Cair Paravel
✟20,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to any people who are just starting or if you were with us with The Magician's Nephew. To help discussion get going I will ask a few questions each week. Feel free to post other questions and comment. We have some first time Narnia readers so try to answer the questions based on what is known so far.

Here are chapters one and two which we will be doing this week.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - CHAPTER ONE
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - CHAPTER TWO

1. If you found a snow-covered wood in an old wardrobe and knew nothing about Narnia, what would you do?

2. Why do you think Lucy went so willingly with Mr. Tumnus?

3. Why do you think Mr. Tumnus entered the service of the white witch?

4.What was your favorite part/least favorite part? Why?

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
1. If you found a snow-covered wood in an old wardrobe and knew nothing about Narnia, what would you do?

As a kid I would run in fear. As an adult I would, first, grab something to defend myself.

She must've thought she was just dreaming or something...maybe the place itself enchanted her to lower her defenses. Or maybe, since she was a chosen one, she was already acting according to her future role (SPOILER).

I think he did it out of fear, desperation, and ignorance. He looked around and saw that the white witch had full control of his dreary world and he must have felt powerless to resist the creeping cold snap of his lonely heart.

My favorite part is when Lucy is groping around in the darkened wardrobe...a "Dweller on the threshold"...just before the first crunch of snow...

There are no "least favorites" with Lewis.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Even more interesting: if someone told you that they found a snow-covered wood in an old wardrobe and knew nothing about Narnia, what would you do?

Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Welcome to any people who are just starting or if you were with us with The Magician's Nephew. To help discussion get going I will ask a few questions each week. Feel free to post other questions and comment. We have some first time Narnia readers so try to answer the questions based on what is known so far.

Here are chapters one and two which we will be doing this week.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - CHAPTER ONE
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - CHAPTER TWO

1- I think I would have returned to my older brothers and sisters and than all go together.

sorry I did not see you posted two chapters. I will have to go back and read the second.

Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Even more interesting: if someone told you that they found a snow-covered wood in an old wardrobe and knew nothing about Narnia, what would you do?

call them crazy of course.

Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

2- Great question. I really dont know, she seemed to accept Narnia pretty easily. Kids.

3-Fear or it seems perhaps money.

4- Mr.Tumnus cave/house. Self sufficient low costs.

Upvote 0

Sir Edmon the Just

Feb 8, 2019
Cair Paravel
✟20,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sir Edmon the Just

Feb 8, 2019
Cair Paravel
✟20,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This week we will be doing chapters 5 and 6.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - CHAPTER FIVE
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - CHAPTER SIX

1.Why do you think Edmund suggested leaving the wardrobe?

2.What sort of guilt might Edmund be experiencing when they discover Tumnus' house has been ransacked? Do you think he feels any sense of responsibility, or is he trying to somehow justify his actions to himself?

2- I am not sure he put allot of thought into it. I think at this point he still thinks the white witch might be the "good guys" rather than the faun.

One thing I noticed from chapter 5 it reads

"We were afraid it mightn't even be lying," said Susan; "we thought there might be something wrong with Lucy."

"Madness, you mean?" said the Professor quite coolly. "Oh, you can make your minds easy about that. One has only to look at her and talk to her to see that she is not mad."

"But then," said Susan, and stopped. She had never dreamed that a grown-up would talk like the Professor and didn't know what to think.

"Logic!" said the Professor half to himself. "Why don't they teach logic at these schools? There are only three possibilities. Either your sister is telling lies, or she is mad, or she is telling the truth. You know she doesn't tell lies and it is obvious that she is not mad For the moment then and unless any further evidence turns up, we must assume that she is telling the truth."

This, I think, is what Lewis says about Christ.

I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

So I think Lucy talking about Narnia as a real place and her testimony. Gives Peter, the professor, and Susan in Narnia the same three options we have with Jesus, and those who testified to his reality in the gospels.

Upvote 0