Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hughes is a 61-year-old limo driver who’s spent the last few years building a steam-powered rocket out of salvage parts in his garage.

His first test of the rocket will also be the launch date — Saturday , when he straps into his homemade contraption and attempts to hurtle over the ghost town of Amboy, California. He will travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.

“I don’t believe in science,” said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”

If he gets in that contraption and fires it off, I wish him the best of luck.

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
"But that’s not science, that’s just a formula."

Well, last thursday, when I was driving my limo down Cuckoo Lane, I found this formula. Poor little thing... I had to take it in and apply it.

Great. Someone who hasn't the slightest idea about science trying to teach others about it.
I sincerely hope he doesn't blow himself up.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If he gets in that contraption and fires it off, I wish him the best of luck.
That non-scientist probably has more safety features intact than NASA did with Apollo 1, with its hatch that opened outward.

• Winner
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That non-scientist probably has more safety features intact than NASA did with Apollo 1, with its hatch that opened outward.
Avlogic: Limo driver knows more about space travel, than qualified engineers and astrophysicists. Seems legit.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Avlogic: Limo driver knows more about space travel, than qualified engineers and astrophysicists. Seems legit.
At least he doesn't fill his gas tank with Hydrogen ... or does he?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Wow. There's a seemingly never ending supplies of dummies out there.

Well, it's clearly a huge publicity stunt, so he's no doubt counting on a lot of dummies out there to sign up for his PPV event... even if nothing happens.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

An inward opening hatch takes up valuable interior space. This is the reason that closet and cabinet doors do not open inward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well, it's clearly a huge publicity stunt, so he's no doubt counting on a lot of dummies out there to sign up for his PPV event... even if nothing happens.
Why sign up? If the event is as "spectacular" as seems likely, it will be on the evening news.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
An inward opening hatch takes up valuable interior space. This is the reason that closet and cabinet doors do not open inward.
Yes, but when used on a space capsule, I'm sure Gus Grissom, Roger Chaffee, and Ed White would have appreciated an exception.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

You've got your facts backward. Not that it'll matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Apollo 1 door opened inward. It was designed as a 'plug door' like you often seen on aircraft, so that the pressure of the air inside kept the door sealed and closed out in space. Unfortunately, the fire raised the pressure inside much higher than atmospheric pressure, making it difficult or impossible to open.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Apollo 1 door opened inward. It was designed as a 'plug door' like you often seen on aircraft, so that the pressure of the air inside kept the door sealed and closed out in space. Unfortunately, the fire raised the pressure inside much higher than atmospheric pressure, making it difficult or impossible to open.
Thanks for the correction!

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0