Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't think there is a psychological difference in how men and women think or experience the world?
The male/female distinction comes first (at birth), the psychological differences come later.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You don't think there is a psychological difference in how men and women think or experience the world? Different societal expectations on each gender will inevitably force us to behave differently in similar situations. I think the fundamental differences between men and woman go much deeper than just the obvious anatomical differences.

I wouldn't say either one is better than the other but we definitely are different.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Care to specify exactly what in the design among the sexes you consider incompetent, brain dead and cruel.

Sure. There are a lot. But just for starters -

Women are "designed" to give birth through their vagina. Being that humans have large brains and the vagina goes through the pelvic girdle, which isn't big enough for a good sized brain, this is a stupid design. Even more stupid are the "fixes" put in place - make females less able to walk by having a bigger pelvic opening, babies born prematurely, etc. A non-stupid design would be to simply have a "C-section" opening in the belly for birth. Bipedalism, birth and brain evolution | Mo Costandi

Next - women are "designed" to have added fat under the breasts, to make the breasts look more developed. Men are "designed" to lust for larger breasts so as to ensure maturity. Why would a God simulataneously design this system of lust and then condemn lust? Why Do Women Have Breasts?

Third - Men are "designed" to have frequent sex with multiple partners. We can see this by ball size. By contrast, gorillas are completely free of vaginal sperm competition - where women have sex often enough with different partners for sperm from different males to be present at the same time - and hence, they have testicles the size of beans. Larger testicles are only useful if one is having sex with women who have recently had sex with other males. Only an insane, incompetent, or cruel God would design men for adultery and the condemn adultery. http://www.sapiens.org/blog/animalia/sperm-competition-ball-size/

All of these problems and more are solved by theistic evolution. By freeing God from the idea of micromanaging the many designs, we theistic evolution supports no longer have to blame God for the many evil, incompetent, or cruel designs in the real world.

Also what does the following have to do with it?
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of eternal sin."

The holy spirit is part of the Godhead, as per the trinity. If one is a supporter of the idea of the trinity, then blaspheming the designer is blaspheming the holy spirit. Denying evolution blames the designer for the many stupid, incompetent or cruel designed that biologists agree are clear in the real world. Thus, the only escape from the Gospel command to not blaspheme God is to support theistic evolution.

In Christ -

Papias

Reactions: Queller
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well evidenced to atheists!

Well evidenced to all biologists except the odd maverick like Dean Kenyon. Even Michael Behe accepts evolution, for heaven's sake. He just thinks that God must have intervened along the way.

As for the Catholic Church, Catholics are free to either accept evolution or to believe Genesis 1 to be literally true. The overwhelming majority of Catholics, and all recent popes, fall into the former camp.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Even in the Anglican Church, where women can be priests, nuns outnumber monks by four or five to one. It is difficult to see how that can be accounted for, except on the basis of a psychological difference between the sexes.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Even in the Anglican Church, where women can be priests, nuns outnumber monks by four or five to one. It is difficult to see how that can be accounted for, except on the basis of a psychological difference between the sexes.

The articles indicate that the debate continues on the relative influences of physical and environmental causes for differences. I wonder to what extent confirmation bias plays a role in these studies (on both sides).

The articles dance around identifying any specific differences. They tend to speak in generalities or to indicate they are studying the perceived differences of their sample population, not demonstrable differences.

That is one aspect of this issue that fascinates me. Everyone agrees there are differences, but when it comes time to articulate what those are, people get shy. I can't imagine why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The articles indicate that the debate continues on the relative influences of physical and environmental causes for differences. I wonder to what extent confirmation bias plays a role in these studies (on both sides).

The articles dance around identifying any specific differences. They tend to speak in generalities or to indicate they are studying the perceived differences of their sample population, not demonstrable differences.

That is one aspect of this issue that fascinates me. Everyone agrees there are differences, but when it comes time to articulate what those are, people get shy. I can't imagine why.
IMO, differences are heavily driven by the environment one is exposed to and the natural mormone differences in males and females, which impacts the brain. Not much difference in physical structure of male and female brains, but there are large differences in how the wiring develops, which is influenced by environment.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

There are many clear, demonstrable, and accepted differences. This article outlines many of them. Plus, evolution explains how many of them evolved, and why they are so deeply ingrained in humans today.

Sex Differences in Mate Preferences, Jealousy, and Aggression

-Papias

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not much difference in physical structure of male and female brains ...

Does that mean there are some differences? What would they be?

... and the natural [h]ormone differences in males and females ...

Do these chemical differences affect how the brain develops (is wired)?

With respect to your comments on environment, are you merely making a definitional distinction, or is there a tacit philosophical implication? For example, in a machine I will often refer to hardware and software systems. Those are merely definitional distinctions as both behave deterministically (or at least we hope they will). When I refer to the environment, I am often implying stochastic (non-deterministic) qualities. For the purposes of this discussion, I don't see much point in referring to the environment unless males/females are assumed to have an ability to choose - a free will. If not, it is merely a potato/puhtatoe discussion regarding what determines their differences.

There are many clear, demonstrable, and accepted differences. This article outlines many of them.

Would you mind using the information you cited to comment on leadership in contemporary males & females?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sure. There are a lot. But just for starters -

Women are "designed" to give birth through their vagina. Being that humans have large brains and the vagina goes through the pelvic girdle, which isn't big enough for a good sized brain, this is a stupid design. Even more stupid are the "fixes" put in place - make females less able to walk by having a bigger pelvic opening, babies born prematurely, etc. A non-stupid design would be to simply have a "C-section" opening in the belly for birth. Bipedalism, birth and brain evolution | Mo Costandi
Alternative solution: have humans designed to be quadrupeds and give two extra limbs to serve as arms and hands. The ability to carry and use tools, with the better spine support and potential to expand the hips for an easier birth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
So the Pope and all other Catholics are theistic evolutionists and see absolutely no conflict between evolution and the Bible? Weird! I was recently taking classes at a Catholic Church and the Bible was being put forth as the Word of God. How do they fit Genesis in with the evolution idea?
That it is allegorical, not literal.

You can't have it both ways. How do they fit all that into the evolution scheme? The are claiming that Jesus descended from animals?
No, they don't claim that.

They are also saying that Jesus was deluded because he believed the creation account? LOL!
No, Jesus knew how His audience viewed early history and spoke to them in those terms.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does that mean there are some differences? What would they be?

Do these chemical differences affect how the brain develops (is wired)?

With respect to your comments on environment, are you merely making a definitional distinction, or is there a tacit philosophical implication? For example, in a machine I will often refer to hardware and software systems. Those are merely definitional distinctions as both behave deterministically (or at least we hope they will). When I refer to the environment, I am often implying stochastic (non-deterministic) qualities. For the purposes of this discussion, I don't see much point in referring to the environment unless males/females are assumed to have an ability to choose - a free will. If not, it is merely a potato/puhtatoe discussion regarding what determines their differences.

Would you mind using the information you cited to comment on leadership in contemporary males & females?
The male brain isbapprox 10% larger than a female brain, with no relation to increased intelligence. Both female and male brains, have slightly more grey matter in different sections, with no indication this has anybsignificant impact. Regarding wiring of the brain, neuro scientists believe, environmental exposure impacts which parts of the brain fire and when repeated exposure occurs, these pathways become very developed in people. Also, hormones impact on the brain fires and emotions, which also enhance different circuits being developed because of the same.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I'd be happy to, except that I didn't see anything that directly applied to leadership. What part were you thinking of?

Papias

Upvote 0