Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Have you considered the possibility you are mistaken viz. that my father really did turn up the night he died, apologised for his cruelty, we talked and argued, and at the end he disappeared into eternity with one almighty scream.
I find that question verging on the offensive. I would be a pretty poor excuse for a human being if I failed to practice that which I implicitly encourage you to do.

I have no meaningful doubt that you believe entirely that you were visited by your father's spirit. However, in the absence of independent, verifiable evidence I have a choice between accepting your account and explanation, or favouring a natural explanation that is consistent with what is known of human psychology and perception. I would have welcomed the opportunity to sit with you and discuss your experience in more detail, but that is likely impractical, so - on balance - I provisionally conclude your are most likely mistaken.

You're the one that is mistaken. This universe didn't get here by chance.
I have made no claim that the universe got here by chance. I am arrogant at times, but I am assuredly not that arrogant. What makes you think I hold that view?
As for creation "ex nihilo", from nothing, this universe still adds up to "nothing" ie. sum zero energy universe.
What an astonding non sequitur! It seems you choose to see that and your preceding point as somehow supporting the existence of God. If that is your thinking then, on that point, you are seriously mistaken. Even if you were correct, and these comments are evidence for God, they certainly do nothing to identify that God as the Christian God.

By the way @Bob Crowley , it would be helpful, if and when you reply to me that you either quote a portion of my post, or use the @Ophiolite link, to alert me that you have replied. Otherwise I could easily miss your response.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Have you considered the possibility you are mistaken viz. that my father really did turn up the night he died, apologised for his cruelty, we talked and argued, and at the end he disappeared into eternity with one almighty scream.

It was so detailed I wrote down most of the conversation years later.

At one point in the conversation I blurted out "What is this!! A dream or something??"

He looked a bit bemused and said "No, it's not a dream. I died tonight."

He also made some predictions, two of which were "You'll become a Christian" and "You'll meet a pastor. You'll think he's great, but all he'll do is to discourage you even more."

My father died in January 1979. I became a Christian late 1982, probably around October 1982 not long after the Commonwealth Games in Brisbane. I remember that because I had the flu at the time and ended up watching a lot of sport, which I normally don't do. But as I was sitting there I kept getting this nagging sense i should go back to the same church where I'd done a bit of Sunday School years earlier.

That was the push to go to the church and I became Christian not long after. That was also when I met the above mentioned pastor.

But towards the end of my time in his church when I got married in late 1991, and he died in January 1992 from cancer, he said to me in his office - "I owe you a apology".

I asked him why. He replied "You needed encouragement, but all I've done is to discourage you even more!"

You're the one that is mistaken. This universe didn't get here by chance.

As for creation "ex nihilo", from nothing, this universe still adds up to "nothing" ie. sum zero energy universe.

What's the Total Energy In the Universe?

It's a stage prop for the story for the human story, and when God's finished with it, He'll sweep it away.

Even science tells us it's doomed in one way or another.

Stephen Hawking worried about the Higgs Boson, indicating doomsday could even now be approaching at the speed of light.

Stephen Hawking Fears Higgs Boson Doomsday, and He's Not Alone
Wow, I guess you win - your dad was a time-travelling spirit prophet and my dad was just a barrister. I bet my mom beats your mom though!

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,095.00
Faith
Atheist
Have it your way.

You'll find out yourself one day if I'm telling the truth or not.

I'm not in the habit of making up far fetched stories, as those who know me would affirm.
It's not a question about "making up far fetched stories"; it's about whether you can be fooled/wrong.

Upvote 0