Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Daredevil rocket builder “Mad” Mike Hughes of Apple Valley died Saturday, Feb. 22, when the homemade steam-powered vessel he manned as part of a television series crashed in the San Bernardino County desert near Barstow, reports said.

The Science Channel, which has scheduled the series “Homemade Astronauts” to premiere this year, and TMZ reported that Hughes, 64, was aboard the rocket and perished in the accident.

A video posted on Twitter shows a parachute separating from the rocket just after launch and then moments later, the rocket falling from hundreds of feet nose-down.

He came to prominence (at least here on the forums) for his association with Flat Earthers who funded some of his earlier launches.

• Informative
Reactions: Tone

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Daredevil rocket builder “Mad” Mike Hughes of Apple Valley died Saturday, Feb. 22, when the homemade steam-powered vessel he manned as part of a television series crashed in the San Bernardino County desert near Barstow, reports said.

The Science Channel, which has scheduled the series “Homemade Astronauts” to premiere this year, and TMZ reported that Hughes, 64, was aboard the rocket and perished in the accident.

A video posted on Twitter shows a parachute separating from the rocket just after launch and then moments later, the rocket falling from hundreds of feet nose-down.

He came to prominence (at least here on the forums) for his association with Flat Earthers who funded some of his earlier launches.

Was he attempting a sort of flat-earth proof experiment of some sort, or was he just into rockets (if you know)?

RIP Mr Hughes.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,872.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I take my hat off to the man. Eccentric, but action oriented; willing to put his money where his mouth is and his life on the line for what he fervently believed. I consider Flat Earth "Theory" to be the epitome of balderdash, but I have huge admiration for someone who commits themselves in support of their beliefs. Much more worthy than those who spread FE nonsense on the internet and arguably worthier even than those, like me, who take time to refute the nonsense. Here's to you Mike.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Was he attempting a sort of flat-earth proof experiment of some sort, or was he just into rockets (if you know)?

Apparently this stunt was to be part of a Science Channel show about homemade rockets. As far as I know, there was no particular connection to the flat earth. (I half suspect that his association with the flat earth was a way to raise funds from flat earthers.)

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently this stunt was to be part of a Science Channel show about homemade rockets. As far as I know, there was no particular connection to the flat earth. (I half suspect that his association with the flat earth was a way to raise funds from flat earthers.)

Quite a canny idea that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For any flatEarthers reading, I have trained my dog as an SLD (super long distance) biological spirit level. She will prove - yes prove - that the earth is indeed flat. All I need is $10,000,000 to file the patent in the übersphere planning office. Be the first to donate!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
For any flatEarthers reading, I have trained my dog as an SLD (super long distance) biological spirit level. She will prove - yes prove - that the earth is indeed flat. All I need is $10,000,000 to file the patent in the übersphere planning office. Be the first to donate!

Give me your bank account details and I will put the money in it. :D

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Give me your bank account details and I will put the money in it. :D

Cash only, I’m being followed by NASA. They don’t want the truth to come out, they’ve been monitoring my dog under the guise of phoney concerns about ‘vaccines’ and ‘biting people’. Leave the money at the big farm, near my house, Romania. The truth is out there (etc).

Upvote 0

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Cash only, I’m being followed by NASA. They don’t want the truth to come out, they’ve been monitoring my dog under the guise of phoney concerns about ‘vaccines’ and ‘biting people’. Leave the money at the big farm, near my house, Romania. The truth is out there (etc).

You will have to collect it and it will be in UK £s. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It beats me how anyone can believe the earth is flat these days, when there is more than enough evidence to prove it is circular.

It's actually globular. ;)

Upvote 0