Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read something that says Lutherans believe that God created male and female, acknowledging one can have gender dysphoria (sp). What about those born with both male and female parts? Does the LCMS agree that this happens?

Please provide the stats on how common this is.
How ma times does this happen per 1000 births?

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Grossly overestimated. This includes conditions doctors do not consider "intersex" conditions.

How common is intersex? a response to Anne Fausto-Sterling. - PubMed - NCBI

Anne Fausto‐Sterling's suggestion that the prevalence of intersex might be as high as 1.7% has attracted wide attention in both the scholarly press and the popular media. Many reviewers are not aware that this figure includes conditions which most clinicians do not recognize as intersex, such as Klinefelter syndrome, Turner syndrome, and late‐onset adrenal hyper‐plasia. If the term intersex is to retain any meaning, the term should be restricted to those conditions in which chromosomal sex is inconsistent with phenotypic sex, or in which the phenotype is not classifiable as either male or female. Applying this more precise definition, the true prevalence of intersex is seen to be about 0.018%, almost 100 times lower than Fausto‐Sterling's estimate of 1.7%.

This is Kinsian to the core. Hyperinflate the number and repeat the lie. If that number were true you and I both would know multiple people suffering from this disorder.

The question is how does the LCMS treat true intersex people? Read this. Please note this take you to download a pdf file.

https://www.lcms.org/docs/3012

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It really doesn’t matter how frequently it occurs. The question is this: does the LCMS acknowledge it happens, and what do they have to say about it?
Ok, I read the small section of the article regarding this, but it doesn’t say much. But at least it acknowledges that this does occur.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So not very common, and certainly not something common enough to make policy upon.

Large school with 3k pupils will have 3 or 4 children with his problem.
Yeah, so what does the LCMS have to say about it, though? Remain celibate? Surgery? What? And when they say that God only made male and female, isn’t that incorrect?

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, so what does the LCMS have to say about it, though? Remain celibate? Surgery? What? And when they say that God only made male and female, isn’t that incorrect?

I think the reference is probably based on Genesis 5:2, and it doesn't say "only". It's simply a reference to God's perfect creation before the Fall.

As to what to do after the Fall, cases like this are best handled in personal counseling rather than as part of some church wide dogmatic decision. The LCMS position is that God's intention for sex was that it only occur within marriage, and that marriage be only between one man and one woman. That sin has made the ideal desire very complex is a no brainer.

Upvote 0

TKA_TN

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This was done in 2014 and I know a lot has changed in just 6 years on the subject, but here is something from the LCMS Commission on Theology and Church Relations: https://www.lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src=lcm&id=3012

Kind of an overarching study, but does mention intersex.

• Useful
Reactions: J_B_
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums