-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Someone said "Dr. Peck was a very gifted psychotherapist... Another said "I'm a strong fan of psychiatrist Dr Peck. What is the truth.
Both statements are correct. As I wrote in my previous post "Peck is a psychiatrist and he used psychotherapy." And if you're paranoid about what I said, here is a reference:

"Morgan Scott Peck (1936–2005) was an American psychiatrist and best-selling author who wrote the book The Road Less Traveled, published in 1978."

M. Scott Peck - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both statements are correct. As I wrote in my previous post "Peck is a psychiatrist and he used psychotherapy." And if you're paranoid about what I said, here is a reference:

"Morgan Scott Peck (1936–2005) was an American psychiatrist and best-selling author who wrote the book The Road Less Traveled, published in 1978."

M. Scott Peck - Wikipedia

No intent to offend on my part and thanks for the clarification.

A psychiatrist follows a medical model trying to deal with conditions beyond the realm of science. Much damage to lives has resulted. The church is partly to blame for this at it has abdicated to secular agencies when it has the unction to deal with such disorders. When Jesus arrived it was one of the first things He did.

• Friendly
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Someone said "Dr. Peck was a very gifted psychotherapist...

Another said "I'm a strong fan of psychiatrist Dr Peck.

What is the truth.

M. Scott Peck M.D.
He is a psychiatrist, a medical doctor specializing in mental disorders.
Psychiatrists can use non-medical therapy methods, as well as drugs, ECT, etc.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A psychiatrist follows a medical model trying to deal with conditions beyond the realm of science. Much damage to lives has resulted.
I'll have to disagree about psychiatric illness being beyond the realm of science. I assume you mean their causes are in the spiritual realm and this is not correct.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll have to disagree about psychiatric illness being beyond the realm of science. I assume you mean their causes are in the spiritual realm and this is not correct.

Christian Psychiatrists in my country have seen conditions that are clearly spiritual and some as a result leave the profession and train for Christian service.

I have been asked to pray with client of a Psychaitrist because the condition was clearly spiritual.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christian Psychiatrists in my country have seen conditions that are clearly spiritual and some as a result leave the profession and train for Christian service. I have been asked to pray with client of a Psychaitrist because the condition was clearly spiritual.
I agree there are "conditions that are clearly spiritual" and that prayer is helpful in all cases. Scott Peck actually gets into this in "People of the Lie."

The prominent Greek Orthodox theologian (John Romanides) says: “Having faith in Christ without undergoing healing in Christ is not faith at all.

Are todays churches ready for this role?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In general terms frankly no... They have become disempowered and engage in other 'more important ' matters ignoring the plight of brothers and sisters struggling in this area.
It's truly very sad. Churches without apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers designed for people with no thirst for the word of God. They feel good to listen to some loud music and an uplifting sermon.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's truly very sad. Churches without apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers designed for people with no thirst for the word of God. They feel good to listen to some loud music and an uplifting sermon.

Truely my heart weeps...

However - "You in your small corner and I in mine...

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Someone said "Dr. Peck was a very gifted psychotherapist...

Another said "I'm a strong fan of psychiatrist Dr Peck.

What is the truth.

I think the second is true of the person who wrote it, he is a fan of Scott Peck.

Maybe myself I should not have said as strongly as I did, as even people who see the same psychotherapist will vary on their opinion of that therapist, their helpfulness etc, and for various reasons.

Given some of his case histories if Dr. Peck was not lying he was able to help some people in bad turmoil. I don't know how many people he was not able to help. He does detail one instance of a young woman who was in psychotherapy for five years that he was untimately unable to help, something he says he learned a good deal from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a fantastic question. I'll try to answer without complicating issues. I'll be using my own terminology but the concepts are developed in multiple sources by Jews, Greek Orthodox, Freud, and other psychologists.

We are born with a selfish inclination, remember Scott Peck's self-consciousness? This is necessary for the self-preservation of every infant but it doesn't care about the well-being of others. Around the age of 2, we _start_ to develop our will, which is like the reigns of a horse, that stop us for infringing on others. And later still, perhaps between age 5-7 we _start_ to absorb societal and religious norms, developing a social conscience.

A healthy, unfractured, will can regulate the activity of the selfish inclination. To obtain this, our spirit which otherwise remains dormant, must be reborn from above by the Holy Spirit.

What do you think of this? Is it something that makes sense to you? What do you believe constitutes the human person? Is this something you discussed with your therapists; Christians or non-Christians?

It makes some sense. No i haven't found this very easy to discuss this with therapists either christian or non-christian, they tend to take the conversation back the issue of what is troubling you. I'd like a bit more info from them on their theoretical views if any - their view of the human person. A lot say they are integrative (drawing from several view points as appropriate).

I am somewhat unsure about what constitutes the human person, or moreso how it all is connected. I know what some of the views are. Most christians will say we have a spirit, which is either linked to God or not, and a soul and body. But I don't think these are neatly compartmentalised. I think its important to keep the whole in mind, not think of ourselves just as a series of parts.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It makes some sense. No i haven't found this very easy to discuss this with therapists either christian or non-christian, they tend to take the conversation back the issue of what is troubling you. I'd like a bit more info from them on their theoretical views if any - their view of the human person. A lot say they are integrative (drawing from several view points as appropriate).

I am somewhat unsure about what constitutes the human person, or moreso how it all is connected. I know what some of the views are. Most christians will say we have a spirit, which is either linked to God or not, and a soul and body. But I don't think these are neatly compartmentalised. I think its important to keep the whole in mind, not think of ourselves just as a series of parts.

Have you read any Watchman Nee?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Excellent recommendation. His book "The Spiritual Man" is not only a very important resource, but also a must read. No one else explained the human spirit like Nee did. I certainly benefitted greatly from the book and incorporate his ideas in my scheme. It's now available for download for free.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most christians will say we have a spirit, which is either linked to God or not, and a soul and body. But I don't think these are neatly compartmentalised. I think its important to keep the whole in mind, not think of ourselves just as a series of parts.
Absolutely everything is connected. A person is whole because they are not 3 disconnected compartments. When a person is reborn from above, the Holy Spirit causes regeneration of their human spirit. As watchman Nee said, the conscience is a function of the human spirit.

Regeneration of the spirit gradually changes the society conscience I mentioned this earlier, into a Christian conscience, very different. And the Christian conscience causes renewal of the mind: will, reason, emotions, and desires. The result is Healing of the will. Plz think of these verses:

Titus 3:5 he saved us—not by righteous works that we did ourselves, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and the renewal by the Holy Spirit,

Rom 12:2 Also, do not continue to conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, so that you test and approve what is the will of God—what is good, pleasing, and perfect.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Is this surrender of the will - a once for all thing, or something needing to be repeated over and over?

I think to say surrender of the will is a one time event simply sets one up for failure unless you know from a practical sense it's a daily thing. It's fine to say as in sports I'm going out there every time with confidence to hit home run....with such an attitude you're not timid and relaxed and all your energies are focused on making it happen....BUT....you do actually know you're not going to achieve it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Excellent recommendation. His book "The Spiritual Man" is not only a very important resource, but also a must read. No one else explained the human spirit like Nee did. I certainly benefitted greatly from the book and incorporate his ideas in my scheme. It's now available for download for free.

"The Normal Christian Life" by Nee is an absolute must as well. He brings out the understanding of just how one should properly view identification In Christ and the truth about the Old Man (sinful nature) that it's dead and buried....not trying to die but dead. It's not a trying to get to victory but realizing you ARE in victory but need your mind renewed to that fact. There can't be anything more important to understand and to meditate upon.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Link please, I will have a look.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think to say surrender of the will is a one time event simply sets one up for failure unless you know from a practical sense it's a daily thing. It's fine to say as in sports I'm going out there every time with confidence to hit home run....with such an attitude you're not timid and relaxed and all your energies are focused on making it happen....BUT....you do actually know you're not going to achieve it.

I see it as both...

If one is truely born again one surrenders ones will to Him.

That gives Him permission to override our future intent.

However at the same time we learn to walk in His will.

• Informative
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Yes but it was quite a while ago, I think I still have a book of his. I think some christian writers are saying much the same thing but in a slightly different way - some get on with one writer's way of explaining things better than others.

Upvote 0