was involved in first aid, but when I was trained in it one of the over-riding rules was that patient privacy was one of the highest priorities. If as a man it was necessary to cut clothes away from a patient (especially a female patient) it opened up so much scope for accusations of improper behaviour it's best not to do it unless it's truly necessary. After all, if men who can barely contain their lust had a free rein and a perfect excuse to cut women's clothes off don't you think female patients would end up naked as a matter of routine regardless of what had been wrong with them?

I'm sure some people do go into medical professions for the wrong reasons, just as some people work with children for the wrong reasons. But I think it's also safe to say they are a small minority. The majority go into it to help people regardless of their gender. If someone wants a job just to get to look at naked women it would make more sense to direct inappropriate content films than train as a gynaeceologist. Less training needed, no need to justify asking the women to do anything, and you can choose the lithe 21-year-old athletes to take the starring roles. The gynaecologist may not get the option to refuse to see the 400-pound grandmother with a bad-smelling discharge.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I feel that paramedics cut off too many clothes. I feel that paramedics should be more sensitive to ensuring patients' modesty. In many cases, it is not really necessary to take clothes off.

Let's see if you feel that way, should your daughter or other female you care about needs assistance. Make sure you're there to discipline the paramedic trying to save their life, by reminding him that he cannot take off her shirt(or bra) even if it's to save her life.

What you said(with all due respect) is one of the most absurd statements I've ever seen. Freedom of Speech yes, but I believe you need to grow up a bit.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I can't believe Satan has tricked another person so well. Yes, God only meant for only a husband and wife to see each other, but besides for the parents of a young child, God never meant for a man to see a man or a woman to see a woman. You feel for Satan's lies that it is more ok for a woman to see another woman there. Only your mother should, and only while you are a child (as to what defines child, probably up to puberty, but not after that). You have fallen for the lie that is ok for another woman to poke and prod you in a place saved only for your husband, making you think it is ok because it is not a male doing it. In fact, it is worse.

In the Bible, if an unmarried man and woman were caught having sex, they were required to marry, but they were not killed. But if a woman was caught with a woman, they were killed. Yet you seem to think that letting a woman poke and prod you there is better than letting a man do the same? If you lived in a culture ruled by God, letting a man do this would require you to marry him, but if a woman did this to you, you would have to be put to death. Which do you think God finds the abomination? Yes, that is right, the bigger abomination is the one Satan has tricked you into believing is 'acceptable' and 'ok'.

You talk about how it is a lie that it is ok for a man to see a woman there just because he is a doctor. Yet you have fallen for the bigger lie that it is ok for a woman to see another woman there because she is a doctor. Repent now and stop seeing the doctor. There is enough material out there for you to learn how to take care of yourself, and when you get a husband, he can learn to do the same. If your faith in God is strong, you don't have to believe the lies of gynecologist, male or female.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian

And yet you find it acceptable to let a woman see you there? You find it better to incite homosexual lust? Can you not see the lies you have fallen for?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You can certainly choose who is present for your birth. It is best to choose a midwife and/or an all female ob/gyn practice. I know that all doctors are on rotation in a practice. There is a good directory of all female ob/gyn practices at Find a Hospital With All Female OB/GYN Team. I definitely don't recommend the local hospital that is about 10 minutes from my house because their ob/gyn team consists of 3 male gynecologists and 1 female gynecologist. It is best to drive about 35 minutes away to an all female ob/gyn practice.

I know that there are some gross things about childbirth, but that doesn't make right for a male gynecologist to practice. When I was in high school, we had a childbirth video in a science class and some of the boys giggled. They enjoyed seeing the woman's birth canal. What does that tell you?

Seriously? You're using teenage boys giggling as your litmus test?

I STILL giggle if I see a picture of a vagina, because it's funny looking and yeah, kinda gross.

Does that mean I'm a perv?

Your posts are as sexist as the other Christians who claim that women are inferior to men.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I definitely don't recommend the local hospital that is about 10 minutes from my house because their ob/gyn team consists of 3 male gynecologists and 1 female gynecologist. It is best to drive about 35 minutes away to an all female ob/gyn practice.

You better hope that, should you ever get pregnant, that you have time enough to drive those 35 minutes to get to that other OB/GYN's practice. Unless you want to wind up giving birth in your car.

My mother had two OB/GYN's, one who practiced under the other, and she never had a problem with the fact that they were male, and neither did my father.

I know that there are some gross things about childbirth, but that doesn't make right for a male gynecologist to practice. When I was in high school, we had a childbirth video in a science class and some of the boys giggled. They enjoyed seeing the woman's birth canal. What does that tell you?

Whoa... you are comparing teenage boys to an adult practicing in the medical field? That tells me that you are in desparate need of some psychologial help if you are trying to draw that kind of line of comparison.

Sad.

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you feel a personal conviction by God about such matters, by all means, do not go to a male gynecologist.

But if you are going to try and sell all of us on this notion and have women only go to female gynecologist, you're asking a whole lot of women to wait for a very long time before their next appointment, and I don't want to think about how many pap smears will be postponed and how many woman's lives will be put at risk and lost because of your plan.

You greatly overestimate the irresistible allure of female genitalia. You greatly underestimate how controllable men's sexual thoughts and urges are. We are made in the image of God and we can and do make choices to behave appropriatly. Aren't you worried about lesbian obgyns?

Well said. And coming from a woman too! Honestly, I find the OP to be so backwards, it's not funny. What's the problem? If you as a woman don't like male gynos, don't go to one. It's that simple. Why need to put this dramatic post lecturing everybody else on your personal prefernces?

And do you think about the female gyno checking out your clacker if she's straight or gay? You don't know, do you? If she's gay, it's no difference being examined by a male or female.

But honestly, cut the drama. You don't like male gynos. We get it. Don't go to one and let others go to whom they are comfortable with. I think it's utterly ridiculous of you to inflict your personal objections on the rest of the male population and dictate what they can and can't do for a profession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Now all you have to worry about are lesbians. Good luck.

Sadly, there is another category to worry about as well as the obvious lesbian one.

What about all those paediatric doctors, getting to see naked babies and children? Clearly, there is potential for abuse here, of the most terrible kind.

Therefore, logically, only children should be allowed to be doctors to children; boys for boys, girls for girls.

S'obvious.

And nobody even think about the temptation put before those vetinary surgeons! Lord, have mercy!

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I remember talking to a guy who had once planned to be a gynecologist. After doing some study, he determined that he really didn't want to be a gynecologist, and instead decided to pursue a more general medical degree (I forget what he ended up specializing in). His reason? He said that the more he studied, the less special his relationship with his wife would become because of desensitized he would become to female anatomy, not to mention the gruesome images which would build up in his head as he had to work with STI's.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I didn’t understand because I was told as a kid that my father could not see me any more after a certain age. I didn’t get it how it was different for a strange male doctor. I think that my mom’s answer was something like “It’s different because he’s a doctor”. I didn’t buy my mom’s explanation because I knew that both the doctor and my father are men.

Your extreme reactions would seem to stem from this one incident.

In an ideal world, young girls learn about their sexuality from their dads. Dad admires how beautiful they are, but at the same time he knows how to model safe boundaries; he may look, and he may even say something appreciative in an age appropriate way, but he will not touch or speak or look inappropriately. The girl then learns that respectful men will not cross boundaries; she learns that she is beautiful, even attractive, but that she owns her own body.

In the same ideal world, the child's body only becomes out of bounds in terms of being seen (nakedness, as when having a bath, for example) when the child decides it is appropriate for it to be, for both mum and dad. When mum and dad realise that the nudity which has not been a problem until then has become a problem, then they will meet that child's need for privacy.

I did this with my d. Until she was about 7 or 8 we were both ok with being naked. Then she got coy, and wanted more privacy, so I fitted her bedroom with a bolt, so she could know that she had privacy for undressing, and I then also started to lock the bathroom door myself. It was because she needed this; she set the boundaries, and I honoured them.

Your dad did not do this. What he did was not about your needs, but his. Therefore, it was not healthy, imo. Before you realised that you were naked, he decided that he was no longer going to look at you. The message this sends to a very young child is that her nakedness is totally unacceptable. In a sense, he cast you out of the Garden of Eden before you had eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. He did not allow you to discover your own nakedness; he communicated it to you far too early, and then your mother compounded the damage and reinforced his message.

You have, therefore, taken this shame on board, and you extrapolate from it to include every single other man, as if they are the same as your dad. The message your parents gave you is that the only way for you to be accepted, is for you never to be seen naked (incidentally, of course, the same message that Islam gives to its women). You are now living that message, and attempting to pass it on to other women as well. In theory you say your husband would be ok, but you do not have a husband, do you? I suspect that until you unravel this very deep shame, you will find it difficult to start a relationship of the kind you would like.

You even assume that because your dad could not handle seeing you naked without fear, that no doctor can either. This is all very understandable, but it is not about modesty. It is about your dad causing you emotional harm at a vulnerable moment, and that harm having an impact on your current life. You even come here and try to make other women fearful of their doctors as well.

Here is what is actually true. The vast majority of fathers DO NOT get aroused by the sight of their own naked daughters. And doctors DO NOT get aroused by the sight of patients.

Some random weirdos may abuse their daughters or patients, but some random weirdos also commit murder. Most men would not dream of doing either.

I am sure you will prefer to regard yourself as super pious, rather than emotionallly damaged; who wouldn't? Nonetheless, the fact remains, until you sort this issue out, your life is going to be unnecessarily constrained, and that is a real shame.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Good grief, no one has gone down this particular road! :o :o :o Although, when I see a good looking Shetland pony.....

^_^

^_^

It worries me that nobody else thought of the poor old cats and dogs ... and ponies.

Clearly, I am the only truly devout person here. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have, therefore, taken this shame on board, and you extrapolate from it to include every single other man, as if they are the same as your dad. The message your parents gave you is that the only way for you to be accepted, is for you never to be seen naked (incidentally, of course, the same message that Islam gives to its women). You are now living that message, and attempting to pass it on to other women as well. In theory you say your husband would be ok, but you do not have a husband, do you? I suspect that until you unravel this very deep shame, you will find it difficult to start a relationship of the kind you would like.

You even assume that because your dad could not handle seeing you naked without fear, that no doctor can either. This is all very understandable, but it is not about modesty. It is about your dad causing you emotional harm at a vulnerable moment, and that harm having an impact on your current life. You even come here and try to make other women fearful of their doctors as well.

Here is what is actually true. The vast majority of fathers DO NOT get aroused by the sight of their own naked daughters. And doctors DO NOT get aroused by the sight of patients.

Some random weirdos may abuse their daughters or patients, but some random weirdos also commit murder. Most men would not dream of doing either.

I am sure you will prefer to regard yourself as super pious, rather than emotionallly damaged; who wouldn't? Nonetheless, the fact remains, until you sort this issue out, your life is going to be unnecessarily constrained, and that is a real shame.

It's blatantly obvious that the OP has issues regarding her own life with her father. That is no reason to inflict her warped perspective on everybody else.

Have you ever heard the question, "What is worse than an alcoholic? An ex alcoholic". Why is an "ex" alcoholic worse than an alcoholic. Because an alcoholic doesn't generally go around pushing drinking onto others. An alcoholic generally drinks to excess without promoting alcoholism.

But an ex alcoholic tends to be obsessive about pushing their agenda onto others. The same with the OP. I'm sorry that this person has been raised with a skewed issue of sexaulity. But that is no reason to inflict their own skewed and distorted perspectives onto others.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Your extreme reactions would seem to stem from this one incident.

In an ideal world, young girls learn about their sexuality from their dads. Dad admires how beautiful they are, but at the same time he knows how to model safe boundaries; he may look, and he may even say something appreciative in an age appropriate way, but he will not touch or speak or look inappropriately. The girl then learns that respectful men will not cross boundaries; she learns that she is beautiful, even attractive, but that she owns her own body.

In the same ideal world, the child's body only becomes out of bounds in terms of being seen (nakedness, as when having a bath, for example) when the child decides it is appropriate for it to be, for both mum and dad. When mum and dad realise that the nudity which has not been a problem until then has become a problem, then they will meet that child's need for privacy.

I did this with my d. Until she was about 7 or 8 we were both ok with being naked. Then she got coy, and wanted more privacy, so I fitted her bedroom with a bolt, so she could know that she had privacy for undressing, and I then also started to lock the bathroom door myself. It was because she needed this; she set the boundaries, and I honoured them.

Your dad did not do this. What he did was not about your needs, but his. Therefore, it was not healthy, imo. Before you realised that you were naked, he decided that he was no longer going to look at you. The message this sends to a very young child is that her nakedness is totally unacceptable. In a sense, he cast you out of the Garden of Eden before you had eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. He did not allow you to discover your own nakedness; he communicated it to you far too early, and then your mother compounded the damage and reinforced his message.

While I agree with your general explanation, there are two issues I take problem with, both around blaming the father. While it may have been fully his fault, from the post I have read, there are two other explanations which may also hold. The first is that the father would have been like you pointed out, and would have had no problems, but was scared of societies reaction, and thus he over reacted to protect the family. While the emotional abuse would be the same, he may have been doing this in an attempt to protect his daughter and his family from ridicule. The second possible explanation is that he didn't even have a part in this choice, and this was something forced on him by his wife. It may have been the wife who laid down the law that the father could not ever see the daughter naked, it may have been her who feared that no man could control himself, even around his own little daughter, and thus instead of endangering the relationship with his wife, the father went along. He couldn't have exactly disagreed with his wife and said it was ok to him to see his daughter naked, because then the wife would not have only felt more justified, but would begin to suspect that the father was trying to see his daughter naked.

To reiterate, the emotional abuse may have not been caused by the father's selfishness, but may have resulted from the father's or mother's concern. Of course, regardless of what caused it, the effect is still the same.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
To reiterate, the emotional abuse may have not been caused by the father's selfishness, but may have resulted from the father's or mother's concern. Of course, regardless of what caused it, the effect is still the same.

It really makes very little difference. Those parents were meeting their own needs, at the cost of their daughter's emotional wellbeing. They stole her innocence from her.

Whatever way you cut that particular cake, it is going to remain highly unappetising.

Meanwhile, the reason I focussed on the father is that fathers play a much more important role in determining a daughter's sexual identity than the mother does. If the father gets it right, the chances are the daughter will be able to choose an appropriately caring partner later in life, and have a very happy relationship with him.

If the father does not get it right, chances are she won't.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
It's blatantly obvious that the OP has issues regarding her own life with her father. That is no reason to inflict her warped perspective on everybody else.

I suspect she will find out from this thread that there are worse things to expose for all the world to see than her Special Place. :)

Have you ever heard the question, "What is worse than an alcoholic? An ex alcoholic". Why is an "ex" alcoholic worse than an alcoholic. Because an alcoholic doesn't generally go around pushing drinking onto others. An alcoholic generally drinks to excess without promoting alcoholism.

I think I disagree with you on this one. I would happily put up with any recovering alcoholic preaching whatever he or she likes, in return for knowing they are in recovery. Definitely worth it.

Vegetarians I might grant you. They seem unable to just chew on those carrots of theirs without preaching to the rest of us about what happens inside abbatoirs. :)

But an ex alcoholic tends to be obsessive about pushing their agenda onto others. The same with the OP. I'm sorry that this person has been raised with a skewed issue of sexaulity. But that is no reason to inflict their own skewed and distorted perspectives onto others.

I am afraid we are all condemned to eternally inflict our own skewed and distorted perspectives upon one another, Bs. That is part of the human condition. :wave:

Upvote 0

KIYX

Jul 18, 2010
✟9,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've had men as my OB/GYN for the last 18 years and never once have I had any issues with them. A male doctor delivered each of my babies...and come to think of it, with each birth I had about 9 people in there watching (it was a teaching hospital), some of whom were male.

Didn't bother me a bit.

Then again I imagine in the middle of giving birth you have more concerns than who might by looking at your girlie bits.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.