Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Washington Post - A Majority Of The People Arrested For Capitol Riot Had A History Of Financial Trouble.
  • "Nearly 60 percent of the people facing charges related to the Capitol riot showed signs of prior money troubles, including bankruptcies, notices of eviction or foreclosure, bad debts, or unpaid taxes over the past two decades, according to a Washington Post analysis of public records for 125 defendants with sufficient information to detail their financial histories."
  • "The group’s bankruptcy rate — 18 percent — was nearly twice as high as that of the American public, The Post found. A quarter of them had been sued for money owed to a creditor. And 1 in 5 of them faced losing their home at one point, according to court filings."
  • "The financial problems are revealing because they offer potential clues for understanding why so many Trump supporters — many with professional careers and few with violent criminal histories — were willing to participate in an attack egged on by the president’s rhetoric painting him and his supporters as undeserving victims."

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Washington Post - A Majority Of The People Arrested For Capitol Riot Had A History Of Financial Trouble.
  • "Nearly 60 percent of the people facing charges related to the Capitol riot showed signs of prior money troubles, including bankruptcies, notices of eviction or foreclosure, bad debts, or unpaid taxes over the past two decades, according to a Washington Post analysis of public records for 125 defendants with sufficient information to detail their financial histories."
  • "The group’s bankruptcy rate — 18 percent — was nearly twice as high as that of the American public, The Post found. A quarter of them had been sued for money owed to a creditor. And 1 in 5 of them faced losing their home at one point, according to court filings."
  • "The financial problems are revealing because they offer potential clues for understanding why so many Trump supporters — many with professional careers and few with violent criminal histories — were willing to participate in an attack egged on by the president’s rhetoric painting him and his supporters as undeserving victims."

Actually, the logic is twisted a bit there.
People in financial trouble feel disenfranchised and turn toward nationalism and are the easiest to radicalize. This is what happened in Germany. And who is more disenfranchised than people who can't read?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟896,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
People in financial trouble feel disenfranchised

Precisely. This is also a prominent and consistent factor in crime and things like the Black Lives Matter riots and looting.

Someone that doesn't have much to lose that for one reason or another feels backed into a corner is a dangerous thing.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,590.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
@GreekOrthodox When I have money troubles, I don't buy a plane ticket to D.C. and stay in an expensive hotel. Go figure.

Perhaps that sort of fiscal irresponsibility is a major contributor to their financial problems.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The arrested Capitol Rioters are *ALL* Trump supporters.
We don't know that. Stupid people like to move around a lot.
It's not in stone that they know how to vote.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟293,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We don't know that. Stupid people like to move around a lot.
It's not in stone that they know how to vote.

Here's a list of them. I suggest you read the "affidavit" documents. (The indictments are very dry and say little other than "the grand jury finds that XXX violate YYY".

Check to see if they are Trump supporters or not. See if you can find a non-supporter.

Capitol Breach Cases

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

That doesn't surprise me one bit. It actually reminds me of stuff I have read before in book like the one below.

The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So the solution is to stop funding wars for a little while and pay off people's debts so they stop feeling like they have nothing to lose.

Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
That doesn't surprise me. The Sovereign Citizens movement is full of money troubles even moreso, and are prone to believing the same nonsense conspiracy theories.

Another thing to consider is perhaps those individuals suffer from poor emotional regulation, which might mean they have trouble handling spending. Buying expensive plane tickets to fly to Washington to listen to a conman with a proven record of lying and fraud sort of suggests that.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

If you took a random sampling of the general public you would likely find the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Trump supporters actually aren't economically deprived, contrary to some of the simplistic narratives on the Left to explain the rise of Trumpism. However, that's different from having money troubles. Living beyond your means is a real issue for alot of Americans.

There are a nexus of existential challenges for many Americans in flyover country, it seems. Drug use, attraction to politico-religious cults, etc. all point to diseases of despair. Mainstream, traditional Christian religions have failed to speak to these people and offer them tools for emotional resilience and moral cultivation, so they fall victim to charlatans and cult leaders like Alex Jones or Rush Limbaugh.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The OP says that many Trump supporters are professionals and few have violent histories. In contrast to the people who were arrested.

The Washington Post said that of the people facing charges so far most are professionals and have few violent histories. The full article is attempting to figure out how these folks got involved in this event.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, the left is tired of the right taking advantage of it. This round will be tougher for right to get things to go their way like in the past.

If the right finally comes to the table to talk things out instead of demanding everything goes their way, then you will start seeing unity.

I started seeing the Republican party embracing extremism with the rise of the Tea Party movement. As a Republican, I felt that I was remaining in the same place (center right) while the TPM shifted the entire party to the right than I really felt comfortable with. By 2016, I had shifted to the left a bit in my views but still remained a member of the Republicans. I voted for Kasich in the MA primaries but refused to vote for Trump in the general election. I felt safe that I could vote libertarian in MA since that is a blue state. When I moved, I changed parties officially.

There are still center right republicans out there but they are getting fewer in number. I wouldnt be surprised if others were like me and are Blue Dog Democrats.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Trump supporters actually aren't economically deprived, contrary to some of the simplistic narratives on the Left to explain the rise of Trumpism. However, that's different from having money troubles. Living beyond your means is a real issue for alot of Americans.

There are a nexus of existential challenges for many Americans in flyover country, it seems. Drug use, attraction to politico-religious cults, etc. all point to diseases of despair. Mainstream, traditional Christian religions have failed to speak to these people and offer them tools for emotional resilience and moral cultivation, so they fall victim to charlatans and cult leaders like Alex Jones or Rush Limbaugh.
...or a gold-plated lifestyle brand salesman who validates your sense of entitlement and promises the moon.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you took a random sampling of the general public you would likely find the same thing.

That was one of the points of the WP article. The group IS different than the general public.

"The group’s bankruptcy rate — 18 percent — was nearly twice as high as that of the American public, The Post found. A quarter of them had been sued for money owed to a creditor. And 1 in 5 of them faced losing their home at one point, according to court filings."

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the left is tired of the right taking advantage of it. This round will be tougher for right to get things to go their way like in the past.

If the right finally comes to the table to talk things out instead of demanding everything goes their way, then you will start seeing unity.
Actually, we on the right are tired of being taken advantage of by the Dems (and many Republicans). You won't see any unity from me until the left shows they actually mean it. They don't.

• Agree
Reactions: Direct Driver
Upvote 0