Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I have chronic migraines, and am required to go to the chapels. As I do not interpret the chapels (Thank God!), I do not need to be up front, and I sit in the back with earplugs in my ears. even with high quality earplugs, I can hear the music and words so loudly that I am tempted to have an audiologist or neurologist give me doctor's orders to refrain from coming to chapel services during the music portion. I'm not kidding, my co-workers across the street say they can hear the music understandably in the kitchen, with all the machines going.

I have an inner ear disease called Meneir's disease, which effects balance, hearing, and can cause migraines. I have had several doctors order me to avoid loud noises and vibrations, as they can trigger migraines quite easily. The music is so loud that the bass drums cause the projectors to flash static with every beat.

Doctrinal differences aside, this level of volume makes the chapels effectively inaccessible to me, and I am required to go. I leave every Tuesday and Thursday with a migraine afterwards, feeling like my head has been used for the bell when Communion is served at my Church. I crawl through my school day feeling horrible, and don't want to be around people. What do I do?

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I cannot say if this applies in the area you live but it would in the UK.

First off see if something called 'Reasonable adjustments' may be made under disability legislation. Menieres counts as a disability and if you have supporting medical evidence in most places you can ask for reasonable adjustments to be made.

Secondly; and I can assure you my husband as a worship leader would most certainly want to know; talk to the worship leader. Their aim is to enable and help include all people present in the worship of God. If the problem is the music it may be possible to attend for the quiet parts of the liturgy and quietly leave before full choral or music worship.
Some place sthat use lights can rest the lights and certainly a good sound desk engineer can damp down sound. If they do not know what they do causes you a real problem they cannot adapt what they do to include you.

Thirdly the noise levels may be exceeding safe decibels. In the UK this is covered under Health and Safety Legilsation and churches have been rpesecuted for causing 'noise disturbance'. Its okay for your congregatuon to be able to hear the service in progress its not okay for neighbours three streets away to also be able to hear it.

If you need someone to sound ideas out could your personal tutor/ allocated teacher be of help. they may even be able to tell you who you need to talk with and what policies and guidelines your school follows regarding disability. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
vespasia said:
I cannot say if this applies in the area you live but it would in the UK.

First off see if something called 'Reasonable adjustments' may be made under disability legislation. Menieres counts as a disability and if you have supporting medical evidence in most places you can ask for reasonable adjustments to be made.

Secondly; and I can assure you my husband as a worship leader would most certainly want to know; talk to the worship leader. Their aim is to enable and help include all people present in the worship of God. If the problem is the music it may be possible to attend for the quiet parts of the liturgy and quietly leave before full choral or music worship.
Some place sthat use lights can rest the lights and certainly a good sound desk engineer can damp down sound. If they do not know what they do causes you a real problem they cannot adapt what they do to include you.

Thirdly the noise levels may be exceeding safe decibels. In the UK this is covered under Health and Safety Legilsation and churches have been rpesecuted for causing 'noise disturbance'. Its okay for your congregatuon to be able to hear the service in progress its not okay for neighbours three streets away to also be able to hear it.

If you need someone to sound ideas out could your personal tutor/ allocated teacher be of help. they may even be able to tell you who you need to talk with and what policies and guidelines your school follows regarding disability. Hope that helps.

Liturgy doesn't happen in a baptist school.

Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟8,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have chronic migraines, and am required to go to the chapels. As I do not interpret the chapels (Thank God!), I do not need to be up front, and I sit in the back with earplugs in my ears. even with high quality earplugs, I can hear the music and words so loudly that I am tempted to have an audiologist or neurologist give me doctor's orders to refrain from coming to chapel services during the music portion. I'm not kidding, my co-workers across the street say they can hear the music understandably in the kitchen, with all the machines going.

I have an inner ear disease called Meneir's disease, which effects balance, hearing, and can cause migraines. I have had several doctors order me to avoid loud noises and vibrations, as they can trigger migraines quite easily. The music is so loud that the bass drums cause the projectors to flash static with every beat.

Doctrinal differences aside, this level of volume makes the chapels effectively inaccessible to me, and I am required to go. I leave every Tuesday and Thursday with a migraine afterwards, feeling like my head has been used for the bell when Communion is served at my Church. I crawl through my school day feeling horrible, and don't want to be around people. What do I do?

become a monk where sound is frowned upon

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Liturgy does happen in a Baptist setting. ^_^

Liturgy simply means who worship is done in a particular context. Not all liturgy is formal with set words but I bet you could describe the basic structures that happen during the service.;)
True, and I can say exactly what the person will say alongside him as he prays over offering or lunch. ;)

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'm certain they would accomodate you, especially if they know you have it. It would be cruel and very unchristian of them not to, honestly.

Their idea of accomodations is that I can opt to stand on the steps outside the chapel -_- I'm considering finding an over their heads option, but I have no idea where to start

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums