Making The Sign of The Cross (Videos and Early Church Father / Writer Quotes)

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(Long Read)

In my personal opinion I think even Protestant and Evangelical Christians should make The Sign of The Cross.

I posted this in The Eastern Orthodox Section but I think it will help other Christians also:

• Theodoret (393-457 A.D.) gave the following instruction:

This is how to bless someone with your hand and Make The Sign Of The Cross over them. Hold three fingers, as equals, together, to represent the Holy Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. These are not three gods, but one God in Trinity. The names are separate, but the Divinity one. The Father was never incarnate; the Son incarnate, but not created; the Holy Spirit neither incarnate nor created, but issued from the Godhead: three in a single Divinity. Divinity is one force and has one honor. They receive on obeisance from all creation, both Angels and people. Thus the decree for these three fingers. You should hold the other fingers slightly bent, not completely straight. This is because these represent the dual nature of Christ, Divineand human. God in His Divinity, and human in His incarnation, yet perfect in both. The upper finger represents Divinity, and the lower humanity; this way salvation goes from the higher finger to the lower. So is the bending of the fingers interpreted, for the worship of Heaven comes for our salvation. This is how you must cross yourselves and give a blessing, as the Holy Fathers have commanded.

The Sign of the Cross

Here is a story about when Cyprian (The Sorcerer) was trying to get Saint Justina (304 A.D.) to fall in love with Aglaias using demons and sorcery but Justina used The Sign of the Cross, prayer and fasting to have victory from God against them :

The Lives of Sts. Cyprian and Justina

Cyprian called Aglaias and sent him to sprinkle the house of Justina secretly with the contents of the demon's vessel. When this had been done, the demon of fornication entered the house with the flaming arrows of fleshly lust in order to wound the heart of the maiden with fornication, and to ignite her flesh with impure lust.

Justina had the custom every night to offer up prayers to the Lord. And behold, when, according to custom, she arose at the third hour of the night and was praying to God, she suddenly felt an agitation in her body, a storm of bodily lust and the flame of the fire of gehenna. In such agitation and inward battle she remained for quite a long time; the youth Aglaias came to her mind, and shameful thoughts arose in her. The maiden marveled and was ashamed of herself, feeling that her blood was boiling as in a kettle; now she thought about that which she had always despised as vile. But in her good sense Justina understood that this battle had arisen in her from the devil; immediately she turned to The Weapon Of The Sign Of The Cross, hastened to God with fervent prayer, and from the depths of her heart cried out to Christ her Bridegroom: "O Lord, my God, Jesus Christ! Behold how many enemies have risen up against me and have prepared a net in order to catch me and take away my soul. But I have remembered Thy name in the night and have rejoiced, and now when they are close about me I hasten to Thee and have hope that my enemy will not triumph over me. For thou knowest, O Lord my God, that I, Thy slave, have preserved for Thee the purity of my body and have entrusted my soul to Thee. Preserve Thy sheep, O good Shepherd; do not give it over to be eaten by the beast who seeks to devour me; grant me victory over the evil desire of my flesh."

Having prayed long and fervently, the holy virgin put the enemy to shame. Being conquered by her prayer, he fled from her with shame, and again there came a calm in Justina's body and heart; the flame of desire was quenched, the battle ceased, the boiling blood was stilled. Justina glorified God and sang a song of victory.

The demon, on the other hand, returned to Cyprian with the sad news that he had accomplished nothing. Cyprian asked him why he had not been able to conquer the maiden. The demon, even against his will, revealed the truth: "I Could Not Conquer Her Because I Saw On Her A Certain Sign Of Which I Was Afraid."

1002justina03.jpg

Tertullian (160-220 A.D.) described the commonness of the sign of the cross:

“In all our travels and movements, in all our coming in and going out, in putting on our shoes, at the bath, at the table, in lighting our candles, in lying down, in sitting down, whatever employment occupies us, we mark our foreheads with the sign ” (De corona, Chapter 3).

CHURCH FATHERS: De Corona (Tertullian)

220px-Tertullian.jpg

St. Cyril of Jerusalem (313-386 A.D.) in his Catechetical Lectures stated :

“Let us then not be ashamed to confess the Crucified. Be the cross our seal, made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in everything; over the bread we eat and the cups we drink, in our comings and in our goings out; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are traveling, and when we are at rest”(Catecheses, 13).

CHURCH FATHERS: Catechetical Lecture 13 (Cyril of Jerusalem)

st-cyril-of-jerusalem.png

Last edited:

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Athanasius of Alexandria (269-373 A.D.)

"By the signing of the holy and life-giving cross, devils and various scourges are driven away. For it is without price and without cost and praises him who can say it. The holy fathers have, by their words, transmitted to us, and even to the unbelieving heretics, how the two raised fingers and the single hand reveal Christ our God in His dual nature but single substance. The right hand proclaims His immeasurable strength, His sitting on the right hand of the Father, and His coming down unto us from Heaven. Again, by the movement of the hands to our right the enemies of God will be driven out, as the Lord triumphs over the Devil with His inconquerable power, rendering him dismal and weak."

• Athanasius of Alexandria (296-373 A.D.)
(On The Incarnation Of The Word - 31)

"By The Sign Of The Cross all magic is stopped, and all witchcraft Brought To Nothing, and all the idols are being deserted and left, and every unruly pleasure is checked, and every one is looking up from earth to heaven."

CHURCH FATHERS: On the Incarnation of the Word (Athanasius)

Sign of the Cross - OrthodoxWiki

Ikone_Athanasius_von_Alexandria.jpg

The Sign of the Cross

We should make the sign of the Cross:

1. Both upon entering the House of God and upon leaving it.
  2. Every time the words, "The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit," are mentioned.
  3. When we hear or say the Trisagion, "Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us" (Agios o Theos...").
  4. When we hear the name of the All-Holy Mother of God (Theotokos), the Ever-Virgin Mary and the names of the Saints.
  5. Before and after receiving the Mysterion (Sacrament) of Holy Communion.
  6. At the end of the recitation of the Creed (Symbol of faith) and the Lord's Prayer.
  7. After the reading of the Holy Gospel Lesson.
  8. When we venerate (kiss) a holy icon, a cross or the Evaggelion (Holy Gospel Book).
  9. Before and following our daily prayers (evening, morning, etc.
  10. Before and after each meal.
  11. When passing by an Orthodox church.
  12. Before we leave or drive away from our home or work. Generally before we travel anywhere. When we are tempted from demons during the day or at sleep.

Preferably, we should make the sign of the cross three times. The three times symbolize God the Holy Trinity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is the need to? It seems a little superstitious.

Protection etc. It was apart of The Early Church and was written about by The Early Church Fathers and
Early Church Writers.

It's A Holy Mystery.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
(Long Read)

In my personal opinion I think even Protestant and Evangelical Christians should make The Sign of The Cross.

I posted this in The Eastern Orthodox Section but I think it will help other Christians also:

• Theodoret (393-457 A.D.) gave the following instruction:

This is how to bless someone with your hand and Make The Sign Of The Cross over them. Hold three fingers, as equals, together, to represent the Holy Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. These are not three gods, but one God in Trinity. The names are separate, but the Divinity one. The Father was never incarnate; the Son incarnate, but not created; the Holy Spirit neither incarnate nor created, but issued from the Godhead: three in a single Divinity. Divinity is one force and has one honor. They receive on obeisance from all creation, both Angels and people. Thus the decree for these three fingers. You should hold the other fingers slightly bent, not completely straight. This is because these represent the dual nature of Christ, Divineand human. God in His Divinity, and human in His incarnation, yet perfect in both. The upper finger represents Divinity, and the lower humanity; this way salvation goes from the higher finger to the lower. So is the bending of the fingers interpreted, for the worship of Heaven comes for our salvation. This is how you must cross yourselves and give a blessing, as the Holy Fathers have commanded.

The Sign of the Cross

Here is a story about when Cyprian (The Sorcerer) was trying to get Saint Justina (304 A.D.) to fall in love with Aglaias using demons and sorcery but Justina used The Sign of the Cross, prayer and fasting to have victory from God against them :

The Lives of Sts. Cyprian and Justina

Cyprian called Aglaias and sent him to sprinkle the house of Justina secretly with the contents of the demon's vessel. When this had been done, the demon of fornication entered the house with the flaming arrows of fleshly lust in order to wound the heart of the maiden with fornication, and to ignite her flesh with impure lust.

Justina had the custom every night to offer up prayers to the Lord. And behold, when, according to custom, she arose at the third hour of the night and was praying to God, she suddenly felt an agitation in her body, a storm of bodily lust and the flame of the fire of gehenna. In such agitation and inward battle she remained for quite a long time; the youth Aglaias came to her mind, and shameful thoughts arose in her. The maiden marveled and was ashamed of herself, feeling that her blood was boiling as in a kettle; now she thought about that which she had always despised as vile. But in her good sense Justina understood that this battle had arisen in her from the devil; immediately she turned to The Weapon Of The Sign Of The Cross, hastened to God with fervent prayer, and from the depths of her heart cried out to Christ her Bridegroom: "O Lord, my God, Jesus Christ! Behold how many enemies have risen up against me and have prepared a net in order to catch me and take away my soul. But I have remembered Thy name in the night and have rejoiced, and now when they are close about me I hasten to Thee and have hope that my enemy will not triumph over me. For thou knowest, O Lord my God, that I, Thy slave, have preserved for Thee the purity of my body and have entrusted my soul to Thee. Preserve Thy sheep, O good Shepherd; do not give it over to be eaten by the beast who seeks to devour me; grant me victory over the evil desire of my flesh."

Having prayed long and fervently, the holy virgin put the enemy to shame. Being conquered by her prayer, he fled from her with shame, and again there came a calm in Justina's body and heart; the flame of desire was quenched, the battle ceased, the boiling blood was stilled. Justina glorified God and sang a song of victory.

The demon, on the other hand, returned to Cyprian with the sad news that he had accomplished nothing. Cyprian asked him why he had not been able to conquer the maiden. The demon, even against his will, revealed the truth: "I Could Not Conquer Her Because I Saw On Her A Certain Sign Of Which I Was Afraid."

1002justina03.jpg

Tertullian (160-220 A.D.) described the commonness of the sign of the cross:

“In all our travels and movements, in all our coming in and going out, in putting on our shoes, at the bath, at the table, in lighting our candles, in lying down, in sitting down, whatever employment occupies us, we mark our foreheads with the sign of the cross” (De corona, 30).

CHURCH FATHERS: De Corona (Tertullian)

220px-Tertullian.jpg

St. Cyril of Jerusalem (313-386 A.D.) in his Catechetical Lectures stated :

“Let us then not be ashamed to confess the Crucified. Be the cross our seal, made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in everything; over the bread we eat and the cups we drink, in our comings and in our goings out; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are traveling, and when we are at rest”(Catecheses, 13).

CHURCH FATHERS: Catechetical Lecture 13 (Cyril of Jerusalem)

st-cyril-of-jerusalem.png
Protestants and Evangelicals in Russia do make the sign of the Cross.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why can't we just pray without making the sign of the cross? What is the need?
Why do we have to pray at all? I mean, what's the need? God knows what's in our hearts, right?

Srsly tho, of all the things Protestants object to with traditional Christianity, their hostility to this ancient prayer has always been mystifying.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do we have to pray at all? I mean, what's the need? God knows what's in our hearts, right?

1. God commands it.
2. God uses our prayers as instruments of his sovereign purpose.
3. It is a form of worship and a means to commune with God.
4. It is a means of grace for the growth of our faith.

Srsly tho, of all the things Protestants object to with traditional Christianity, their hostility to this ancient practice has always been mystifying.

Many of us object to it because we don't see a reason for it. It seems to be based on a superstitious belief that it will do something, or help something work. God doesn't need us to do that...

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Why can't we just pray without making the sign of the cross? What is the need?

I make the sign of the cross as a way of remembering my baptism.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1. God commands it.
2. God uses our prayers as instruments of his sovereign purpose.
3. It is a form of worship and a mean to commune with God.

Many of us object to it because we don't see a reason for it. It seems to be based on a superstitious belief that it will do something, or help something work. God doesn't need us to do that...
What is the purpose of the Sign of the Cross? Can you explain it to me without searching for an answer right now?

• Prayers
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the purpose of the Sign of the Cross? Can you explain it to me without searching for an answer right now?

Your friend has posted a thread about it. Have you read #2?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your friend has posted a thread about it. Have you read #2?
Ah! So you have read all these posts then.

Why then do you ask what the purpose of this prayer is?

Take as much time as you need.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the need to? It seems superstitious (especially in light of your last post).
People just naturally like rituals then in religions those rituals begin with or take on a meaning.

Years and years ago when we were a young couple we would travel to my in-laws home in another state. When it was time to leave my father-in-law would have us kneel before him and he would pray for us to have a safe journey home and make the sign of the cross over us. There was something very comforting about the whole thing, not just the prayer but the sign as well. It was like the completion of the blessing rather like the Amen at the end of prayer.
I'm no longer Catholic but I still get that same comfort from making the sign of our Lord's cross.

Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't make the sign of the Cross anymore, and I have to admit that it feels....rude? to just kneel down and pray without entrusting myself to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit first (which is what I was always taught the sign of the Cross does). Kind of like if you were to call someone and just start talking without saying "Hello" or "how are you" or anything.
I don't think it is in itself superstitious. I do think, especially once you get into indulgences or promises supposedly made to saints about the sign of the Cross, you do start going in to the superstitious category, and there seems to be a great deal of that, which is why I don't make it anymore.

Upvote 0