Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
NOTE: *** You are in the EGALITARIAN CHRISTIANS forum. Please read the group's Statement of Purpose before deciding to argue or debate. ***

I came across this article earlier today when reading some newsletters that have been sitting around in my email inbox and thought it may be of interest here.

I also wish to ask that any discussion in this thread not degenerate into arguments about abortion or making this thread primarily about abortion since it would likely drown out the overall message of the article, which I personally believe to be of great concern to the welfare of both women and men in church and society.

Anyway, the article:

Make Women Slaves Again

Women’s emancipation is emancipation from de facto domestic slavery. This is why the Right resents feminism. They resent if in the same way that the Confederates resented the closing of the plantations.

All of the fancy argumentation, the claims that women are really happiest when they are serving, the exaltation of the holy self-sacrificing mother, the endlessly convoluted “proofs” that contraception is evil, they are all meant to keep us from noticing this simple, basic fact. They want us to be their slaves. To cook their meals. To do their laundry. To provide them with heirs. To fill their pews. To populate their workforce. And they want us to do it for free. While they lord it over us.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow! That was a powerful denunciation of patriarchy! The age old institution of patriarchy is probably the most pernicious evil that mankind has ever inflicted oh itself.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wow! That was a powerful denunciation of patriarchy! The age old institution of patriarchy is probably the most pernicious evil that mankind has ever inflicted oh itself.

How is patriarchy the most pernicious evil?

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

First, it is the insult to the women themselves by viewing them as less worthy. Second, it is the insult to God by denigrating half of God’s creation. If we continue to treat women in this way, then the human race is condemned to stand on one foot, see with one eye, hear with one ear and think with one half the human mind ---- and it shows.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
First, it is the insult to the women themselves by viewing them as less worthy. Second, it is the insult to God by denigrating half of God’s creation. If we continue to treat women in this way, then the human race is condemned to stand on one foot, see with one eye, hear with one ear and think with one half the human mind ---- and it shows.
How does patriarchy consider women less worthy?

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Make Women Slaves Again

I hate headlines like that. Slavery was abolished and replaced with corporations where no one is accountable anymore. Who is they who make all that happen anyway? Propaganda with reverse effects from what is sought I would think.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
How does patriarchy consider women less worthy?

By treating them as less than worthy. Society is gradually, very gradually, stepping hesitantly away from patriarchy but at this rate it might be generations yet before it is buried. This is particularly true in religious institutions.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
By treating them as less than worthy. Society is gradually, very gradually, stepping hesitantly away from patriarchy but at this rate it might be generations yet before it is buried. This is particularly true in religious institutions.
How do patriarchies treat women as less worthy?

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is why the Right resents feminism...They want us to be their slaves. To cook their meals. To do their laundry. To provide them with heirs. To fill their pews. To populate their workforce. And they want us to do it for free. While they lord it over us.

As a member of the right, let me disillusion you. None of us wants the person who would write this to be our slave, cook our meals or do our laundry. In fact, we do not want her at all. Service not done in love is not worth having. Good day.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do patriarchies treat women as less worthy?

I am astonished that you have to ask. Women are the equal of men intellectually, spiritually and in every other respect except physical size and strength. Question me again when your church has female priests and bishops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because it allows human men to act just like male chimpanzees. Ironically the churches who want women to be inferior are the ones whose men act the most like chimps and they also tend to pretend evolution isn’t true
I am astonished that you have to ask. Women are the equal of men in intellectually, spiritually and in every other respect except physical size and strength. Question me again when your church has female priests and bishops.
my church had a female archbishop back in the 70s

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really don’t know what to say. The article was powerful and dead on the money. Not that I agree with every point, but that is beside the point.

On the point about sex, I think traditional Christianity and western society have totally missed the boat. I noticed the author misquoted the scripture in point 3. “Wives do not refuse your husbands” is NOT what is said. The actual text of 1 Cor 7.5 is “stop depriving one another.” But i understand that is how the church has traditionally read it. But just previous to that it says “the husband does not have authority over his own body but the wife does.” YEs it says it the other way too, but only after saying it this way. And that fits very well with the Jewish understanding (Paul was a Jew as were many of the leaders of the Corinthian congregation) that “sex is a wife’s right and a husband’s responsibility.” And NOT the other way around. Instead of wives being the sex slaves of their husbands, husbands were the sex slaves of their wives. That was even written down in the marriage contracts extant from the first century. THey all spelled out how often the husband was required to give his wife satisfaction. If the husband was not employed in a physically demanding job, it was daily.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get the point of the article. I don't think it is that well written - to me it is filled with straw men and takes a very minority position and ascribes it to a much larger conservative demographic. In doing so it misses the much more subtle ways that people become entrapped into thinking they view and treat women as equal before God when they really fail to do so.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Only a society that got into a very high level of easy daily life can pretend and play that women and men are equal in everything. Or invent 100 sexual genders and similar boredom games.

When such state ends (and it always does), this illusion quickly disappears.

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only a society that got into a very high level of easy daily life can pretend and play that women and men are equal in everything. Or invent 100 sexual genders and similar boredom games.

When such state ends (and it always does), this illusion quickly disappears.
Or when the word of God in it’s reality is ‘bull'-dozed (I suppose that’s what you meant)

edit to add: I don’t think anyone is counting that as a safe bet anymore. Easier to just move with the flow (no pun intended) but I really think the subject matter has changed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The thing is that you can’t have the son without the father and you can’t have the father without considering He made them in His image, male and female, from the beginning.

The Father is what counts.
The 3 persons of the Trinity are co-equal. One is no more important than the other.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The 3 persons of the Trinity are co-equal. One is no more important than the other.

And yet none of the 3 are labeled as female. The Father and Son are male, and the Spirit is neutral.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
And yet none of the 3 are labeled as female. The Father and Son are male, and the Spirit is neutral.

They are not male or female (with the sole exception of Jesus in his incarnate state.) They are God.

Upvote 0