✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
**sigh**

Well, after some pretty good weeks this year, I finally managed to mess up BIG TIME.

I was going into my local Safeway for some groceries. When I parked the car, I saw a woman approaching my car. I know her. She often prowls the parking lot begging money. She walked by my car and gave me a long look, probably because she hit me up about a month ago. I sat in the car, waited till she passed on, then got out and started for the store.

I think I heard her calling "Sir....sir" but I kept right on going.

I'll go to Confession tomorrow and deal with this, but I am kind of stunned and saddened at my reaction. Usually I give anytime I am asked. Is there such a thing as "charitable burnout?"

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There's also social burnout that can manifest this way. The other day I thought someone wanted money but they really just wanted directions. I was disappointed and irritated because I could have done the money with less talk. I wasn't resentful when I was reaching for the money but I was once I realized I had to talk. Still not a good attitude.

Upvote 0

PittBullMom

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2017
USA
✟86,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If somebody's life is so low they gotta beg in a parking lot for life....just give to them. That is what their whole life has become. Don't even worry about how it is spent. It is still a sad life. We have many things to be grateful for.

• Winner
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well just know you aren't alone in messing up Lent.

Though I spoke with my SF and apparently there are more ways of looking at how we spend our time than what our intentions may suggest.

But it certainly isn't going how I envisioned it.

If nothing else, we can have a new start anytime. If nothing else we can keep trying. And after all, it's the struggle we tend to benefit from, more than the perfection. At least that's been my experience.

But I'm disappointed with myself atm too. Fwiw. (ETA: Ha, that actually implies a little frustrated pride as well ... ;) )

Prayers for you. And if you can spare a quick one back, I would appreciate it. There's another opportunity for charity. :)

Upvote 0