Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of the country’s largest adoption and foster care agencies, Bethany Christian Services, announced on Monday that it would begin providing services to L.G.B.T.Q. parents nationwide effective immediately, a major inflection point in the fraught battle over many faith-based agencies’ longstanding opposition to working with same-sex couples.

Bethany, a Michigan-based evangelical organization, announced the change in an email to about 1,500 staff members that was signed by Chris Palusky, the organization’s president and chief executive. “We will now offer services with the love and compassion of Jesus to the many types of families who exist in our world today,” Mr. Palusky wrote. “We’re taking an ‘all hands on deck’ approach where all are welcome
.”

Major Evangelical Adoption Agency Will Now Serve Gay Parents Nationwide

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On the one hand they know they will lose some donors, and some of the pool of evangelicals that want to adopt (although I doubt much of the later). On the other, they will probably gain donors, and the pool of LGBTQ couples wanting to adopt is growing.

I'm sure there will be plenty of hand wringing and pearl clutching, but I doubt it will have much adverse effect on the organization. We'll see.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
One of the country’s largest adoption and foster care agencies, Bethany Christian Services, announced on Monday that it would begin providing services to L.G.B.T.Q. parents nationwide effective immediately, a major inflection point in the fraught battle over many faith-based agencies’ longstanding opposition to working with same-sex couples.

Bethany, a Michigan-based evangelical organization, announced the change in an email to about 1,500 staff members that was signed by Chris Palusky, the organization’s president and chief executive. “We will now offer services with the love and compassion of Jesus to the many types of families who exist in our world today,” Mr. Palusky wrote. “We’re taking an ‘all hands on deck’ approach where all are welcome
.”

Major Evangelical Adoption Agency Will Now Serve Gay Parents Nationwide

A sensible shift.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, backlash, comes out of the evangelical community.

OB

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just love evangelicals. They've never found a moral issue they couldn't equivocate on or compromise.
Not that I support Bethany's decision, but:

They had to have considered how the Catholic adoption services in liberal cities chose to close and stop providing adoption services at all. Are orphaned children in those cities better off or worse off because of that decision?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the one hand they know they will lose some donors, and some of the pool of evangelicals that want to adopt (although I doubt much of the later). On the other, they will probably gain donors, and the pool of LGBTQ couples wanting to adopt is growing.

I'm sure there will be plenty of hand wringing and pearl clutching, but I doubt it will have much adverse effect on the organization. We'll see.

Yep, they would not have done it, if it was going to hurt them...it may even help them.

Sad, but a sign of the times, and not a good sign.

Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I found the following article on how the children of gay parents turn out interesting, and just as expected.

What does that say about homosexuals reared in Christian homes? Do they get a Satan pass?

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I found the following article on how the children of gay parents turn out interesting, and just as expected.

Children of homosexuals more apt to be homosexuals? A reply to Morrison and to Cameron based on an examination of multiple sources of data - PubMed
this initially confused me as it was in response to a "study" by Paul Cameron published in this same journal in 2006. No legitimate scientific journal would touch anything written by Cameron. The man is the poster child for fake research. He was kicked out of the APA in the 80's when it was found he had just made up the survey responses for a study he conducted. The Journal of Biosocial Science was at one time a vanity press publication. They would publish your grandmother's banana bread recipe and call it a scientific study so long as you had a functioning credit card. the journal was bought by Cambridge Press who has since turned it into an actual peer reviewed journal. So please take the findings of this study with a very large grain of salt.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this initially confused me as it was in response to a "study" by Paul Cameron published in this same journal in 2006. No legitimate scientific journal would touch anything written by Cameron. The man is the poster child for fake research. He was kicked out of the APA in the 80's when it was found he had just made up the survey responses for a study he conducted. The Journal of Biosocial Science was at one time a vanity press publication. They would publish your grandmother's banana bread recipe and call it a scientific study so long as you had a functioning credit card. the journal was bought by Cambridge Press who has since turned it into an actual peer reviewed journal. So please take the findings of this study with a very large grain of salt.

Here ya go, another study.

Adult children of lesbian parents less likely to identify as straight, study finds

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Or, alternative title: Adult children of lesbian parents less likely to feel pressured to identify as straight when they're actually homosexual.

I have family members and friends who are lesbian couples. None of their children are homosexual nor do they identify as such. I have lots of friends and family members who are straight who have homosexual children. The sexual orientation of the parents obviously plays very little into how the children identify. I imagine EVERYONE has similar experience.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Christians are in no position to point fingers given the rampant addiction to inappropriate contentography in the pulpit and congregation. Not to mention the plethora of sex scandals we’ve endured.

~bella

Upvote 0