Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I am extremely thankful that I have a godfather like I have been blessed with. To see a man drive for twenty minutes on Thanksgiving to find an open shop, just so he can get a meager thanksgiving meal for one homeless man has me nearly in tears of joy.

If you have a godparent who is a blessing to you, let him or her know :)

That is all

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'll be honest, I have very little relationship with my Godfather. He's had a conversation with me once since my Chrismation, though we attend the same church every Sunday.

However there is another man at the parish who I have a great relationship with and who I sort of look to as my unofficial Godfather. His spirituality and humble piety are amazing, and his relationship with his kids, and his love for the faith and evangelism are amazing. I told his wife last Sunday that I would've asked him to be my Godfather if I had known him a bit better then. I look to him for my example of Orthodox manhood and fatherhood, he's been Orthodox for years.

It's really made me consider the qualities I want for my kid in his Godparents, and I have discussions with them about what their roles mean and how we see them living it out.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,430.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'll always be thankful for my GodPapa - it was he who introduced me to the East and supported me through a lot of problems, as I moved Eastwards.

He became a really good friend and still is. His support through my husband's illness and death was incredible - always there at the end of a phone, a shoulder to lean on , cry on etc. Always willing to give me a hug when I need it. He's taught me so much , liturgy , theology , but there are still huge gaps in my knowledge , which we fill as and when we can. He's responsible for the growing collection of books on things liturgical which can be found everywhere in my house .

We have a very complex relationship - he is after all the age of my younger daughter ;) At times he's like the son I never had . I'll scold him at times , but when GodPapa lifts his index finger and says 'Anhelyna ' I shut up fast ;)

I couldn't do without him - I just wish I lived nearer than 400 miles away.

Godfathers - who needs them ? We all do

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
my Godfather is the street preacher from whom I first heard about Orthodoxy. whether I have needed a spiritual pat on the back or kick in the pants (I get more of these), both he and my Godmother have been there. I am beyond blessed to have them praying for me.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My Godfather is WAAAAAAAYYYYy more gung-ho into Orthodoxy than I am and sometimes that is actually more of a frustrating thing than helpful. He is a self-described "fanatic." I never despute that with him! ^_^ Kind of like what Joseph Hazen said, I was tight, really close with my godfather for a while, then we kind of went our separate ways (hearing the Journey song in my head now). He's a good man.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am extremely thankful that I have a godfather like I have been blessed with. To see a man drive for twenty minutes on Thanksgiving to find an open shop, just so he can get a meager thanksgiving meal for one homeless man has me nearly in tears of joy.

If you have a godparent who is a blessing to you, let him or her know :)

That is all
Would godmothers also count or god uncles? I don't have any godfathers in my life, but there were plenty others in differing roles who helped.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Easy G (G²);61823730 said:
Would godmothers also count or god uncles? I don't have any godfathers in my life, but there were plenty others in differing roles who helped.

God parents in general. And thanks for all the responses guys

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My godfather was a Hieromonk. The last time I saw him was when I was very young, so I don't really remember him. He reposed when I was a teenager, so I never got to know him in my adult years. As it happens, when I moved to Boise and started going to the Russian church, I found out that my priest served as a deacon under my godfather when he lived in Colorado. So now I serve as a deacon under the priest that served as a deacon under my godfather. God does some pretty neat things.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God parents in general. And thanks for all the responses guys
Got ya. Thanks for taking the time for giving the wonderful reminders..

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My godfather was a Hieromonk. The last time I saw him was when I was very young, so I don't really remember him. He reposed when I was a teenager, so I never got to know him in my adult years. As it happens, when I moved to Boise and started going to the Russian church, I found out that my priest served as a deacon under my godfather when he lived in Colorado. So now I serve as a deacon under the priest that served as a deacon under my godfather. God does some pretty neat things.

wow, that is pretty awesome.

Upvote 0