Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2009
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone this is my first post here not sure where to post this.

Was just wondering what some of my fellow christians thought about some things...

here is straight from the biblegateway

Exodus 16 (King James Version)

4Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.

ok skip ahead to

13And it came to pass, that at even the quails came up, and covered the camp: and in the morning the dew lay round about the host. 14And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground.
15And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat.

OKAY now this has troubled me deeply as a christian because I ask myself. What kind of food can be a test or a proving ground I read in one translation for gods people??

What kind of food source fits the description here? Does any one have any ideas?

We have a sacrament where we eat of Jesus flesh in remembrance of him right?

Well in Oaxaca, Mexico there is a religion hundreds of years old inherited from the Mayas and the Aztecs where they worship a holy mushroom called "Teonancatl" or the Flesh of God.

please any feed back is wanted!!

BlueBelle

Senior Veteran
Apr 27, 2007
✟22,274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never heard of those mushrooms in Mexico.
I have heard people think that the manna may be a type of mushroom. That God provided the mushrooms to be naturally grown for them.
Could be something like that. But Idon't think so.

Okay I google these magic mushrooms. Even has some youtube videos about it.
I think it is garbage.
And the teachings behind these mushrooms can lead a person astray from Christianity!

I still take the manna as supernaturally being given 6 days a week. If God supernaturally provide the manna in a naturally growing form, it isn't these magic mushrooms.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about it makes you think so lowly?? What teaching behind the mushroom's?

"If God supernaturally provide the manna in a naturally growing form, it isn't these magic mushrooms. "
I dont understand what you mean here.

My question to you is have you ever tried any psilocybe containing species of mushrooms? They are what you make of them.

Any way I was just wondering if you could make an educated guess as to what it is if you think its not a mushroom.

4Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.

The part that stands out to me here is what kind of food hallucinogen or not fits the description "that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no."

Upvote 0

BlueBelle

Senior Veteran
Apr 27, 2007
✟22,274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These mushrooms are drugs, you are correct, do you think God would appove of them when we are told that drunkenness, not having a drink, but being drunk is wrong?

when I said lead one astray, it was only meant most people behind promoting this idea aren't exactly Judeo-Christian in beliefs

Just one example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMjt9qE4kx0&feature=related

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Drugs is a bad word or the wrong word used to describe mushrooms. Caffeine, Sugar and Alcohol are drugs. They are just more widely accepted in European cultures. Wine and Beer are ok in moderation but abuse quickly leads to drunkenness.

Mushrooms have no addictive qualities, however their medicinal use is highly valued by indigenous cultures all over the world . here wikipedia

Psilocybin mushrooms are non-addictive although they do create short term increases in tolerance of users.As with many psychoactive substances, the effects of psychedelic mushrooms are subjective and unpredictable. A common misconception, even seen in the professional environment, is that the effects experienced from psilocybin are due to a poisonous nature of the compound, yet the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, a branch of the Center for Disease Control, rated psilocybin less toxic than aspirin

There have been calls for medical investigation of the use of synthetic and mushroom-derived psilocybin for the development of improved treatments of various mental conditions, including chronic cluster headaches, following numerous anecdotal reports of benefits. There are also several accounts of psilocybin mushrooms sending both Obssesive-Compulsive Disorder ("OCD") and OCD-related clinical depression (both being widespread and debilitating mental health conditions) into complete remission immediately and for up to months at a time, compared to current medications which often have both limited efficacy and frequent undesirable side-effects. One such study states:
"Developing drugs that are more effective and faster acting for the treatment of OCD is of utmost importance and until recently, little hope was in hand. A new potential avenue of treatment may exist. There are several reported cases concerning the beneficial effects of hallucinogenic drugs (psilocybin and LSD), potent stimulators of 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors, in patients with OCD (Brandrup and Vanggaard, 1977, Rapoport, 1987, Moreno and Delgado, 1997) and related disorders such as body dysmorphic disorder (Hanes, 1996)"

sorry i couldnt post a link i dont have enough posts yet guys!

Upvote 0

Yardstick

Episcopalian
Oct 12, 2008
Kansas City, MO
✟8,539.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't see any evidence that the manna described in the bible is psylocibin mushrooms. While the hallucigens in these mushrooms may prepare a person for a Religious Experience, I don't see how that connects it to manna, which was based on the concept that one should trust in God to provide for them.

The description of manna does not match that of mushrooms.
"Numbers describes it as having the appearance of bdellium,[5] adding that the Israelites ground it up and pounded it into cakes, which were then baked, resulting in something that tasted like cakes baked with oil.[6] Exodus states that raw manna tasted like wafers that had been made with honey."

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground.
Is Psilocybin as small as hoar frost?
I don't know from hoar frost, but the psilocybin I've seen was relatively large compared to froasts I have seen.

Entheogens would be quite a surprise dish for people who were only concerened about the hunger in their gut. (& I don't mean in their solar plexus chakra, lol)

I don't have any hostility toward the idea, but I intuit problems integrating the theory into the text.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL, stop.
I do wonder how Entheoguy would rightly divide this:
John6:49: Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
50: This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
51: I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.