Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
It's important to note that the definition of "private parts" or "those parts of your body only suited for your husband" changes a lot over the years, and differs from culture to culture.

Not so long ago, being able to see a woman's ankle would be considered "arousing" for men. And there you get the problem with the "if society considers X to be a private part, doctors shouldn't be able to see/touch it". Should doctors be banned from seeing ankles, if the "ankle-modesty" comes into favor again? As noted, in some countries even the face is considered too arousing - should male doctors in those countries just be banned from interacting with women at all? (afaik, they actually are, but I don't think it's a good development)

Now, I understand your points and have had thoughts to the same effect. In a previous thread we were talking about breast exams, and we actually had a doctor there admitting that he'll sometimes have an instant of arousal when he first sees a 21-year old's breasts (before professionally just going to do his job). And yes, for others, that may feel a bit.. "icky". The whole "doctors are immune to women's bodies" simply isn't true I think. They may come a bit more choosy, but the "finest" women will probably still get a reaction (the inappropriate content comparison is actually valid I think. For a 14 year old who just discovered the internet, everything is awesome. But when you've seen 14234 breasts, you probably develop a specific taste and go "meh" or "blegh" for the majority of naked women).

But the thing is... not every male doctor is going to be aroused by breasts/vaginae. I personally don't find a vagina sexy at all. Legs, faces, shoulders, hands. etc can all be sexier if you ask me. So if I were to become a doctor (which isn't going to happen btw ;)), should I be banned from interacting with those body parts, even if only one in a hundred of my patients legs would inspire any "impure" thoughts?

And then you have the fact that many women are (slightly) bisexual, and capable of having impure thoughts towards other woman. Should they be allowed to examine semi-naked women? What if a doctor who thought that she was straight, suddenly experiences the tiniest, most fleeting sign of arousal when some super model fully undresses before her? Should the doctor go and call all her patients with a "sorry, turns out I'm attracted to women in extremely rare cases, I can't be your doctor anymore"?

So yes, I'd conclude. It's just a fact that human bodies can be considered sexy. There are two ways to deal with it:

1. The Taliban route of completely hiding the body, in order to remove any potential source of impure thoughts. This makes doctor's visits quite difficult.

2. Just accepting that those impure thoughts sometimes exist, and that most of them will go away as you're exposed to more and more body parts.

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Years ago I heard a joke: "A male OB/Gyn is like an auto mechanic who has never owned a car." :D

All that aside:

My mother's "wonderful" doctor who treated me so horribly eventually was arrested: 36 other women came forward with similar stories of things he had done to them. Then - and ONLY then - did my mother believe me (no, I was not one of them...too chicken). He suffered a heart attack and died the day before he was to go to trial.

When I was pregnant with my first daughter I went to an "doctor office park" and asked that, if all humanly possible, I could have a female doctor. For almost every checkup I had a woman. When "the day" came...they gave me a male doctor who, due to a total lack of empathy, made the experience a mostly horrible one (he was also horrible to my husband).

I went to a different "dop" for my second. This "dop" was great. I gave them my entire medical and doctor history, and they were far more sensitive to it. If, for a checkup, they only had a male doctor available, they made sure to also have a (female) nurse accompany him for propriety. For "the day" I had a wonderful, almost grandmotherly and thoroughly professional woman doctor who made the experience far better.

I have more stories, but you get the general idea.

Now, I'm not saying that ALL male doctors are terrible, and certainly not all male OB/Gyns...I'm just saying that, due to my PERSONAL experience, I am going to stick to female OB/Gyns. I think I have that right.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
First of all let me say that I've had some really great female OB/Gyn. But the few times I've felt physical pain during a Gyn exam has been at the hands of a female OB/Gyn. I've been to several male OB/Gyn and none of them has ever make the experience painful. So now whenever I need to choice a new OB/Gyn I look more for a male doctor than a female one. They just seem more gentle than females. But this is just my own personal opinion.

I am so glad that I do not have the hang-ups of the OP. I would hate to go through life freaking out over a doctor seeing my girly bits.

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've always seen a woman. Regularly having a male OBGYN would make me uncomfortable. Otoh, I didn't have a problem with a male technician taking care of the sonogram done of my heart (around my breast), nor with male doctors in general.

Rachel

Upvote 0

Jade Margery

Stranger in a strange land
Oct 29, 2008
✟19,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personally I feel more comfortable with a female doctor, and have requested such. Other women may feel more comfortable with a male doctor, perhaps disliking the homosexual overtones of having another woman touch them or maybe (like Moonkitty) figuring out that the more accustomed a person is to vaginae, the more comfortable the exam will be, or for some completely different reason.

Now, a person can't help feeling arousal from time to time. It's a perfectly natural experience and can happen quite unexpectedly, even in 'modest' settings where the other person is fully clothed. Should we really all strictly police our own thoughts and live in constant paranoia that someone could be in 'lust' over us, or just enjoy the feeling or accept the complement and go on with our lives? So long as a doctor acts in a professional manner and does not abuse or take advantage of his or her patients, who cares what goes on in their heads (or their pants)? If the thought makes you that uncomfortable, then go with a female doctor, but male doctors aren't inherently immoral and there's no reason to say they shouldn't be allowed to do their jobs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I hope we're being consistent here and also claiming that women can't be appropriate urologists!

It's sad that this feeling about male OB/GYNs has persisted. It's actually affected schooling, and men do have a harder time getting an OB residency than women.

However, my mom's best friend is an ER PA, and the gross things she sees all day working "down there" would make any doctor completely desensitized to this sort of thing. Try removing a dirty condom from inside a 400 pound woman and see how turned on you get from doing Gyno exams (which this PA has had to do).

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does their pastor, counselor, plumber, etc. need to look at their vagina to do their job?

If you were in a traumatic injury, would you care much when the paramedics cut your shirt off to treat you? Medicine trumps modesty.

I think this sums it up pretty well. If my wife needs to see a doctor for something relating to her more feminine areas we'd both prefer she saw a female doctor, but we'd also both prefer she saw a male doctor than died of something that could be treated. Likewise I'd rather see a male doctor for anything relating to my manly bits but would rather see a female than die.

A woman I know is a trained medic, and for my normal social interactions with her I'm normally dressed. But if something happened to me and the only way to save me were to remove some or all of my clothing I'd rather she put aside any gender concerns and saved my life. I'd really prefer my female friend didn't see me naked but better that than death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.