Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Mgadalene Homes have generally been places where women who had reformed a sinful lifestyle, frequently prostitution, could live while they got back on their feet. There was recently an independent film about a Magdalene home in Ireland that slammed the Church and the sisters.:sigh:

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
When I was a girl, "the Magdalene" was known as the place where girls went who had "gotten in trouble" -- which meant, were pregnant. They would go to the Magdalene before their pregnancy began to show. Their parents would tell people that they were visiting an aunt, or away at boarding school. When the baby was born it would be put up for adoption from the Magdalene, and the girl would come home "from visiting her aunt" with her reputation intact.

Yes, it sounds medeaival. But as little as forty years ago, that was the norm for a girl who got pregnant. There were no pregnant teens in highschool, no "teen mothers" classes interspersed between academic classes.

Upvote 0

Irish Melkite

Melkite Greek-Catholic
Dec 30, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟1,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Carly said:
Mgadalene Homes have generally been places where women who had reformed a sinful lifestyle, frequently prostitution, could live while they got back on their feet. There was recently an independent film about a Magdalene home in Ireland that slammed the Church and the sisters.:sigh:

Carly and pm,

I'm afraid you both have a somewhat uninformed view of the so-called Magdalene Laundries, which would be what the OP referred to. There is a reasonably accurate description of the history at The Magdalene Laundries. I can provide additional sites, if anyone wants to pursue the subject further. Although the film referenced was harsh, the story depicted was essentially accurate. Their history is an unfortunate blot on the Irish Catholic Church.

See also Unfortunately, It's True, Magdalene Laundries, and the Apology of the Sisters of Mercy.

Many years,

Neil

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
The Magdalene Laundries were a specific "Magdalene" home. They weren't the only one, and the term was used in the vernacular for homes for unwed mothers. I did have friends as a girl who "got in trouble", and some of them actually ended up having a better experience and better mentoring at "the Magdalene" (which was not the Magdalene Laundries of documentary notoriety) than they got from their own mothers. One still remembers the Sister Superior as the first real "mother" she ever knew.

Of course, the bad experiences make much better press, but it's good to remember the situations where devout religious women did real good, too.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Irish Melkite said:
Carly and pm,

I'm afraid you both have a somewhat uninformed view of the so-called Magdalene Laundries, which would be what the OP referred to. There is a reasonably accurate description of the history at The Magdalene Laundries. I can provide additional sites, if anyone wants to pursue the subject further. Although the film referenced was harsh, the story depicted was essentially accurate. Their history is an unfortunate blot on the Irish Catholic Church.

See also Unfortunately, It's True, Magdalene Laundries, and the Apology of the Sisters of Mercy.

Many years,

Neil
Yes there is some truth to it, but that movie is basically a smear campaign against the Church.

Michelle

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.