Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am a seminary student and am interested in learning about the Greeg Septuagint and its relevance today to the orthodox churches of the 21st century.

What is a good book that has the English translation and ideally some commentary or application notes to go along with it as a study bible usually has? Can you post a link to the actual book you would suggest at an online bookstore so I might buy it if I think it looks good?

Is there a version of LXX that contains 2 (or 4) Esdras or is that only available thru a 1611 KJV Apocryphia?

I understand these are non-canonical books, so I will treat them as such, but it seems worth knowing just like the writings of the Jewish Historian Josephus, along with other ancient books, more to see what it is all about than to influence my faith, which I describe as Baptist in doctrine, Pentecostal in practice, and Calvinist in theology.

For those who have read LXX and are also orthodox Chrisitans, what did you get out of it? Is it worth reading? I also have read the book of Mormon and the Quran, so I am mature in my faith, having been a Christian for 34 years and now working on a masters degree in seminary in my late 50's. I'm also a former engineer and have studied apologetics, so don't fear that I might be led astray. I simply am interested in world religion because one day I hope to be a hospital and hospice chaplain, in addition to being a chaplain here on Christian Forums (where I'm currently an Assistant Chaplain).

JesusFreak78

Reformed Baptist
Feb 11, 2005
Minnesota, USA
✟27,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I am a seminary student and am interested in learning about the Greeg Septuagint and its relevance today to the orthodox churches of the 21st century.

What is a good book that has the English translation and ideally some commentary or application notes to go along with it as a study bible usually has? Can you post a link to the actual book you would suggest at an online bookstore so I might buy it if I think it looks good?

Is there a version of LXX that contains 2 (or 4) Esdras or is that only available thru a 1611 KJV Apocryphia?

I understand these are non-canonical books, so I will treat them as such, but it seems worth knowing just like the writings of the Jewish Historian Josephus, along with other ancient books, more to see what it is all about than to influence my faith, which I describe as Baptist in doctrine, Pentecostal in practice, and Calvinist in theology.

For those who have read LXX and are also orthodox Chrisitans, what did you get out of it? Is it worth reading? I also have read the book of Mormon and the Quran, so I am mature in my faith, having been a Christian for 34 years and now working on a masters degree in seminary in my late 50's. I'm also a former engineer and have studied apologetics, so don't fear that I might be led astray. I simply am interested in world religion because one day I hope to be a hospital and hospice chaplain, in addition to being a chaplain here on Christian Forums (where I'm currently an Assistant Chaplain).
Not that this is what you asked about, but my mother bought me a modern English translation of the Tahakh, and I found it very enlightening in many passages, compared to the 'more Christian' versions. The 'ancient Israel' feel to it explains a lot that the usual versions don't.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Mark. I will put it in my "save for later" block so I can ask for a copy at Christmas! I try to study more than what I believe, because I feel like to be an effective witness, I need to have some basic understand of what others base their beliefs upon, not that this particular book will be one that conflicts with my beliefs, but I say that because I have a collection of many such books, so I'll add it to the library!

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,552.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I own the Orthodox Study Bible and the Orthodox New Testament and Psalms. I used the Study Bible for a year and found it useful. The notes are pretty good if you're interested in Orthodoxy but I do not recall the notes as being extensive when dealing with the LXX.

Only Negligible Differences?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,020.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Holy Cross Orthodox Press have a number of books with patristic homilies on books of the Old Testament. That is probably the closest you will get to study notes on the Septuagint. If you are wanting to focus on differences between the Septuagint and the Masoretic text, then perhaps St John Chrysostom's commentary on the Psalms might be of interest.

Upvote 0