United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

A new study shows that the percentage of Catholics in the United States has fallen from nearly one-in-four to one-in-five, with the added news that Hispanics in America are no longer majority-Catholic.

The Pew Research Center survey released October 17 noted that in general, religious practice in the country had declined at a "rapid pace."

Continued below.
Majority of Hispanics in U.S. no longer Catholic, new study finds

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A truly startling statistic that 40% of the young people have no religion. If this trend continues, then the U.S. may eventually get to where Western Europe is today.
I wouldn't say religion is decreasing in Europe since Muslim immigrants might have more children than atheist natives.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But why is it happening? What is going on?
Several reasons:
1) They disagree with social teachings of the Catholic/Evangelical Church (abortion/homosexuality/sex outside marriage).
2) They believe the Church "slaves" people (because of social teachings).
3) They believe somehow being an atheist means you are more intellectual/intelligent than religious people.
4) They have been influenced by American SJW culture.
5) They are poorly educated with Christian ideas and don't meditate on their faith a lot.

It might my idea but the behavior of religious people can be a reasoning. Ecuador is 90% religious yet society is a disaster:
-Dirty streets.
-Lots of corruption in all levels.
-Corporations abuse and explode their personnel.
-Teachers don't care about teaching well.
-Fathers don't care about their children education.
-Getting drunk, high on streets and in front of family members and children.
-Promoting of sexualized culture (reggeton music).
- "Christian" sellers trying to sell you food on illegal prices.
- An ideal of "the cunniest and the one who cheats the most" is the winner.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,152.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it was Dietrich Bonhoeffer who coined the term "secular Christianity", or at least popularised it in one of his "Letters from Prison", while he was awaiting execution for involvement in a plot against Adolf Hitler.

God in the center: Bonhoeffer on our religionless culture

He was in prison, in a country under siege by the US and British bombing fleets (he often heard the bombers arriving), the Russians in the East, and the Allies in the West. Death was so common that apparently hardly anyone feared it any more. And of course what might be called organised religion in Germany had almost fallen by the wayside.

At the same time Mankind had become increasingly self confident. Planes were flying hundreds of miles to drop tonnes of bombs, the atomic bomb and nuclear power were just around the corner, V-2's and V-1's were still hitting London from time to time, antibiotics had been invented and had saved a lot of lives, the jet engine had arrived and the computer had been invented.

In another 25 years, Mankind would land on the moon, a quarter of a century after the most destructive war in history.

Fast forward another 50 years, and Mankind is even more confident. There might be setbacks, but the show goes on on. As a consequence a lot of our young people think they can live without God. Add the contraceptive pill (and incidentally I think it should have been approved for married couples as recommended by two committees set up and enlarged by two Popes), and the sexual revolution, and it is very easy to ignore the church's teaching on contraception and sexual ethics.

In my own peculiar world view, I think God intends to drive us off the planet, and I think the incredibly accelerated development of technology points towards this looming scenario. If so, the idea of churches and cathedrals (and mosques and synagogues) will probably become a thing of the past, as it will be difficult enough just to survive in a very unfriendly environment, leaving little capital left over for extraneous purposes.

What will "religion" mean then?

Which pushes us right back to what Bonhoeffer was trying to say about "religion-less Christianity', where God is at the centre of life, and not at the periphery, not a deux-ex-machina when we have reached the end of our tether, and we fall back on Him in desperation as our sole way of deliverance. The writer of the linked article used HG Wells "War of the Worlds" as an example of a "deux-ex-machina" where Wells pulls in a bacterial infection as the reason for the Martians eventual defeat. Very handy, and it arrived just in time. But how often does God act like that?

Bonhoeffer could see it coming. I don't think he had the answer to it, and was executed before he could continue. But at least he alerted us to be aware of it, and to start doing some serious thinking about "religionless Christianity". Because it's coming, and it won't be much point complaining we weren't warned. The writing is on the wall.

The hiatus before the storm hits is all over the West.

Last edited:
Upvote 0