Tulsa, OK
✟8,498.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I did not know what manga was until today. I had a chance to see it for the first time today. I was not bad, it was differant, but not bad. I am new to this stuff. I like stuff like spirited-away and princess mononoke. I am trying to branch out. What is good to see? Are all magna sci-fi?:wave:

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, not all of them are sci-fi. There's plenty of other genres - fantasy, romance, action, sit-com, so-called 'slice of life' series (which tend to be either school or harem comedies with romance elements thrown in), drama, cop show, etc. There are even shows which specifically set out to parody all of the aforementioned genres.

Seeing as how I've never seen Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, I don't really know what to recommend that's similar to those.

It depends on what sorts of things you're comfortable with. My suggestions run from light fare to mature series:

Light: nothing that would really be considered objectionable

Semi-light: very little that would be considered objectionable; may contain some stronger language or very occasional nudity/semi-nudity in a comedic context (transformation sequences that involve light nudity would also fall into this category)

Medium: a more moderate amount of things that could be objectionable; may contain more frequent stronger language or nudity/semi-nudity used in both comedic and provocative contexts, some light sexual situations; violence is mainly slapstick in nature, and not very graphic

Semi-mature: probably contain things which are questionable, presented in a comedic or darkly serious context; violence is more gratuitous, in both slapstick and serious contexts; sexual situations more pronounced, possibly on par with mid-day soap operas, nudity probably used more for provocativeness than comedy.

Mature: contains things not for younger audiences, but not inappropriate contentographic - about on par with R-rated films; violence can be very gratuitous, strong sexual situations or strong innuendo, high likelihood for very serious plotlines, dark psychological plots, and other various things.

Ah! My Goddess (semi-light; romance/comedy, fantasy) - I personally recommend the miniseries (OAV or OVA=miniseries), but there's also a movie, and most recently two television seasons (first season, and second season - the second season's American release date I'm currently unaware of, although it has been licensed for U.S. distribution; the first season has already been released)

Elfen Lied (mature; action, psychological, horror)

Robotech (semi-light; action, space drama, sci-fi - the first season of the show is actually the Americanized version of the original Macross series)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (semi-mature; extremely psychological in later episodes, some sit-com elements early on, giant robot sci-fi, very liberal use of religious imagery for flavoring)

Azumanga Daioh (light; school sit-com)

School Rumble (medium; school sit-com, romance/comedy) - currently only available in English in fansub form, currently in its second season, there's also a 2-part miniseries that fits between the two seasons

RahXephon (semi-mature; action, giant robot sci-fi, psychological, romance - often considered as a less intense version of Evangelion, Mayan imagery used in place of the Judeo-Christian imagery in Eva)

Please Teacher! (semi-mature to mature; romance, comedy, drama, some light sci-fi elements)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (semi-light; psychological, sci-fi/fantasy, light comedy/drama) - currently only available in English in fansub form

Bleach (semi-mature; action, fantasy, comedy; centrally involves the concept of Shinigami - literally 'death god', in actuality more of a Grim Reaper/Angel of Death sort of figure) - release date in America unknown; will be premiering on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block in September

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (mature; romance, drama) - release date in America slated for Winter 2006

Mahoromatic (mature; sci-fi, somewhat-harem comedy, romance) - there's also a second season and a Summer Special (which chronologically occurs at some point during the second season, although I would recommend watching it last to soften the blow from the final episodes)

Galaxy Angel (light; sci-fi, comedy, action; Looney Tunes-style slapstick sit-com) - has four seasons, and a to be announced sequel television series.

In general, the Anime News Network Encyclopedia is a good place to look up information on a series.

Reactions: Lordbay
Upvote 0

Lordbay

Oct 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
✟8,498.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Qyöt27 said:
No, not all of them are sci-fi. There's plenty of other genres - fantasy, romance, action, sit-com, so-called 'slice of life' series (which tend to be either school or harem comedies with romance elements thrown in), drama, cop show, etc. There are even shows which specifically set out to parody all of the aforementioned genres.

Seeing as how I've never seen Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, I don't really know what to recommend that's similar to those.

It depends on what sorts of things you're comfortable with. My suggestions run from light fare to mature series:

Light: nothing that would really be considered objectionable

Semi-light: very little that would be considered objectionable; may contain some stronger language or very occasional nudity/semi-nudity in a comedic context (transformation sequences that involve light nudity would also fall into this category)

Medium: a more moderate amount of things that could be objectionable; may contain more frequent stronger language or nudity/semi-nudity used in both comedic and provocative contexts, some light sexual situations; violence is mainly slapstick in nature, and not very graphic

Semi-mature: probably contain things which are questionable, presented in a comedic or darkly serious context; violence is more gratuitous, in both slapstick and serious contexts; sexual situations more pronounced, possibly on par with mid-day soap operas, nudity probably used more for provocativeness than comedy.

Mature: contains things not for younger audiences, but not inappropriate contentographic - about on par with R-rated films; violence can be very gratuitous, strong sexual situations or strong innuendo, high likelihood for very serious plotlines, dark psychological plots, and other various things.

Ah! My Goddess (semi-light; romance/comedy, fantasy) - I personally recommend the miniseries (OAV or OVA=miniseries), but there's also a movie, and most recently two television seasons (first season, and second season - the second season's American release date I'm currently unaware of, although it has been licensed for U.S. distribution; the first season has already been released)

Elfen Lied (mature; action, psychological, horror)

Robotech (semi-light; action, space drama, sci-fi - the first season of the show is actually the Americanized version of the original Macross series)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (semi-mature; extremely psychological in later episodes, some sit-com elements early on, giant robot sci-fi, very liberal use of religious imagery for flavoring)

Azumanga Daioh (light; school sit-com)

School Rumble (medium; school sit-com, romance/comedy) - currently only available in English in fansub form, currently in its second season, there's also a 2-part miniseries that fits between the two seasons

RahXephon (semi-mature; action, giant robot sci-fi, psychological, romance - often considered as a less intense version of Evangelion, Mayan imagery used in place of the Judeo-Christian imagery in Eva)

Please Teacher! (semi-mature to mature; romance, comedy, drama, some light sci-fi elements)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (semi-light; psychological, sci-fi/fantasy, light comedy/drama) - currently only available in English in fansub form

Bleach (semi-mature; action, fantasy, comedy; centrally involves the concept of Shinigami - literally 'death god', in actuality more of a Grim Reaper/Angel of Death sort of figure) - release date in America unknown; will be premiering on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block in September

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (mature; romance, drama) - release date in America slated for Winter 2006

Mahoromatic (mature; sci-fi, somewhat-harem comedy, romance) - there's also a second season and a Summer Special (which chronologically occurs at some point during the second season, although I would recommend watching it last to soften the blow from the final episodes)

Galaxy Angel (light; sci-fi, comedy, action; Looney Tunes-style slapstick sit-com) - has four seasons, and a to be announced sequel television series.

In general, the Anime News Network Encyclopedia is a good place to look up information on a series.

Thanks for the info! I have seen some of these movies you have on here. I didn't know I was watching magna. I have seen robotech and neon genesis. I have been to best buy and seen Ah! Goodness in the store.

Ok, I have another question. What is the diffrence in the two? From what I can tell, it is the way they are drawn. Amine was more like a regular cartoons and magna have more still frame and look more like a drawing. This is all I could see.

Yes, I saw one the other day that had some sex and mature stuff. I don't remember what it was, it was a series. I could only watch one, because I really could not understand it. I am new at this, so far I like the fantasy type. Thanks for the info., for awhile I thought I wouldn't get an answer.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lordbay said:
Ok, I have another question. What is the diffrence in the two? From what I can tell, it is the way they are drawn. Amine was more like a regular cartoons and magna have more still frame and look more like a drawing. This is all I could see.
Manga are the actual comics (some booksellers go with the general term 'graphic novel'), anime is the actual animated stuff. At least, that's the way it's normally classified in America. In Europe (and even sometimes in Japan, from what I've heard) the two terms are used interchangably (although in Japan the word 'anime' refers to any and all animated content, and the phrase 'nippon no anime' specifically refers to Japanese animation).

Upvote 0