• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Majority of Capitol Rioters have financial trouble

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by GreekOrthodox, Feb 10, 2021.

1. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,388
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Washington Post - A Majority Of The People Arrested For Capitol Riot Had A History Of Financial Trouble.
    • "Nearly 60 percent of the people facing charges related to the Capitol riot showed signs of prior money troubles, including bankruptcies, notices of eviction or foreclosure, bad debts, or unpaid taxes over the past two decades, according to a Washington Post analysis of public records for 125 defendants with sufficient information to detail their financial histories."
    • "The group’s bankruptcy rate — 18 percent — was nearly twice as high as that of the American public, The Post found. A quarter of them had been sued for money owed to a creditor. And 1 in 5 of them faced losing their home at one point, according to court filings."
    • "The financial problems are revealing because they offer potential clues for understanding why so many Trump supporters — many with professional careers and few with violent criminal histories — were willing to participate in an attack egged on by the president’s rhetoric painting him and his supporters as undeserving victims."

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+3,377
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    @GreekOrthodox When I have money troubles, I don't buy a plane ticket to D.C. and stay in an expensive hotel. Go figure.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,124
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others

Actually, the logic is twisted a bit there.
    People in financial trouble feel disenfranchised and turn toward nationalism and are the easiest to radicalize. This is what happened in Germany. And who is more disenfranchised than people who can't read?

4. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+42,335
    Christian
    Did these people get free high quality legal help and free bail and paid to protest?

5. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,757
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Precisely. This is also a prominent and consistent factor in crime and things like the Black Lives Matter riots and looting.

Someone that doesn't have much to lose that for one reason or another feels backed into a corner is a dangerous thing.

6. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,530
    Atheist
    Single
    Perhaps that sort of fiscal irresponsibility is a major contributor to their financial problems.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,124
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    We don't know that. Stupid people like to move around a lot.
    It's not in stone that they know how to vote.

8. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+3,646
    Atheist
    Private
    Here's a list of them. I suggest you read the "affidavit" documents. (The indictments are very dry and say little other than "the grand jury finds that XXX violate YYY".

Check to see if they are Trump supporters or not. See if you can find a non-supporter.

Capitol Breach Cases

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  9. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+3,377
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Excellent point. Correlates with their generally poor judgment about other things.

10. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+3,705
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    That doesn't surprise me one bit. It actually reminds me of stuff I have read before in book like the one below.

The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression - Wikipedia

11. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,355
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    So the solution is to stop funding wars for a little while and pay off people's debts so they stop feeling like they have nothing to lose.

12. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,427
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    That doesn't surprise me. The Sovereign Citizens movement is full of money troubles even moreso, and are prone to believing the same nonsense conspiracy theories.

Another thing to consider is perhaps those individuals suffer from poor emotional regulation, which might mean they have trouble handling spending. Buying expensive plane tickets to fly to Washington to listen to a conman with a proven record of lying and fraud sort of suggests that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+6,122
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If you took a random sampling of the general public you would likely find the same thing.

14. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+6,100
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I suggest you reread what you quoted.

15. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,427
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Trump supporters actually aren't economically deprived, contrary to some of the simplistic narratives on the Left to explain the rise of Trumpism. However, that's different from having money troubles. Living beyond your means is a real issue for alot of Americans.

There are a nexus of existential challenges for many Americans in flyover country, it seems. Drug use, attraction to politico-religious cults, etc. all point to diseases of despair. Mainstream, traditional Christian religions have failed to speak to these people and offer them tools for emotional resilience and moral cultivation, so they fall victim to charlatans and cult leaders like Alex Jones or Rush Limbaugh.

16. GreekOrthodox

+2,388
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The Washington Post said that of the people facing charges so far most are professionals and have few violent histories. The full article is attempting to figure out how these folks got involved in this event.

17. GreekOrthodox

+2,388
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I started seeing the Republican party embracing extremism with the rise of the Tea Party movement. As a Republican, I felt that I was remaining in the same place (center right) while the TPM shifted the entire party to the right than I really felt comfortable with. By 2016, I had shifted to the left a bit in my views but still remained a member of the Republicans. I voted for Kasich in the MA primaries but refused to vote for Trump in the general election. I felt safe that I could vote libertarian in MA since that is a blue state. When I moved, I changed parties officially.

There are still center right republicans out there but they are getting fewer in number. I wouldnt be surprised if others were like me and are Blue Dog Democrats.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,009
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    ...or a gold-plated lifestyle brand salesman who validates your sense of entitlement and promises the moon.

19. GreekOrthodox

+2,388
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    That was one of the points of the WP article. The group IS different than the general public.

"The group’s bankruptcy rate — 18 percent — was nearly twice as high as that of the American public, The Post found. A quarter of them had been sued for money owed to a creditor. And 1 in 5 of them faced losing their home at one point, according to court filings."

20. Under One King

Under One King Well-Known Member

+574
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Actually, we on the right are tired of being taken advantage of by the Dems (and many Republicans). You won't see any unity from me until the left shows they actually mean it. They don't.