Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am wondering about this because, for many reasons I don't know why, when I'm in the car I think about way too many random things. I should listen to music instead. loll.

Do you read people easily? If not, and if someone has lied to you, point blank, no matter what it was, how did you deal with the situation? How could you have dealt with it now, if it ever happened?

Sometimes, people lie because the truth is not as dramatic or interesting.
You can say, I ate eggs for breakfast. Seems boring enough. But, adding tomatoes, with green onion, bacon on the side seems more interesting. As if you spent more time with it, etc.

Really bad example (not so yummy in my head right now), but thats all I could come up with for the moment.

Also, do you feel not telling someone about a situation that is happening in your life (someone very close to you) as lying? What I'm trying to say -is not saying anything at all the same as lying for you?

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't handle liars very well at all. When I know someone is lying to my face, I cannot respect them and I cannot trust them. Depending on the situation, I might call them on it or I might just silently make a note of it for myself just as a character reference for that individual.

funny story (I guess) I was working the other night. And before the show even started I watched as a coworker told a patron that the only thing he was allowed to take into the theatre was bottled water. This is something every staff member learns on their first shift too. So an hour later I stopped him as he was about to take a cup of coffee into the theatre and he told me that such and such a staff member told him he was allowed to and started calling her every name in the book and telling me that I need to have a talk with her because she obviously didn't know house rules. yeah. I wasn't impressed with him.

Upvote 0

Ayersy

Friendly Neighborhood Nihilist
Sep 2, 2009
England
✟17,209.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I normally am very good at reading people, so long as I'm not attached to them in any way, then my judgement gets impaired.

I have alot of issues with being lied to, especially after what happened with my last girlfriend, when she continually lied to me, and so did my "friend", as I am always honest with people. There is no excuse for lying (Well, except tiny little white lies, such as when I can't be bothered to answer the phone, so I tell someone I was in the car or something...) as it normally tends to just come back and bite you in the ass.

I never lie, as a general rule. I've often been criticized for this for creating awkward situations between friends or for just being very blunt, and coming across as uncaring (I have a few warnings on here that can attest to that).

Withholding the truth in some situations, however, is necessary in rare situations, for the sake of people's privacy.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've had people lie to me in the past, when I would ask them things they considered too odd or personal (I was horrible at small talk). Looking back, I understand. It was offensive and wrong to ask them things outside of polite small talk. Some showed their anger more, and, even though those people bothered me the most at the time, they were the ones who helped me learn that what I was doing was wrong.

Those who didn't seem to mind, who answered honestly, they were the ones who I became better friends with. A good lesson to learn. (A true friend doesn't mind your flaws, and, may not even notice them like others do.)

There were some who reacted more "in between". They would lie. But then, later, I could tell they might have regretted it or misunderstood my reasons at the time for asking.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I used to embellish my stories a lot to make them more entertaining. After I came to see them as being lies, I stopped doing it. I still tell stories, but now people know when they are made up - although sometimes I'll tell it and then I'll say "I just made that up, never actually happened" afterwards. Which usually gets people laughing, or laughing harder if it was a funny story.

As for not being complete when you talk to other people, I don't think that's wrong unless you have led them to believe something, and then you refrain from saying it so that you don't technically lie; or if you allow them to believe something that they falsely concluded by failing to reveal the truth. Otherwise, it's just keeping things private. It would be physically impossible for us to tell everyone we know every detail about ever topic that we discuss, so I think it's the intent that matters.

Upvote 0

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I really hate being lied to. I can usually tell when someone is lying to me. Because of my professional experience working with the best and worst liars in the state of California (The patients in the mental hospital for criminals were good liars until they got caught. :p ) But I learned very well to tell the truth from a lie.

When someone close to be blatantly lies to me, and I know they are lying or figure it out later, I am more ticked off than if they would have just told me the truth. I would be less upset with the truth, than being lied to AND finding out what they lied about.

I appreciate honesty. Very much.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Ethnog said:
Do you read people easily? If not, and if someone has lied to you, point blank, no matter what it was, how did you deal with the situation? How could you have dealt with it now, if it ever happened?

I used to be pretty naive, so yes, sometimes people have lied to me and I was gullible at the time to believe them. These days, I can usually tell when people lie to me. You just notice certain things, like tone or body language. Sometimes, you just know people well enough to tell the difference! If someone lied to me recently point-blank, I would wonder why... and a part of me would be hurt (depending on who it is of course; random stranger/co-worker, nah). But, I would think: Why didn't they feel comfortable enough with me to tell me the truth?

Ethnog said:
You can say, I ate eggs for breakfast. Seems boring enough. But, adding tomatoes, with green onion, bacon on the side seems more interesting. As if you spent more time with it, etc.

There was a time not so long ago when I actually considered getting a Twitter account to document all the ridiculous things flying around my head all day-long; some truthful things, but others... just so ridiculous. Purely for [laughs] and giggles. Not so much lies, but definitely frivolous stuff (trying to think of an example, but really.. the post would be banned). After a time though, you start to see how pointless that stuff is. Real life can be just as exciting and interesting - if not more so - than what we feel like we have to make up.

Ethnog said:
Also, do you feel not telling someone about a situation that is happening in your life (someone very close to you) as lying? What I'm trying to say -is not saying anything at all the same as lying for you?

Again, I would be really hurt and if it's something really important, I'd be ticked. I would consider that a lie though, for sure. Generally though, if someone is close to me, I know those things and they know what's going on with me, too.

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not good at reading people, and I can only sometimes tell when I've been lied to. I'm really not a big fan of telling lies, and I do generally consider lies of omission to be actual lies.

I mean, if I kissed a girl and MEANT it, and DIDN"T tell Keri "Hey, even though I've been crushing on you, there's this other girl in real life that I've been kissing.", I would consider that a lie. Because I'm with-holding something important to her decision-making process. (No, I haven't been, was thinking of an example :p) Or, if I DIDN"T tell my boss that I hadn't completely finished that report, even though it was due today and he just didn't notice. If he needs to present it to someone and it isn't done, it would be my job to have told him so the company doesn't look dumb in front of a client or something.

Metherion

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can't stand liars either. They should all have their tongues cut off.
I'm surprisingly good at detecting liars, probably because I look people in the eyes when I talk to them.
Myself, I don't lie of course, being the model of all role models.

Funny you say that, but I've learned to look at people when I talk to them. I usually lose my train of thought when I look at someone while I'm talking. I always like looking around while I'm talking to someone. But when they talk to me, I look at them, and carefully listen cause I'm way to intrigued at what they are saying to pay attention to anything else.

Upvote 0

PinkSweetart

Robots and rainbows, magic and mischief! ;)
Jan 27, 2008
:) <--- This smiley likes you.
✟34,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes I can read people, other times I can't. It all depends on their closeness to me. Or maybe some people are really bad liars.

If someone lies to me yeah, I'm going to be hurt, but then I realize I'm no better. I can't sit here and say I've never told a lie, because I have. Sometimes it's just easier. Just as I would like to be forgiven, I'm going to forgive those that lie to me. However, if someone were to constantly lie to me, I'd have to end that friendship for the sake of my sanity. I will forgive them, though. It won't be easy, especially if it meant loosing a friendship, but it can be done.

As for the second question, no I don't think it's a lie unless someone were to ask you about the situation. Otherwise it just be considered withholding the facts.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

There was a time not so long ago when I actually considered getting a Twitter account to document all the ridiculous things flying around my head all day-long; some truthful things, but others... just so ridiculous. Purely for [laughs] and giggles. Not so much lies, but definitely frivolous stuff (trying to think of an example, but really.. the post would be banned). After a time though, you start to see how pointless that stuff is. Real life can be just as exciting and interesting - if not more so - than what we feel like we have to make up.

You'd make an awesome tweeter - keep considering that account.

I'm not the most naive guy in the world, but if someone did lie to me and I found out about it later, I don't think I'd be able to trust them again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am wondering about this because, for many reasons I don't know why, when I'm in the car I think about way too many random things. I should listen to music instead. loll.

Really bad example (not so yummy in my head right now), but thats all I could come up with for the moment.

Listen to music in the car. ;)

I've dated someone who lies for no reason, just to lie, it's a habit. It's annoying and after awhile just grows taxing. There is no reason to lie about the stupid things they do and then they have to keep reinventing lies to cover old insignificant ones.

Not saying anything all is not lying. We are not obliged to reveal that which we do not wish to, for whatever reason, even if asked.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I read people fairly well.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not dishonest to keep a secret or maintain a modicum of privacy. Unless one is trying to cover up criminal activity and/or putting somebody at risk by withholding information, it's nobody else's business.

Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you that was an extremely insightful comment back, TheDarkestOfAngels. I have much to say about it, but will do so later on.

Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas.

Btw, Noodles, you are the one who lied to me, and I caught you in that lie, and you still haven't fixed my car.

Upvote 0

NoodlesNoodlesNoodles

I am a bad person.
Jan 30, 2010
La la land.
✟14,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Btw, Noodles, you are the one who lied to me, and I caught you in that lie, and you still haven't fixed my car.
Noggy, I hate to be the harbinger of sorrows, but you're car is no longer fit to be called a "car". Neither I nor anyone else can fix that expression of modern art, a large part of which is still scattered across all 6 lanes of I-5 Northbound. (BTW, I refer to your former automobile as "Ode to the LAPD and Why Charging Toll Booths is a Bad Idea")

I hawked a painting to a private collector in the Czech Republic so I'll just buy you a new one. This should arrive shortly, but you'll have to sign for it:

230885378xzLwLf_ph.jpg

Upvote 0